• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Visiting my Anti-Vax Mother and a Bunch of Other Stuff

AylaM

I'm visiting my parents in April for two weeks. They are very much against most things vaccine-related, with my mother proudly calling herself an Anti-Vaxer.

This doesn't bother me much, as they are free to believe whatever they like, but what bothers me is the incessant talking about vaccines. My father will join in the conversation if it is brought up — he doesn't always initiate it though. My mother on the other hand is utterly obsessed with the topic, especially as it ties in with her other beliefs of government-related conspiracies. The government is always out to get you, in her eyes. This has been a hard feeling for me to shake after being brought up in such an environment, I hope you can understand why I have only just now chosen to get my first vaccine ever. I haven't even had my childhood immunisations, which I also plan to get in the near future.

They are incredibly sure about their belief in God (they are Pentecostal to be precise) and my mother in particular will voice these beliefs at any chance she gets, to any person with any belief in any situation. She doesn't understand when it becomes uncomfortable for other people to listen to, she is a passionate preacher about any topic she believes in.

She will regularly engage in a one-way conversation where she spouts her beliefs at you regardless of your own, regardless of how this makes you feel, and regardless of any other information presented to her, be it as a debate, trying to engage in the conversation, or trying to open her heart to other ways of thinking — she will vehemently counter it with Bible verses, other religious beliefs or her own beliefs she has accumulated over the years. Most of them have their roots in her belief in God, they can all be traced back to that and she will happily take you along her train of thought herself.

My problem isn't with what she believes, my problem lies in trying to talk with her.
Every new piece of information she is presented with, even when she couldn't possibly know about it, it's "I know, I know," before launching into some conspiracy about the government or something God-related. She finds a way to bring up whatever she is currently passionate about, no matter what the topic of conversation is. It is very difficult to keep her on track, because she just wants to preach. That's all she does.

My father is sure in his beliefs too, but he doesn't have the same preach-y-ness about him, he will give you a chance to speak and consider what you are saying. He considers new ways of thinking moreso than my mother does, even though he will probably die set in his ways too. That's okay because I can still talk to him. But mum, it's hard to talk to her.

I began struggling in high school due to my, at the time, undiagnosed Autism. It's a long story but the relevance to this is that every conversation we ever had turned into "you should be at school."
"you're getting behind, you need to be at school."
"I keep getting texts from the school about you not being there."

At the time we didn't have a full picture of what we were dealing with, and while I agree it'd have been ideal for me to have been able to stay in class and not always be safe in the music department (special interest at the time), I wasn't coping with school and I needed help. Unfortunately my mum did not help by preaching to me about school no matter what we were talking about. This is where our relationship grew very distant, and it has been like this since.

She has always preached, I remember it right through childhood and she still does it to this day. It didn't bother me the same as a child, I accepted a lot of what she said as truth only to find out in my later teens that I believed very different things to her, and that my beliefs are ever-developing and I'm okay with that. Regardless of what you believe, I hope you can see how it would be difficult for such a person to deal with someone who is so set in their ways.

I want to connect with my mother conversationally, not just through my love for her and hers for me. I suppose I need to accept this likely won't happen, I already have frankly. Sometimes I just feel sad I can't have that closeness with my own mother. I haven't experienced much closeness with either parent to be honest, they both physically and emotionally abused me through my childhood mostly due to misunderstandings that a diagnosis could have greatly helped.

I think my mother held back on getting me help despite knowing I needed it, she was always fending for me against the rest of the family, I am the youngest of eight and I got along with next to none of them no matter how hard I tried. I just thought very differently and I didn't understand when I was hurting them, and they didn't understand when they were hurting me.
But I know Autism was mentioned as a possibility to mum when she visited the school councellor who saw me a few times. I know this because she brought it up herself when we were talking about my Autism in later years. She won't be clear on how the conversation unfolded (which is most unusual for her unless she is hiding something, and I have caught her lying many times so I know how she acts when she is), but the impression I get is that she somewhat shaked off the possibility. I could have really done with a diagnosis in those years.

I also wonder if she thinks vaccines cause Autism, I'm too unsure to ask her. It would be amusing to me though, if she thought that and turned out with an Autistic child she never got vaccinated. I'm pretty sure a large percentage of my siblings are also on the Spectrum.

It makes me sad that my parents will probably die while I am still young, they had me in their 40s. It also makes me sad that I will probably never connect with them in the way I long for. I don't think their death will affect me profoundly, the gap that will leave is probably smaller than the gap I'd have lived with my whole life leading to it. I wish they never hit me, I wish they were kinder to me and I wish I had the input I needed to understand and navigate the world around me. I know I cannot change things but I am just for now, fully indulging in wishing things were different.

I received no input from them growing up other than religious teachings. I don't know much about anything as a result of it. It is incredibly hard for me to not feel like I'm useless and stupid every day. I couldn't finish school because I needed extra help and didn't recieve it, so no qualifications (the only help my mother gave me was literally doing the project herself, not teaching me). I cannot study after proving that to myself post-high-school. I cannot do most jobs because I don't understand things, and because I don't have any qualifications.
I am quite sure I also have ADHD which makes it incredibly hard for me to get anything done on top of my Autism-related struggles. This is not a victimhood mentality, this is just an observation.

I seriously don't know much, and I have no confidence largely due to this. I cannot learn without having a teacher teach it to me, I do not have the funds available to hire such a person. I do not even understand how to do basic living things such as cooking (though I now have a lovely lady who has offered to teach me). The things I do know how to do, I greatly struggle with because I am always panicking about things in my head. I live in fear, I was brought up in fear and everything around me makes me fearful. I am utterly terrified of everything.

I am struggling with the work shifts I am able to do, I've had to stand down from my previous position which involved driving as I have developed a fear of driving. Now even the basic work in the store feels like a monumental task I cannot overcome, I get panicky and teary. I often have to leave early. How am I ever going to manage in life if I can't even get through basic work? If I'm at home doing nothing, I get bored and depressed. Which is every day at the moment. Planners don't help, reminders don't help, schedules, alarms, accountability-partners don't help. I cannot get things done and I feel like a useless sack of crap for it.

I am going to see someone about medication to help with my anxiety, because that is where all of my problems are stemming from — fear. I cannot change my thinking through courses like CBT and DBT, positive thinking doesn't get me far, breathing techniques aren't much use, philosophical ideas, as much as they intrigue me, haven't gotten me far either. I have tried with the limited resources, limited knowledge, and limited abilities that I do have, and I am rapidly regressing now that I am so anxious every day.

Much of what I'm sure you will say, is what I would say to another in this position. I am good at solving other people's problems but I greatly struggle with my own. I have a reason why everything doesn't work, and yes I can see that may be my problem. But how can I convince myself of something I don't believe?
I believe I don't know much, because I quite literally don't compared to most others. I don't know if I come across as otherwise in the way that I write, but if you talked to me about an every-day topic in person I would probably be blank.
I believe I cannot do things because I am quite literally, not doing things. I have no confidence because I don't know things and can't do things.
Confidence comes from doing things, not fantasizing about doing things. I can't get the evidence behind me and the momentum going, even though I was getting there a few years ago.

I know, that's a lot of "don'ts" and" can'ts" but I can't sugarcoat everything I say, I am being upfront about my experience right now and it is quite frankly, crap. I know I must be doing things to keep it that way but I've really been dealt a extremely bad hand in life with certain things, it feels insurmountable at times and this is one of them. I'm still young yes, but having my whole life ahead of me is as much daunting as it is depressing. I don't want a whole life of this, I don't know how to change it. I can't magically change my thinking if the thing I'm being told to think is not something I believe. If it clicks, it clicks, but even then I struggle to implement anything.

Thanks for reading this far, I know I've written a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
TRIGGER WARNING ,Panic disorder for 17 years, research that term!, see if it clicks,research cptsd
Go to the library ,get books for young children on whatever is available ,that you want !to learn, ask a librarian if you can't spell the word ,become a member, tell them you're autistic, you may be given books for longer ,you need to get referred to a clinical psychologist or a free clinic, uncontrolled panic disorder is dangerous,panic cannot perceive anything that isn't bad

Join www.archive.org ,apply for print disabled status, so you can loan different forms of media(books,videos,pictures,magazines)for 14 days, its by the hour, until you have print disabled status ,but you can download ebooks.
I'm glad you're learning to cook :).

I was smacked as a child but I've forgiven my mother ,she's dead now.

Perhaps find a job that is more you only so you have less stress. I handled a retail store on my own and loved it. Another job, l had my own closet office, just loved that too. Maybe finding a better employment fit for a different position?

You and your mom may never be on the same level due to her thought process. You can just check her in place by saying yes mom, l know you are extremely passionate about antivax however l would like to shift our conversation to a topic close to me and that l feel passionate about. Of course you may have to say that 50 times until she finally owns up. And by doing this, you are being gentle and correcting her incessant mommy garble. Yes, sometimes we end up parenting our parents no matter how much we don't wish to.

Yes, things will become easier, in a couple of years. Right now it seems as if you are discovering yourself. Excellent job!!

Sometimes it is the people we are closest to who are able to harm us the most.

I have had to listen to some of that stuff too. It gets impossible to discuss or chat about any other subject, since their emotional attachment has them well and truly trapped.

It’s the most important activity to them; the talking about “all the bad things that are happening,” because of their fear.

The saddest part is how their fear eats up all of what used to be their companionable affability.

Eventually coming to realize that a parting of the ways was necessary, I left the person on their own. A completely detached love is all that is left.

I wish you the best.

They are who they are and can't really be anyone else. You certainly can't change them. Given them space, make your own life separately. Do not waste your life with anger, hate, or blame.

Just know, despite everything, that they love you.

Dear, this is no fun to deal with.

I know what you mean by Pentecostal relating everything to a sermon. The neighbors were Pentecostal preacher and his wife, when I was a kid, and they were rather persistent about the finer details of that particular faith. I am a Catholic and it's an informal rite of passage for us to get through the conversations with the people who are more Catholic than the pope without pulling out our hair. (I have been questioned for shaving my beard, listening to popular music, stimming or fidgeting or whatever the new name for it is, the list goes on.

This is weird. Ok. I think religions attract a lot of people for a lot of reasons. I'm wondering if you're dealing with the kind of people who need a deeper reason for everything. I have upstairs neighbors my landlords who are like that, watching way too much T.V. and never talking to one another without interpolation of a Tucker Carlson quote of whatever else they are listening to.

Do not give up on your own reason. Fanaticism (which is what's going on upstairs and in the way your parents are handling things) is easy to fall into, but it sounds like you are keeping clear. The thing that helps me is either keeping distance, so as to avoid providing the "supply"(fresh ears to talk into, hoping for validation in the echoing of an empty head), or taking the lead in the conversations and steering them onto neutral or positive ground.

For example... people try to get me to tag along with some politics or something, I either redirect it to history, or ignore them. Religion...I am a fairly old school Catholic which means most Protestants think I am related to Satan. But fellow Catholics are tough to talk to, so I redirect the fishing expeditions..."whaddya think of the pope" gets diverted to "does my opinion really matter? No it does not. I don't think often of the pope; he lives on the other side of the world or rent-free in your head."

The vaccine stuff is what's tough to deal with; many pro-vaccination people (myself included) are suspicious of the whole thing... probably would be less suspicious if it was not, like, perfectly poised for conspiracy theories to flourish. I don't think you can convince people who are this deeply anti-vaccination (remember this stuff started way before 2019; all your homeschooling families had some degree of skepticism, seems like. I was in that group of kids.
At this point your best plan is to build a little bit more... not a wall against your parents but a life of your own, which it sounds like you are doing. The hardest part is finding unconditional love. God bless you and you have a whole bunch of us internet reading friends standing by and hoping it all goes well.

Regarding your parents: As @Au Naturel says; they are who they are. I know how much it can hurt to feel distant from your parents when you long for a deeper connection. But it has also been my experience that in accepting them, exactly as they are, you will actually feel closer to them. Don't try to argue with them. Let your mom have her say and just remain pleasant but neutral. Neither confirm her arguments nor deny them. Engage in any conversation that is plesant to you and ignore all the rest. Should mom demand an opinion tell her "Mom, I love you. I am here to see you, not talk about myself." Then change the subject.

I don't have any other comments but I hope you are getting some good advice. Wait, one more comment. If you think you aren't handling your anxiety just now there is no shame in seeking help. Your therapist may give you other things to try like excercise, remove caffine drinks etc besides offering meds. It cam all help. Good luck!

I can’t stand people like that. It’s so uncomfortable. My mom’s narcissist husband is just like your mother. He sees nothing wrong with shoving his politics and religion in everyone’s face, constantly. I’m highly skeptical of pharmaceutical companies and the government as well, but I don’t bring these topics up in casual conversation, by no means! It’s rude. Honestly I think it comes down to a question of good manners.

Have you read 'Oranges are not the only fruit' by Jeanette Winterson? She describes some similar experiences, in addition she was growing up as a gay woman which was pretty difficult to do in such an environment. I think you are at a stage of transition with all this which is impressive at 22. You understand and describe the issues very well indeed and with admirable balance and fairness to all parties. Your thinking processes are in very good order, I would say.

That will help you with the anxiety issues too. No doubt about it, this stage of finding a fit with work for yourself is tough. I had some similar issues to you, went to University at 18 and though it was scary and I was lonely, I knew it was for the best. It got me out of home, and enabled me to start to hear and consider other ideas outside of parental beliefs or ways that were highly individual and hard to learn anything from.

After uni I tried a few jobs the first was a housing department I thought I'd be helping people but turned out there was a terrible culture of rudeness and negativity towards clients from staff, I hated it and left my executive programme after a few months to work in a benefits agency briefly then to go to uni again for a one year teaching certificate top up training. I scraped through, but by then realised I didn't want to work in schools!

I tried hostel work, which I did find a better fit, but as a career as further qualification was needed like probation officer or social worker. I was accepted for training, but then on the basis of my hostel work and teaching certificate I got a temporary training job in a Further Education college, offering entry level courses for people working or wanting to work in the care sector. Got made permanent and did that for 12 years, got promoted twice.

Later on I qualified as a counsellor wow those trainings were very helpful to me in many ways. I should add that I did a lot of personal therapy from about age 18 at university over 10 years or so, either accessed free or low cost, then later I could afford the fees as well paid. Autism wasn't identified but looking back it clearly underlay my difficulties, so though I did tons of useful work on my family issues I couldn't really crack the isolation and social difficulties that had a neurological cause. However I got by ok and usually coped, and attended all sorts of interesting therapy related events and workshops.

Have you got some qualifications or could you get some? What interests you? Many of us need extra time to more fully mature, trainings are one way to make this a win win, as you get trained and qualified in something you quite enjoy or partly enjoy, and gain life experiences that also help. Find a job you like, even if you have to start lower than you are in an area you aren't liking. It makes a big difference. I am not anxious now, lots of therapy and a better understanding of myself and others has lessened my fears. Good luck with all this. Btw my low powered but narcissistic mother is still around in her nineties, but I just listen and answer tactfully during my occasional visits.

Just to say that in fact, you are not in some much danger as them, because being vaccinated actually means that if you did get covid related disease, you are more likely to have it mild, whereas they could die. So, personally, for their health, you should abstain from spending even a day with them.

I am a quiet ant vaxer and only got vaccinated, because of the government in France stating what would occur if not vaccinated and my faith, where we have regular updates on the covid situation and guidelines on how to keep ourselves protected and my society did their own investigations on the safety of the vaccines and showed evidence of it being a good idea to be vaccinated, I did.

The only ever vaccine I had, was one time flu vaccine and got so ill, that decided that I would not go there again and, so far, only had the flu 3 times in my younger years.

I'm visiting my parents in April for two weeks. They are very much against most things vaccine-related, with my mother proudly calling herself an Anti-Vaxer.

This doesn't bother me much, as they are free to believe whatever they like, but what bothers me is the incessant talking about vaccines. My father will join in the conversation if it is brought up — he doesn't always initiate it though. My mother on the other hand is utterly obsessed with the topic, especially as it ties in with her other beliefs of government-related conspiracies. The government is always out to get you, in her eyes. This has been a hard feeling for me to shake after being brought up in such an environment, I hope you can understand why I have only just now chosen to get my first vaccine ever. I haven't even had my childhood immunisations, which I also plan to get in the near future........
I gave up on trying to repair or gain any understanding from my mother. She's too far gone down the rabbit hole. Same...religious mother, but mine has bent sensibilities warped by how 'capitalism has saved the world'. Yet, she becomes silent when I point out the fact money and the economy is a manmade construct created for consolidated power and control over large groups of people. "Mom, what fiduciary mechanism did the Neanderthals use for the meat trade?" *crickets chirping*. Here's her latest statement, "You're not Autistic, it's because you're not assertive and lack confidence.". The chance to reach my mother was lost years ago. There is somewhat of a sadness, but I spent years trying to reach her. She has done nothing to try to understand anything that I have said. She's stuck in her way of thinking.

