• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are the most over rated books of all time?

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I really wanted to love this book, and it's ok and quite readable, but certainly not deserving of the praise heaped upon it.

The Alchemist by Paolo Coalo . I do really like this book, and I've read it twice, but I don't think it's really that deep. The hidden message is not that well handled, and I found myself thinking I'd either missed it, or felt under whelmed.

Both are well worth a read, but very over rated.

I liked The Alchemist but not sure it was supposed to have a hidden message. The writing style was maybe what got it so much praise.
Over rated books, maybe the whole Carlos Casteneda series given they may be, actually probably are , bogus?

On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I really wanted to love this book, and it's ok and quite readable, but certainly not deserving of the praise heaped upon it.

The Alchemist by Paolo Coalo . I do really like this book, and I've read it twice, but I don't think it's really that deep. The hidden message is not that well handled, and I found myself thinking I'd either missed it, or felt under whelmed.

Both are well worth a read, but very over rated.

Kerouac . You have to be drunk or high for it to work. Or up yourself.

The Satanic Verses

I liked The Alchemist but not sure it was supposed to have a hidden message. The writing style was maybe what got it so much praise.
Over rated books, maybe the whole Carlos Casteneda series given they may be, actually probably are , bogus?

I was meaning the idea that you get what you think about. Your predominant thoughts create your reality.

The Bridges of Madison County. Only read it because Stephen King had listed it among the worst books ever so I had to see if it was true. It was terrible, made very little sense, and in no way was it romantic. And it was just weird in a bad way. Now I can't go near a covered bridge in Iowa.

"I'm Okay, You're Okay" - #1 Best-selling self-help book of all time.

I'm okay, you're a jerk. Hmm...someone should really write that book...

I really loved Harry Potter but then I stopped. The light, breezy adventure I sought wasn't there and eventually the books just weighed me down and made my head hurt.

The Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis. He's my favorite author and this book put him on the map, but I much prefer The Pilgrim's Regress, though it was panned and sold poorly. Screwtape Letters suck.

I love the Lord of the Rings, but whenever I read it through it seems like half of the 600,000 words are explaining Frodo and Sam moving about and hiding in some dark, gloomy place.

I don't really like Stephen King, not really caring for fake gore and violence (there's already enough creepy in the world), but his Shawshank Redemption (a.k.a Rita Hayworth:)) is my favorite movie, along with Amelie. I also liked the Green Mile.

I am not a big fan of the classics, but I'm glad I've read some.

My favorite books:

Wind in the Willows
The Hobbit
Anything Calvin and Hobbes
Many Waters
A Wrinkle in Time
James
Joel
Sadly, a few Hardy Boys and Nancy Drews:)
Out of the Silent Planet
The Horse and His Boy
The Pilgrim's Regress
The Reward of the Blings? Who knows;)

Rise and fall of the roman empire, have made it through much of it at one time or another, but could never finish it without attempting to slap myself in the head with the excruciating pain of boredom. The documented stories are far more interesting than this dry analysis and recounting.

War and peace. Keeping the names and nicknames and family ancestry in mind while reading, made me continually distracted. It seemed much like a convoluted bedtime story meant to inspire both compassion and loyalty. Tolstoy's 'peasant and master' tales, have a kind of annoying hierarchical tone that I dislike.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I have nothing against Austen. I know many people love her works. But I've tried many times to read this book and can never get past the first chapter.

The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain. I don't remember much about this book. I read it so long ago. I just remember it being incredibly boring and grammatically incorrect.

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. Nope. Not my cup of tea.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I don't know why so many people brag about how great this book is. For me, all of the pop culture references didn't distract enough from the flat, mediocre writing.

Ulysses by James Joyce. This might not count as overrated... All I know is it's probably the worst book I've ever read. It's a torture to read. It's like, yes, there are words on the page. Yes, I know I can read those words and can guess that the author meant something by them, but whatever that something is makes no sense to me.

Anything I was forced to read in English class.

The Lord of the Flies
Mr. Pygmalion
Bless the Beasts and the Children
Brave New World
Animal Farm

All those books seem to be written to make young people hate life.

More recent stuff:

The Da Vinci Code. The guy makes up crap about science, math and the solar system that is blatantly wrong, writes terribly, and fails to create any sympathetic characters.

The Da Vinci Code.

It wasn’t bad, but not deserving of all the praise it got, in my opinion.

I watched the film but couldn't get through the book of the da vinci code. Ditto The name of the Rose. Sense and sensibility was disappointing with a wishy-washy central character I wanted to slap. And that's not like me.

Non fiction I found Raising Parents by Patricia Crittenden very dry despite the important and relevant content about the type of attachment problems parents who may harm neglect or endanger their children may have developed due to their own upbringing traumas.

New Threads

Top Bottom