• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your IQs and a bit on why I'm asking and how it relates to autism

Fare enough i change my Sig & info again to prevent further confusion then .Thank you kindly for the heads up.

The problem i have is that they havent bothered to put in any level in my papers only ASD so i have to try to figure the level myself based on the criterias for said level
Oh, I see. The level thing is quite new so maybe you had a diagnosis before the levels appeared.

My IQ is high. I've been diagnosed with Aspergers. My executive functioning leaves something to be desired, but I am a fierce competitor in pub trivia.

Happend to stumble over this interesting article reg IQ and the UNreliability it has with us on the spectrum

Do people with autism or Asperger’s score higher on IQ tests

WRITTEN BY

Natalie Engelbrecht
Dr. Natalie Engelbrecht BA MSc ND RP; Registered Psychotherapist, Naturopathic Doctor, and Researcher

Do people with autism or Asperger’s score higher on IQ tests?

There is evidence that suggests some people with ASD have higher IQs, while other people with ASD have lower IQs. Furthermore, the documented IQ of individuals with ASD may be lower than in actuality due to issues with IQ test-taking.

A substantial proportion of individuals with ASD suffer from severe to mild intellectual disability. Research shows that of people with ASD, 55% had an intellectual disability (IQ <70) but only 16% had moderate to severe intellectual disability (IQ <50); 28% had an average intelligence (IQ 85–115), and only 3% were of above average intelligence (IQ >115)")

That said, the IQ range for ASD has altered over time. Between 1966 to 1998, studies found that about 20% of the people with ASD functioned in the “normal range” of intelligence. By 2014, 50% of people with ASD had average or above-average intelligence (IQ >85), 33% of people with ASD had an intellectual disability, and 23% had borderline IQ scores (71–85). The alteration of IQs in ASD may be a result of including people with milder forms of autism, such as high-functioning autism.

Nevertheless, average to above average IQs and even giftedness are also present in individuals with ASD, though the exact percentage is unclear. It has been found that those carrying genetic variants linked to autism had slightly better test scores on average than those who did not carry the autism genes"). Rather, it indicates that autistic individuals with high IQs are actually purer cases of autism without additional difficulties. When compared to neurotypicals social cognition, visual pattern recognition and verbal working memory was poorer in people with ASD. So it seems that although there is a correlation between genetic variants linked to autism and intelligence both on the lower and higher side.

Also, it should be considered that autism can actually undermine one’s ability to take IQ tests and achieve a high score. A different study has found that autism features may vary in relation to intelligence, and thus have different effects on the IQ scores"). The study shows that children with autism who have IQs below 85 show cognitive problems similar to those of controls with equivalent IQs, but children with autism who have IQ scores higher than 115 do much worse on cognitive tests than the controls with similar IQs. So it seems the higher the IQ, the greater the discrepancy between measured IQ and potential ability; among children with above-average IQs, those with autism had substantially lower cognitive scores than controls did.

A different study has looked into a potential correlation between autism and high IQ in child prodigies"). Three out of the eight prodigies were found to have autism diagnoses, and four out of eight had close relatives with autism (a total of 11 relatives were reported to be on the autism spectrum). However, surprisingly some of these prodigies didn’t have elevated IQs in correlation with their performance; one of them had an IQ of “only” 108. So it seems this study also suggests some remarkable abilities can be found in individuals with autism spectrum disorders, despite not scoring that high on IQ. Although, take this with a pinch of salt, because obviously this study looked into child prodigies, who are not representative of the average person with autism. Child prodigies have an exceptional working memory, which is not directly linked to autism.

What it comes down to is that the results of both IQ and cognitive tests can be unreliable in people with autism.

My IQ right now is 68 (official Nuropsychologist test)

I have moderate autism with intellectual impairment

I am Almost embarrassed to say that my IQ was that low but my iq has nothing to do with the way I am and my personality

I know that I am amazing just the way I am as many people have told me in the past as well

Having an intellectual disability can be a bit challenging at times

Always having to work much harder than others

And I’m not sure if this is an autistic thing or an intellectual disability thing but having so much to say but at the same time nothing to say because the words won’t come out if you know what I mean

You know you have something to say but you have no idea how to say it and not even know what you were going to say in the first place sometimes

It can be frustrating

Last edited:
There's a pretty weird dichotomy going on here. People with an IQ of 132 saying "It's nothing special" and those with an IQ of 68 saying "I'm intellectually disabled". Both are just outside the 2nd standard deviation of intelligence.

Also there's a continent where the average IQ is 60-70. It's called Africa. The vast majority of the world has an average IQ below 100. The average world IQ is below 90, and it's rapidly declining. So if you live long enough you might be a genius in an idiocracy world.

Having a disability is not having an IQ below 70 or whatever. Psychologists are stupid. Would they analyze an average African, come up with an IQ of 65 and label them intellectually disabled? No they would never. But they will do it to someone that's not neurotypical, it's a discriminatory form of labeling. Disability has to come from certain areas of the brain that do not work properly, such as the various issues we have due to Autism. Is there something such as low functioning and high functioning cerebral palsy? Low and high functioning wheelchair users? It sounds frigging stupid because it is. 1-2-3 Autism makes more sense because it actually describes the problems, although with psychologists being stupid they are still going to mislabel (I got labeled as type 2 so it was thought I would forever need my family to take care of me).

