• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Troubles with processing musical theater

Neonatal RRT

V.I.P Member
So, usually, I am the one responding to threads here, but I had an interesting experience this past weekend that became rather troublesome and perhaps even offended other people, but really couldn't help myself in this instance.

Situation: My wife and I were visiting my brother-in-law in Traverse City, Michigan. He is a recent widow, a retired engineer, and previously had let his wife be the "social director". Well, now, it's his first time entertaining guests in his home. We were to spend two nights with him. At any rate, one of the evenings, he had purchased tickets to a local theater play. Fine, I haven't actually sat down and watched a play since, well, elementary school, some 45-50 years ago. Sure, I am game. Let's do it. Something new.

We get to the theater and find our seats. Decent seats up in the first row of the balcony overlooking the stage. The play starts, and so, I am thinking I am going to see stage acting. Well, it was a bit more, it was a musical, and that's when my autistic brain processing began to act up. Background: I have never understood the concept of "singing dialogue", so throughout my life I just avoided it because "I didn't like it." Well, here I am, stuck shoulder-to-shoulder in a small community theater, it's a packed venue, thinking I was going to see a play, not knowing it was a musical. The music is loud, the singing is loud, neither are very good, but it's local theater. Then, here is the thing, my brain got locked in on trying to follow the story, but because there was singing and dancing, I couldn't follow along because the actor's diction was hard to process, and why would anyone sing and dance the dialogue? Words that might otherwise could be understood, were now being sung, and I couldn't understand what was being said. Now, I started to think that it might be just part of the experience, but then the audience was laughing and clapping, and really getting into key moments of the presentation, and I just sat there like someone from a different country who didn't understand the language. I was looking around confused. Everyone else was understanding. I wasn't.

I can't move out of my seat. I have a physically-disabled, elderly couple to my left. I have an entire row of people to my right. I can't move without disrupting things for everyone else around me. So, I sit there with a rather painful, confused look on my face while everyone else is smiling, laughing, and clapping at things I have no idea why. Intermission, Thank God, finally arrived. I had to get out of there. My brother-in-law left to get a drink and visit the restroom. My wife followed me out to the front, I gave her a kiss, and said I will wait in the car. So, I sat out in the car, in the dark, scrolling through my Instagram for another 90 minutes.

Well, the following morning, we get up, I had some time to explain to my brother-in-law that I have autism (he didn't know), what it is, what my daily experience is like, and why I had to leave the theater. He was good with it all, at least I think. We went out to do some hiking and then we took him out for a nice lunch at an expensive restaurant, sort of as a peace offering.

So, I thought I would share one of my "autistic moments" with all of you.

Sorry about your experience. Community theater is hit and miss up here. The best is at Interlochen where the students are aiming to be professionals . . . though sound mixing there can be problematic. When the music is incorporated well it is near seamless. Spring Awakening used music to reflect the inner turmoil of adolescent minds. I enjoy musicals by Sondheim where the music is well integrated. There are few musicals that rise to Sondheim's quality. This summer I will enjoy seeing Ragtime at Interlochen.

It's still a bit unclear what was going on. The main thing I really couldn't process was the genre. I have never understood why anyone would sing a dialogue whilst acting out a character. It's not something that is "natural" and "logical" in my experience. I know that any good song should have a story to tell, but I separate those things out in my brain, singing and acting are two different things. It's when it's merged into the genre of a musical that it really upsets my brain. I know everyone has different tastes in art, but it wasn't that I "like or dislike" it. It was as if my brain didn't have the "hardware or software" to process what I was experiencing. So weird.

I'm just not keen on anything musical related. It makes me uncomfortable to the point of boiling over with rage.

90 minutes in the car on my own sounds like a blessing.

Ed

If the musical is too happy and social and fast paced, I can't follow along, and it's actually overwhelming and painful to watch. (Oklahoma, Hamilton)

If the musical is slow, and beautiful, and somber, I enjoy it very much. It enriches my senses, and I shed tears several times during the story. (Fiddler on the Roof, Madame Butterfly)

I don't like musicals in general, but have been exposed to operas qute a bit. But ony on the radio, classical stations, etc. But operas are usually in a foreign language so I more or less ignor the words and focus on the more intense elements of music which can be very compelling at times. But the parts with no music and just people talking in a singing manner feels well, just silly to me. I concur with what others have said, about it being just too many forms of information at once.

