• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Using people's names. Do you do it?

Tony Ramirez

Single. True friend's.
V.I.P Member
Just about everyone knows my name. Even though who just meet me they greet me Hey Tony or Hi Tony or By Tony or Goodbye Tony. But even if I can remember their name which I can remember the women's names easier I still address most of the time with just an hi, hello then an bye, goodbye. I thought was just me but once again I found it was an autistic trait. My current Christian friends don't mind but maybe this is one of the reasons in the past I had no friends.

I'm terrible with names. I'm also terrible with faces. I had this weird thing all my life where I assumed I must be quite striking in appearance because people kept recognising me. They'd come up to me and say "don't I know you?" I assured them they probably didn't. But as it turns out, in most cases they did, I just didn't recognise them.

I wouldn't overthink it or worry too much.

I remember names but I always feel weird using their names when speaking to them, as it feels bossy or something.

I use my husband's name a lot when interacting with him though.

I use my husband's name a lot when interacting with him though.
Of course I use my family members names as you will use your husband name. It's just when j am with friends I almost never use there names in conversations but they will always say my name. I usually forgot or I am just use it. I just seem to feel rude. They are still my friends. I am really starting now unless I don't know their name which I do know most of my friends name to use it more in conversations. I mean it. Starting tonight when I see them. Wish me luck.

Just about everyone knows my name. Even though who just meet me they greet me Hey Tony or Hi Tony or By Tony or Goodbye Tony. But even if I can remember their name which I can remember the women's names easier I still address most of the time with just an hi, hello then an bye, goodbye. I thought was just me but once again I found it was an autistic trait. My current Christian friends don't mind but maybe this is one of the reasons in the past I had no friends.

Truthfully, I have found that exposing yourself to a name enough, will generally make it start to stick. Write down a few names you'd like to remember and repeat them as frequently as you like. Once a day, Twice a day, etc.

The psychology of another person knowing your name, tends to elicit a feeling of caring and respect. You matter enough to that person and your interactions mean something to them, to remember your name.

Yeah, anyone can have trouble remembering names. Though it is somewhat willful. Something sets that person off about another person, that makes them think that the name isn't worth remembering.

However, it can be a neurological thing, than a psychological thing for us. But it's variable
in each individual.

Of course I use my family members names as you will use your husband name. It's just when j am with friends I almost never use there names in conversations but they will always say my name. I usually forgot or I am just use it. I just seem to feel rude. They are still my friends. I am really starting now unless I don't know their name which I do know most of my friends name to use it more in conversations. I mean it. Starting tonight when I see them. Wish me luck.
I will wish you luck, as I know how hard it is for some of us to just use people's names in conversations. Whenever I want to get someone's attention at work I go "erm" and clear my throat.

Recalling names can be really hard for me sometimes, like I know the person, but matching it to the correct name can be hard, until suddenly hours later I go, ooh.. it was ..

I used to leave out names when talking to people. Then I read “How to Win Friends and Influence People,” which suggested that you should use people’s names regularly. So now I regularly address people by their names when talking to them. (Maybe I should also use their names when conversing, which I may not do so well.)

Its different from calling folks sweetie
Nothing like a perceived polite endearment of a complete stranger without actually being endearing.

Yet it's still standard fare in the South. "Sweetie, sugar, honey", etc..

Kirk: "Spock, does that make any sense?"
Spock: "None whatsoever, Captain."
Kirk: "Agreed."

I still recall being called "sweetie" by a very young girl working in an electronics store in Nevada. I finally got annoyed with it and responded with a very old, and politically incorrect endearment of my own, spoken in a Tidewater accent. She turned four shades of purple and slowly withdrew. Fine by me!

Just called her by a folk name used to describe a baby pacifier and told her I was doing just fine on my own. LOL.

It seems to me that one of the most important pieces a person has is their name.

It’s important to me to say someone’s name when addressing them. An acknowledgement of who they are.

I’m not the greatest at remembering and I do not think it is a precursor to friendship.

My best friend calls me “dude”. LOL!

It is odd that I am aware of the most closest persons in my social orbit, associated with them by blood.

And that neither of them ever call me by my name.

Nothing like a perceived polite endearment of a complete stranger without actually being endearing.

Yet it's still standard fare in the South. "Sweetie, sugar, honey", etc..

Kirk: "Spock, does that make any sense?"
Spock: "None whatsoever, Captain."
Kirk: "Agreed."

I still recall being called "sweetie" by a very young girl working in an electronics store in Nevada. I finally got annoyed with it and responded with a very old, and politically incorrect endearment of my own, spoken in a Tidewater accent. She turned four shades of purple and slowly withdrew. Fine by me!

Just called her by a folk name used to describe a baby pacifier and told her I was doing just fine on my own. LOL.
Point of information
a) what is a tidewater accent?
b) is the folk name for a pacifier a "dummy"

Sorry but my colloquial US english is not up to snuff

Point of information
a) what is a tidewater accent?
A southern dialect usually found along the east coast of the state of Virginia.
b) is the folk name for a pacifier a "dummy"
LOL. Nope. I wouldn't likely be allowed to post it. An old and not "politically correct" term these days, and not used in many parts of the US anyway. Though I've also heard it used informally as a type of candy.

Last edited:
I forget names when conversing with my wife make up my own nicknames but not derogatory. Once I meet them a few times then I remember.

I rarely use people's names except when I love a person very much, in which case I usually exclaim their names nearly every time I see them or hear from them.

I have anomia, which means I frequently forget the names of things. Unfortunately, that includes people's names (even my own once). But even when I remember a name, it is very awkward for me to use it when talking to them. It actually feels disrespectful to me to use someone's name to their face. I also do not like people using my name.

Out at dinner out today I used a couple of my friends names even only ones or twice during conversation but I still did it.

I have anomia, which means I frequently forget the names of things. Unfortunately, that includes people's names (even my own once). But even when I remember a name, it is very awkward for me to use it when talking to them. It actually feels disrespectful to me to use someone's name to their face. I also do not like people using my name.
My mother once loved a particular car, but refused to buy it as the salesman was a kid and kept calling my elderly mother by her first name. Indeed, she found it disrespectful as well.

I still recall my first day on the job with an insurance company and found myself writing down all these names and job titles, knowing I couldn't possibly remember them all in the coming week.

New Threads

Top Bottom