Actually as is stated in my signature the importance of actually HAVE to have IQ under 70 to be diagnosed Intellectual disability has been DOWN sized in the actual diagnosis tools its still a valid key but you NO longer from DSM -V have to have a stipulated demand that you have to have a certain lower (below 70 ) IQ .What is tho is that you have to have SEVERELY lower Cognitive and Adaptive functions (ie Executive functions. )

And as i happen to discover yesterday in my older Neurological evaluations papers i was diagnosed with said criterias for MILD Intellectual disability 2001 & again 2006 only then it was still required to also have a IQ of under 70. I had ALL the other criterias tho. & still have them

And Jennie neither YOU or me have ANYTHING to feel ashamed of with ANY of our Diagnosis My friend. Nor our Lower then average IQ scores (HUG ) im NOT ashamed for ANY of my diagnosis or Severe lower then average IQ scores. NOT happy about them either but NOT ashamed.

Last edited:
I've been tested at 150 before. It's interesting but that's about it. I don't think of myself as any better overall than anyone else. I'm the youngest engineer at my work and my boss says I'm the best one at the engineering, but he knows I'm no good at going on the road or dealing with customers like most of my coworkers take for granted. Like many people (especially here with the spiky skill set) I'm excellent at some things but absolutely horrid at others.

"IQ--"

"IT DOESN'T MATTER"

"I was just gonna say that IQ--"

"I HAVE AN IQ OF XXX BUT IT MEANS NOTHING"

"--is interesting."

"...You're wrong."

":confused:"

Anyway, I think IQ tests are fun and that IQ is interesting, which isn't to say that I think our IQs should be tattooed on our faces and determine every facet of our lives.

They're more like horoscopes, and if every time somebody brought up horoscopes everyone started talking about how little theirs affects the reality of their lives, then you can start to see how I'm reading all of this. ;)

I've never had mine tested properly, but I think @Fino is right, that it is interesting in some ways. And so long as we use a critical eye when considering results (for e.g. it's just one type of intelligence, or, as someone mentioned it may not be reliable for testing those with ASD), then I don't think there is anything wrong with the tests.

I took an online test once that was meant to be similar to an IQ test - can't remember the name of the company I did it through - and I scored in the upper normal range. Turns out I'm not a genius but I think of myself as a smart person who has a few difficulties in specific areas and also I don't always have the best memory.

My guess is if I did a proper IQ test I wouldn't do that well. I hate most puzzles and I am not great at math. I even get upset at crosswords sometimes. I have trouble getting the answers. Then if the answer is given to me I KNOW IT. I know the words - but I can't get them for the puzzle. It drives me crazy. :p

Short term memory problems and PTSD from life incidents six years ago combined with
anxiety and depression have brought my last IQ score I took during a neuroscience
exam down..

Hi SusanLR. I missed this part when you posted the other day. I think that PTSD might have much bigger effects on memory than we realise currently. A few years back I scanned for research on it and there weren't that many papers, as I recall. But perhaps there has been more recently. I hope so.

Reg online IQ tests heres what i found reg this

How reliable are online IQ tests? IQ tests are absolutely not accurate and it doesn't measure your intelligence. It may measure a certain type of intelligence such as mathematical logic, but nothing more. ... But it's not and never will define your overall intelligence.Mar 5, 2018

Last edited:
You can test someone's intelligence with just simple personality questions about what they enjoy and how they look at things. It's not the same, but the results have a strong correlation with actual IQ tests. Math has nothing to do with it, you could use such a test on someone with certain disabilities that makes them ill-suited to traditional IQ tests and still get an accurate result.

I don't know what my IQ is, and I don't trust online IQ tests online. Most of them are biased towards women and minorities and ask questions we have trouble relating to.

I've been told in the past that I'm intelligent, but it's not true. I can't even do everyday things a person with average intelligence has no problems doing, and no one has a clue how to teach me since they were never taught how themselves, they think anyone can do it naturally.

I don't know what my IQ is, and I don't trust online IQ tests online. Most of them are biased towards women and minorities and ask questions we have trouble relating to.

I've been told in the past that I'm intelligent, but it's not true. I can't even do everyday things a person with average intelligence has no problems doing, and no one has a clue how to teach me since they were never taught how themselves, they think anyone can do it naturally.
Well that could be executive functioning and stuff which isnt the same as intelligence

Never thought of that angle i have to admit

Like Arctic fox says i agree. Just because i for one as well as Jennie have limited executive functions do NOT mean diddly in the overall how intelligent we are but indeed causes our IQ to be measured lower then it should otherwise be. As been stated above as one reason that us under the spectrum are NOT suitable for Accurate IQ tests (same most defently for us with ADHD ).

And i also have those problems with failing ord simple stuff that ord people does not have any problems with

And btw its a medically acknowledged fact that with this Neuropsychological diagnosis were usely up to 15 -20 points below in IQ tests in general due to said fact of our " tics " as well as in many cases lower Executive functions (exceptions are of course also evident on the trully gifted side) for which is a huge part of a IQ test in general.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom