• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Using people's names. Do you do it?

When dating my wife, I was surprised to find that she referenced compass directions rather than left and right. She was a registered nurse doing home healthcare, and had to learn to read maps since gps wasn't a thing yet. I was impressed. I was used to using map and compass from Scouts. I hadn't run into anyone outside of Scouts who did that.

Then you haven't run into me yet. LOL

When dating my wife, I was surprised to find that she referenced compass directions rather than left and right. She was a registered nurse doing home healthcare, and had to learn to read maps since gps wasn't a thing yet. I was impressed. I was used to using map and compass from Scouts. I hadn't run into anyone outside of Scouts who did that.
Use of cardinal directions is hardcore, and hardly anybody does that.

Use of cardinal directions is hardcore, and hardly anybody does that.
You'd be surprised how many people do that, especially people who live in rural areas, hike in mountainous regions and desert areas. It is more reliable than vague directions.

I think knowing where you're going, with compass directions, is important as one should always be ready for detours, and so understanding the relative direction and distance can really help with ensuring that you can, even if unfamiliar with an area, continue to move in the right direction in the event you miss a turn or a route is closed.

I would actually find such a description much more easy to follow than one that used street names, it's much more easy to find the intersection with the mall than some random street name, that I have no idea where is.
Yes, remembering street names used to be hard for me. Numbered streets are easier.

New Threads

Top Bottom