I`m just wondering, if you are her son and you are autistic, could she be autistic too? I had a strange moment after I was diagnosed, one day I suddenly understood my dads behaviour. It all made sense.
I would go as far to say that she maybe, but she won't even entertain the idea that may be the case. She is now in her 80's, she has no interest in considering it. I've hinted at that possibility and she reacted as I thought she would. I believe my father was and from what I see of my mother, that is a possibility as well. I've spent many years trying to connect on some level, but there is nothing that we agree on other than I am her son.

I can’t stand people like that. It’s so uncomfortable. My mom’s narcissist husband is just like your mother. He sees nothing wrong with shoving his politics and religion in everyone’s face, constantly. I’m highly skeptical of pharmaceutical companies and the government as well, but I don’t bring these topics up in casual conversation, by no means! It’s rude. Honestly I think it comes down to a question of good manners.

The following comment is NOT a disparagement against religion. Unfortunately religion can be the perfect cover, excuse, impetus and justification for narcissistic behavior. It can give someone perfect license for their narcissism and remove all accountability from that person's actions and behavior. "It's not MY views, opinions, etc. it's [their religion, God, etc]. If you have an issue with what I say or how I act, don't take it up with me, take it up with "God"."

The following comment is NOT a disparagement against religion. Unfortunately religion can be the perfect cover, excuse, impetus and justification for narcissistic behavior. It can give someone perfect license for their narcissism and remove all accountability from that person's actions and behavior. "It's not MY views, opinions, etc. it's [their religion, God, etc]. If you have an issue with what I say or how I act, don't take it up with me, take it up with "God"."

Religion used for the ends of Power=blasphemy manifest.

Religion used for the ends of Power=blasphemy manifest.

I agree. However, a point I was making is that often with religion and narcissism, a narcissist isn't overtly aware or even aware in any way that they're using religion as a weapon or justification for toxic behavior.

I wish to stress again that my statements are not intended to denigrate religion, nor am I insinuating that religious people (ie all religious people) are narcissists because that's certainly not true.

This doesn't bother me much, as they are free to believe whatever they like, but what bothers me is the incessant talking about vaccines. My father will join in the conversation if it is brought up — he doesn't always initiate it though. My mother on the other hand is utterly obsessed with the topic, especially as it ties in with her other beliefs of government-related conspiracies. The government is always out to get you, in her eyes. This has been a hard feeling for me to shake after being brought up in such an environment, I hope you can understand why I have only just now chosen to get my first vaccine ever. I haven't even had my childhood immunisations, which I also plan to get in the near future.

They are incredibly sure about their belief in God (they are Pentecostal to be precise) and my mother in particular will voice these beliefs at any chance she gets, to any person with any belief in any situation. She doesn't understand when it becomes uncomfortable for other people to listen to, she is a passionate preacher about any topic she believes in.

She will regularly engage in a one-way conversation where she spouts her beliefs at you regardless of your own, regardless of how this makes you feel, and regardless of any other information presented to her, be it as a debate, trying to engage in the conversation, or trying to open her heart to other ways of thinking — she will vehemently counter it with Bible verses, other religious beliefs or her own beliefs she has accumulated over the years. Most of them have their roots in her belief in God, they can all be traced back to that and she will happily take you along her train of thought herself.

My problem isn't with what she believes, my problem lies in trying to talk with her.
Every new piece of information she is presented with, even when she couldn't possibly know about it, it's "I know, I know," before launching into some conspiracy about the government or something God-related. She finds a way to bring up whatever she is currently passionate about, no matter what the topic of conversation is. It is very difficult to keep her on track, because she just wants to preach. That's all she does.

My father is sure in his beliefs too, but he doesn't have the same preach-y-ness about him, he will give you a chance to speak and consider what you are saying. He considers new ways of thinking moreso than my mother does, even though he will probably die set in his ways too. That's okay because I can still talk to him. But mum, it's hard to talk to her.

I began struggling in high school due to my, at the time, undiagnosed Autism. It's a long story but the relevance to this is that every conversation we ever had turned into "you should be at school."
"you're getting behind, you need to be at school."
"I keep getting texts from the school about you not being there."