Even with me being a musician,I Dislike Musical theater and even most musicals . All I see are people singing and dancing.
I know this sounds weird . But all the fake emotion and overblown musical counterpoint to it just seems plastic .
And I have a lot of trouble following the story , maybe it’s so much stimulation .

Maybe I am similar, maybe I don’t have the brain hardware to process it all at the same time , so it becomes uncomfortable.

Film soundtracks I love , to the point of obsession. But that is a musical expression used to enhance the emotion of a film.It is much different for me processing that . I enjoy it .

I also cannot handle musicals.....not even just listening to the music without the theater. The way the words are sung is very different from a regular song. It lacks musicality to me and is often off key or clashing with the accompanying music. Perhaps it is the over-dramatization of the diction or the choppy, mechanical-like way the words sound...not smooth. It is like sandpaper on my brain

I am a huge fan of theatre be it musical or otherwise, but I have a very broad interest in musicals almost from birth. Everything from Gilbert and Sullivan through Sigmund Romberg to Stephen Sondheim and beyond. However I do understand Neonatal's distress for a good song in a musical has more going for it than simply dialog or commentary (information and emotion conveyed through music and lyrics). That is a lot to process if you are not ready for it. The only true master of the form in my opinion was the late great Stephen Sondheim. He elevated the craft to a level that many strive for but have yet to equal, in my not so humble opinion. His songs not only illuminate the interior landscape of a character, but at the same time they are integrated into the plot of the show so inextricably that without them the show would not be as engaging. I adore all of his work but a prime example of what I am talking about is the show Assassins. The loose book is an examination of the motivations of the men who chose to Assassinate a U.S. president. The songs carry the one act show. A great example of this is the song The Ballad of Booth which is sung by the character of John Wilkes Booth and it still gives me chills every time I hear it.

Sondheim could wring human truths out of the simplest of tunes and lyrics (sophisticated and intelligent on both counts). The best example of this simplicity and sophistication I can reference is the song Send in the Clowns. It is made up of short phrases and a limited musical scale but in marrying those together manage to produce high art. The song was a last minute addition to the show for the character of Desiree Armfeldt. It is short and simple as Glynis Johns could barely carry a tune (a fact that I can attest to as I saw the original Broadway production), thus the compressed scale and short phrases. For Sondheim, it was a quickly written song but still encompasses much of the human condition. It is undoubtedly his best known and it is certainly his most covered by others outside musical theater. Covered first by Frank Sinatra and later by a panoply of others as diverse as Judy Collins, Cleo Lane, and veritable host of others. On offer here is a favorite cover of the song from an unexpected source.

I hope my enthusiasm does not offend and that some actually enjoy the above. I think this song actually describes what relationships are like for the neurodiverse but then again that is just my own personal view.

Even with me being a musician,I Dislike Musical theater and even most musicals . All I see are people singing and dancing.
I know this sounds weird . But all the fake emotion and overblown musical counterpoint to it just seems plastic .
And I have a lot of trouble following the story , maybe it’s so much stimulation .

Maybe I am similar, maybe I don’t have the brain hardware to process it all at the same time , so it becomes uncomfortable.

Film soundtracks I love , to the point of obsession. But that is a musical expression used to enhance the emotion of a film.It is much different for me processing that . I enjoy it .
I agree 100% with all of this. I’m a musician and music is one of my main special interests. But musical theater is just not my thing and it’s complete sensory overload.

I also want to bolt from my chair. It feels like a slow death. Those theatres feel claustrophobic for some reason. Then sensory overload, then a burning desire to sprint and sit in the car.

Last edited:
I dont listen to music in general. It just distracts me too much from thinking, and that "thinking" include understanding words. So if/when I listen to music, I cant process the words very well and get distracted.

Its not like it hurts, I just get distracted and cant focus. So I just listen to music in "non thinking" activities like art, walking, cleaning... And even in that situations, I prefer to listen a podcast or audiobook.

On the other hand, when I want to relax and interrupt my thinking patterns, music can help. And I have found tibetan bowls sounds to just hack my brain so I get almost instant relax and sleep.

So musicals are not for me. And I also do the "May I wait in the car?" thing when I feel tired.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Anything with a huge group of people puts me on edge. My grandmother was the same way. She decided when l was younger to take me to a huge Chinese New Year parade in Frisco right in the heart of it all, then l noticed her getting distressed. Like kinda of what did l do wrong here? But l give her credit that she took me to experience it. But l also inherited the same feeling about crowds.

OST's are a wonderful thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom