• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weather

Dadamen

One of my few autistic intersets is weather and meterology. Currently I'm a bit worried because it is summer, but I don't feel like it's summer because the weather is rainy and colder than usual in July. I live in Croatia where summers are normally pretty hot and often dry. At the seaside it is usually hot and dry and the sea is warm, but this year it wasn't hot, some days were cloudy, rainy and windy and the sea was cooler than ususal. My theory about bad summer weather is that oceans are warming because of global warming and then the clouds are forming a lot above Atlantic and those clouds bring us rain, wind and low temperatures. Write what is your opinion about weather this summer, are you happy with the weather, is it too cold, or maybe too hot in some parts of the world?

Here in the North-Eastern Atlantic we’ve had a mild winter, an early spring heatwave (think that’s a first in my adult life: can remember it snowing at Easter at least once), torrential rain a month later than normal, and now a normal first half of summer: generally warm & dry with bursts of heavy rain once or twice a fortnight.

Northern England, rainy and cool for the time of year, it's been quite windy too. We had an unusually warm early summer, in lockdown and after, and now it seems almost autumnal. A lot of plants seemed to flower early, but now the rain is discouraging growth I think, plants are getting swamped.

I’m in the Welsh Borders area of the UK by the way, a couple of hundred or more miles south of thinx: weather tends to be milder here.

I live in the deep south of the USA near the Gulf of Mexico. We have what meteorologists call "a lot of weather", and this is a favored place for them to study extreme weather events. The warmer the weather this time of year, the greater the danger of hurricanes, tornadoes, horrific storms, etc. The Gulf waters are very warm now and there currently is cyclonic activity in the middle of it which may or may not form into a hurricane. It's early in the hurricane season so who knows what the future months will bring. Autumn is always the worst. I'm very attuned to the weather and have several barometers what I keep an eye on during the season. Global warming is happening (politics aside), and it increases the risk and severity of these killer storms. Almost all people who live here are well aware of the potential and do a good job of protecting themselves from it.

Interesting trivia - the word "hurricane" is from the Mayan name for their storm god. I think is so cool that a word used all over the world originated with an ancient people who knew, understood, and feared the storm god.

I think no matter what, whether it's heatwaves or it's a mild summer this year, it will be attributed to global warming warning signs.

East Anglia in UK here. Mild winter, a hot spell in spring and a mild and quite wet summer thus far.

Ed

In my area of the PNW we actually had a relatively "normal" winter for us, where it did snow a few times, but not often. It was still oddly rainy. Spring was actually really short and it felt like summer halfway through, but despite that actual summer has been mild compared to the past few ones.

I moved to north of Seattle in 2014. And it was a very sunny and warm/hot summer for here. And the talk was how much the weather had changed from "the old days". But I found out later on this was due to a weather phenomenon called "El Nino".

This year the summer weather has so far been like "the old days". It has been mostly cool and overcast.

Around a couple of years ago there was a pretty substantial snowfall for this area. Last winter was pretty average. Mostly cold and rainy.

Thank you for your answers! UK is famous for their rainy weather, but I found out that the normal yearly amout of rain in London is actually lower than the one in Zagreb. That is all a habit. In my country summers are often very hot (hotter than 35 C), and I feel like there is no summer if it rains often and isn't hot. This year we had an April heatwave and drought, but from May to now it is raining every 3 days.

The weather here in Alberta has been very wet, lots of rain in June, it seems like almost every day there has been a thunder storm warning or watch issued... Not very many super warm days

Perhaps unseasonably cool rainy weather in the northern hemisphere is due to greatly reduced co2 emissions this year because of quarantines. There are some who claim that without global warming we would be in the beginnings of another ice age. Also I heard that the sun is going into a less active phase called solor cooling.

Tonight... No classic car cruise with this kind of weather...

Rain 03.jpg

On a positive note, I am getting lots of epic cloud photos lately... Last weekend...

We Are Classics 50.jpg

And this photo was really strange, I'm not even sure the camera knew how to handle the lighting but it was a very strange cloud formation...

We Are Classics 52.jpg

Thank you for your answers! UK is famous for their rainy weather, but I found out that the normal yearly amout of rain in London is actually lower than the one in Zagreb. That is all a habit. In my country summers are often very hot (hotter than 35 C), and I feel like there is no summer if it rains often and isn't hot. This year we had an April heatwave and drought, but from May to now it is raining every 3 days.
Yes, the UK does have areas and localities where rainfall is a relatively rare event: particularly in the south and east of the mainland. The very rainy areas are the mountainous regions up the western side of the country and the areas to the immediate east of them: prevailing air currents over the Atlantic drag warm moist air originating in the Caribbean over the Cambrians, Pennines & Grampians.
Same thing happens to Ireland (hence the nickname “The Emerald Isle”).
There’s a place in West Yorkshire called Todmorden where they have an average of less than seven dry days a year at the wettest end of the spectrum: and at the other end where my sister lives in Bedfordshire it hasn’t rained since January (so she tells me anyway).

As far south USA, mid-FL region is having very hot summers now for several years.
Hot gulf waters are already spawning minor hurricanes.
Warm winter, dry heat wave in spring, now turned into everyday thunderstorms and very hot.
Living on the gulf, hurricanes are a major concern. Looks like it's going to be an active year.

There was a flooding in Zagreb tonight, luckilly I live in a suburb, not in centre. I don't think this is because of reduced CO2 due to quarantine. I think that ocean surface is heating due to global warming, then making clouds and bringing us rain, my parents say that in early 1990s the summers were hot and dry and these years golbal temperatures dropped due to Mount Pinatubo eruption and there were less cyclones. This year only February was unsesonably warm, in all other months there were cold periods and the temperatures around 1980-2010 average.

New Threads

Top Bottom