At the time we didn't have a full picture of what we were dealing with, and while I agree it'd have been ideal for me to have been able to stay in class and not always be safe in the music department (special interest at the time), I wasn't coping with school and I needed help. Unfortunately my mum did not help by preaching to me about school no matter what we were talking about. This is where our relationship grew very distant, and it has been like this since.

She has always preached, I remember it right through childhood and she still does it to this day. It didn't bother me the same as a child, I accepted a lot of what she said as truth only to find out in my later teens that I believed very different things to her, and that my beliefs are ever-developing and I'm okay with that. Regardless of what you believe, I hope you can see how it would be difficult for such a person to deal with someone who is so set in their ways.

I want to connect with my mother conversationally, not just through my love for her and hers for me. I suppose I need to accept this likely won't happen, I already have frankly. Sometimes I just feel sad I can't have that closeness with my own mother. I haven't experienced much closeness with either parent to be honest, they both physically and emotionally abused me through my childhood mostly due to misunderstandings that a diagnosis could have greatly helped.
I wonder if your parents were emotionally and\or physically abused ??????disorders can manifest for different reasons I know in my family there was a disorder caused by physical abuse

Thank you all so much for your kind words and insight, I appreciate it a lot. I apologise for putting this in the wrong category and for using “naughty words” as I used to yell at my brother when I was a toddler – I’m still getting used to forums as this is my first time using one. Thanks to whoever edited it for not deleting my post!

To answer your questions:

@Thinx no I haven’t read that book yet, I will add it to my list of books to read, thank you. I haven’t got any qualifications and it’s hard to get any for me. I live in a small country and there are only 55,000 in my region. So there aren’t the same opportunities as you’d get somewhere like America, there aren’t many jobs available and most of the one’s that are require some very specific skill or qualification like crane operators, legal executives, registered nurses etc. The few that don’t require qualifications are usually either something I don’t understand, or something I wouldn’t handle doing for whatever reason.

As for my interests – I don’t really have many, and I don’t have hobbies either. I can’t try many out because I either don’t have the funds to do so, or it isn’t available in my area. I don’t intend to move to a bigger city either as I need to live rurally, away from people, and I live with my support person who wouldn’t move at this stage. I hate to use labels because it puts a preconception in people’s heads, but Philosophical ideas have always intrigued me and I have spent a lot of time reading or otherwise absorbing them. I'm not sure how to get a job from that.

I do like helping people, I know that much. Not in a public, ego-satisfying way, but just because I enjoy making other peoples lives easier in some way. I want to create my own job but I don’t know how and saying that to people usually meets you with “everyone wants to work for themselves but ___.” I try so hard to think of what I could do but I can’t come up with anything because of my lack of skills and knowledge. I just want to help people, and live comfortably because of it somehow. That’s all I know. Thanks for your suggestions.

@Streetwise yes, my father was abused by his father in every sense. I believe my mother got a bit of physical abuse from her parents too, I’m not sure how bad it was though. I’ll ask my sister when I visit them. Considering my mum parrots everything she hears and the amount of nasty things she’s said to me growing up – I’d say she was emotionally abused too. I feel deeply for both of them, particularly my father. I only found this out in recent years and it has helped me get through things a lot.

Since figuring out I’m Autistic, I spent weeks replaying every interaction I could remember across my whole childhood and spotted the misunderstandings in all of them. It has helped me heal a lot of trauma, not the pain it caused me at the time but at least having an understanding now, I can reflect on things with a different perspective to the one I’d attached to all those years. My nightmares of my family taunting me have mostly stopped, I used to have nightmares regularly right through my life.

It has brought a me a lot of closure in general to get a diagnosis, I at least understand why things have happened the way they did.

Edit: Wow, I also just saw somebody gifted my account an upgrade – that’s so cool! Thank you so much whoever that was :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Your posts intrigued me, as everything I read from you, which I summarized below, describes my wife exactly, and I am not the type to exaggerate there. For instance:

-Very lengthy in writings
-Outwardly nice, pleasing and friendly, ie. as seen by language used, content, actions (politeness, replying to most/all who reply)
-Saying you are good at solving others' problems and wanting to help others, but have difficulty helping yourself, ie. seem to understand others, but less so when it comes to figuring out your issues and what to do for yourself
-Lack of confidence (feel useless, etc)
--Worry/Fear excessively
-Saying have no interests
-Little difficulty thinking of, understanding and/or expressing most feelings
-lack of initiation of tasks
-Lack of motivation (if you do not believe it, or if it is not a large interest)
-Bored easily (if not doing things)
-Not finishing tasks, and avoiding stressful tasks
-Lack of prioritization
-Difficulties with school
-Difficulties with following typical treatment advice
-Difficulty with doing even basic things
-philosophical interests
-prefer the simple life, not impressing others
--know generally what you like, but not sure how to do it
-nightmares of past abuse

So, regardless if you have Autism and/or ADHD, which the latter condition my was diagnosed with several years ago after six hours of local neurodevelopmental testing, the correct diagnosis I feel is very imperative. Otherwise, conditions can deteriorate obviously, if wrong treatments are given and/or if assumptions and misunderstandings are made. My wife suffered for twenty five years prior, with incorrect diagnoses and dangerous treatments, resulting in many lengthy in-patient hospitalizations and increased anxieties, fears and depression for her. Had the medical persons in her prior lifetime took the time to analyze everything, and not assumed things on the surface, or had they done the right in-depth testing then, and dug deeper, the truths would have been known, and healing could have occurred sooner.

Autism and ADHD/ADD conditions are far more similar than different, and sometimes dual conditions are given, but to me it's not too difficult spotting the differences. Yes, both conditions involve executive problem difficulties, and can involve sensory issues, hyperfocuses of interest, uniqueness with expression/acting, difficulties with performing many things day to day and with understanding nonverbal communications, there are differences of course. Those with ADHD/ADD may tend to be more general, express or feel more, or easier, may seem more extroverted and/or disorganized, whereas those with ASD, may often be more structured, factual, introverted, and detailed. These are all generalities of course, but sometimes we need to know such, to look beneath the surface when some conditions are otherwise very similar, leading to misdiagnoses and treatments that can harm or not help.

Your mother, from the little I know, seems to have executive problem difficulties, to be so rigid in mindset, and from seeing the other things you mentioned about her, yet her executive functioning thinking I see as more irrational than yours. Whether she has some of the other issues I listed or not, I am unsure, but it's clear your belief that she is unlikely to change is probably correct, and so the focus should be on understanding that is just how she is, and it does not mean she is right in her thinking and that you are wrong in yours. Indeed, finding solutions for you should be the priority, and for you to divert your energies there. To be fair, it will not be easy, without the correct diagnosis, and without some treatment--even if unique or alternative if need be--making small steps at a time. For instance, my wife is very sensitive to psychiatric meds, and self-help things I love she tried--positive thinking/visualizing stuff--but makes no sense to her; she is not into that, motivated to do that. So, she has tried less harmful off-use medications for ADHD, and I bought her tons of adult coloring and specialized prompt fill-in books that she seemed interested in, that all seem to relax her, take her mind off negative things, allow her to express better, and/or to focus more on details.

So, I wrote you not to say what condition you have or do not, but to make you see there are others in this world that can understand so much what you describe, and hopefully this gives you some hope. I am so glad you have another living with you that seems to assist you too, from reading another thread, and in that regard it seems like a good match. I mean, truth is I help my wife just as much as my children, and my children have many daily special needs each because of their Autism. I am into details, and I am quite good at doing all the daily things. I was used to doing such daily on my own for twenty years before marrying my wife. She is a great person, and she has many abilities I lack, too, like she is outwardly more friendly and into humor than I, and she is more creative than I. I show my caring and friendliness with my actions, more so than with spoken words or expressions. Just because she has difficulties with things, I try not to focus on that, but on her doing only what she can, when she can, and in the ways she can.

I have a high tolerance for stress, finding ways to deal with that, so that makes me be able to take on problems. I am not sure if this ability was genetic and/or learned, but I do not see assisting others as bad, or others with difficulties and uniqueness as bad. It does seem like you are a very nice person, and want to do your best in life, but just that your executive functioning, lack of official diagnoses/right treatment/approach and some others in your life are not helping with that. So, I hope you will feel supported here, and find things in life that will work to make things easier and more functional for you. It seems like you know more than you think you know, and you have more strength than you think as well. To be able to survive with a parent like that, and to see her ways that are off and harming, yet to forgive her in some way and still want some sort of better relationship, this shows your good character there. But, I need to say, I feel you deserve more considerate and open minded persons in your life, so I hope somehow you will one day, if not now, focus on more priorities there.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom