• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Today I learned that spam faxes (i.e. junk mail sent to fax numbers) are actually a real thing.

Today I learned that it is possible to delete what one
has said in the Chat Room.

Forum Games
https://www.aspiescentral.com/forums/forum-games.11/create-thread

A fun and friendly place to chill out. No spamming or power-posting please!
END QUOTE

I have read that many times at the top of the Game Page.
Today I decided to look for the definition of "power-posting."
This is a useful place I just found to get definitions for terms:
http://www.webopedia.com/

So now I know what 'power-posting' is,
and a term for what I have seen happen, but didn't have a name for.

Power-Posting
In online forums power-posting is the term used to describe a user who
posts a large number of empty or useless messages in order to increase
their number of posts. On some forums special privileges may be given to
users who contribute a specific number of posts. When power posting users
will post meaningless replies such as "LOL" or "I agree/disagree."
These posts may increase the users post count but they do not contribute
anything meaningful to the forum discussion itself.

Hit & Run Post
In online forums and other online discussion spaces, a hit-and-run post
is the term used to describe users who register for the service, post one message,
then never return. In most cases these single posts contains information
not related to the forum topic or the post may contain a single URL
that is posted for the purpose of advertising.

Forum Games

A fun and friendly place to chill out. No spamming or power-posting please!
END QUOTE

I have read that many times at the top of the Game Page.
Today I decided to look for the definition of "power-posting."
This is a useful place I just found to get definitions for terms:
http://www.webopedia.com/

So now I know what 'power-posting' is,
and a term for what I have seen happen, but didn't have a name for.

Power-Posting
In online forums power-posting is the term used to describe a user who
posts a large number of empty or useless messages in order to increase
their number of posts. On some forums special privileges may be given to
users who contribute a specific number of posts. When power posting users
will post meaningless replies such as "LOL" or "I agree/disagree."
These posts may increase the users post count but they do not contribute
anything meaningful to the forum discussion itself.

Hit & Run Post
In online forums and other online discussion spaces, a hit-and-run post
is the term used to describe users who register for the service, post one message,
then never return. In most cases these single posts contains information
not related to the forum topic or the post may contain a single URL
that is posted for the purpose of advertising.

That website did indeed tell me what "power-posting" means. However, it did not tell me what "pwnd" means. It is no wonder that I can never read my grandchildren's text messages.

clg114

Pwn
is a leetspeak slang term derived from the verb own,
as meaning to appropriate or to conquer to gain ownership.
The term implies domination or humiliation of a rival,
used primarily in the Internet-based video game culture to
taunt an opponent who has just been soundly defeated (e.g., "You just got pwned!")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwnd

I may have to start sending you their texts for translation. At least I learned something today.

Today I learned that if you hold the cursor over
an album in Media, it makes like a slide show.

All the pictures in the album show and you
don't have to do anything other than point
the mouse.

There's a name for it...
Springtime lethargy - Wikipedia

"The German term Frühjahrsmüdigkeit (lit. "Spring fatigue") is the name for a temporary mood or physical condition, typically characterized by a state of low energy and weariness, experienced by many people in springtime. It is not in the category of a diagnosed illness, but rather a phenomenon thought to be initiated by a change in the season. Reportedly an estimated 50–75% of people in Germany have experienced its effect."

This interested me because springtime is depressing, to me.

Today I learned that my TV that I am using as a computer monitor could automatically dim itself. It got so dark I was having a hard time seeing what was on the screen so I spent a few minutes figuring out how to make it stay bright. It turns out there was a setting on the TV that allowed it to dim itself after a certain amount of time so I had to turn that off. Every thing has worked fine ever since. I learn something new every day in the world of computers.

Today, I learned that the local car museum is actually a pretty cool place. I went there for a work event even though I would have preferred to stay in the office, but seeing the British Invasion car section got my geek mode on pretty hard.

Today I learned something at the local pharmacy. I went to buy large size bandages, that is bandages with a large area, 4X4 on the inside for wounds larger than a regular size bandage would cover. For two of these large bandages it cost $5.00. I wanted to buy twenty of them, it would have cost me fifty dollars for twenty bandages. Which I found too expensive.

I kept staring at the boxes and attempting to total the price. Thinking it too costly, for bandages. I considered alternatives like medical tape and sterile compresses, and sterile cotton wadding. But knew it would be a problem, as the wound my spouse has is leaking but also in the process of granulating which was originally caused by a catheter. I didn't want anything getting into the wound. It needs to heal and his immune system is slow.

The pharmacy clerk came over because I was there staring for a long time, and asked if she could help me. I picked up the box with the two bandages, and said: "These are five dollars for two, and I need to buy twenty, which would be fifty dollars. He requires two bandage changes per day, so twenty will last ten days. This will total $150.00 dollars per month for bandages. Do you have anything like this that's less costly? Of course we do she said, go see the pharmacist." So I went and repeated the same thing to the pharmacist. She left and came back with bandages of the same size, a generic brand, that cost sixty cents each, quite a difference from $2.50 per bandage shown in the store.

Apparently all pharmacies have to offer lower cost alternatives in Canada. What they put out on the shelves in the shops is to make money. Something I didn't know. But now I do. I don't know if other countries do this?

Last edited:
The other day I learned that there is a little arrow on your gas gauge that indicates what side your fuel filler door is on. At least on newer cars. Somebody said it became a standard in 2010. I've never seen it before, as my newest vehicle is a 1996. My mom didn't know about it either, she drives a 2014.

The other day I learned that there is a little arrow on your gas gauge that indicates what side your fuel filler door is on. At least on newer cars. Somebody said it became a standard in 2010. I've never seen it before, as my newest vehicle is a 1996. My mom didn't know about it either, she drives a 2014.

I found out about it because my pick-up is on the drivers side and my wife's car is on the left side. My wife lets me drive her car to go put gas in it and when I am pulling up to the pumps I often look at the little arrow to make sure that I am on proper side. Now, I know this is about what I learned. I learned that if my wife tells me to go put gas in her car, that I had better do it. If I know what is good for me.

How to Be a Successful BAD THERAPIST -- And How So Many Therapists Succeed

• Induce Positive Transference, e.g. wear fancy clothes, have a fancy office
  • Narcissistically gratify patients
  • Infantile patients
  • Don't challenge bad behavior
  • Choose easier, "high functioning" clients
  • Passively involved
  • Don't expect change
Is My Therapist Good or Not? 12 Questions a Former Psychotherapist Asks
  1. Integrity
  2. Don't just try to push drugs onto patients
  3. Doesn't go so heavy on psychiatric diagnosis.
  4. force hospitalization on troubled/suicidal patients?
  5. They want to know my traumatic roots.
  6. Therapist understands me.
  7. Therapist loves me and wants me to grow.
  8. How does the therapist deal with being personally challenged/confronted?
  9. Are they radical? Who are they? Why are they doing this job? How do they do their job?
  10. How much money does the therapist charge? Better therapists tend to charge less money.
  11. The therapist helps clients heal, and they don't try to "help" the patient forgive patients. Healing process can take a very long time, and have many strong emotions. e.g. rage
  12. Do they have children? If no, then they are probably more emotionally taxed and less self-aware. Most of their energy goes towards maintaining their children.
How to Be a Psychiatrist - 9 Years of Education in 9 Minutes

Good Sleep -- A Key to Good Mental Health: Ideas of a Former Therapist
  • Relax the mind
  • Dream - when the unconscious heals.
  • Control
  • Medication, e.g. benedryl, melatonin (only use for jet lag, an unnatural solution for an unnatural problem)
  • Sleep better? e.g. Cover mask, dream journal every morning, thoughts journal for problem solving, sleep/wake-up at same time everyday, keep in cycle with the sun.
Healthy Vs Unhealthy GUILT -- A Former Therapist Explores the Difference
  • Unhealthy guilt - Try to be parents' parent
Is it Worth it to Try to Heal Our Traumas? — A Psychological Cost-Benefit Analysis
  • People who don't deal with their traumas don't grow
  • People with trauma need support systems while healing from trauma.
  • Learn to trust ourselves first before trusting mental health clinicians
  • Be a self-reflecting individual, not blurry ourselves and be the collective
  • Therapist has resolved their trauma themselves
  • Very hard to be leader and parent of our own lives
Why I Became a Therapist -- Daniel Mackler
  • 25 years old, out of family
  • Bad experience with therapy at 15 years old
  • Adults with alcoholic parents anonymous, loved hearing people's stories, good at listening to people. People there had good experiences with therapists. Some therapists had their own therapists
  • Did therapist for status, wore off after 3-4 years. Started to love the job.
A Critique of Jordan Peterson -- by Daniel Mackler
  • Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them, red flag. Child does something that triggers unresolved trauma. Never mentioned trauma in the chapter. Parents act out their unresolved traumas on their children. Evil is natural inherent part of children. Two-year olds are statistically the most violent human beings.
  • It's best for parents heal their own traumas.
  • It's hard to know what traumas people have gone through.
  • Incredible lack of empathy towards other children
On Anxiety -- Being Passionate and True in a Dishonest World
  • I don't have an anxiety disorder. I have an anxiety reaction.
On Authenticity and the Terror of Being Real -- Daniel Mackler Shares
  • "What did the teacher want?", learned to fake authenticity by believing
  • Learn the authenticity of own voice by giving/receiving therapy and self-therapy
  • 25 years healing trauma journey
  • A lot harder to be honest when I'm a child in an inauthentic family, it's like the family owns the child
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZblqZrtW_A
Interview with psychologist Alice Miller's son, Martin Miller -- about his book on her life
  • Martin Miller is also a therapist, for the last 40+ years.
  • Alice Miller tried her whole life to hide her past and keep it a secret. Alice Miller was so split. Forced to live in Warsaw as a Jewish girl under a false name in order to survive. Blackmailed by his own father, who cooperated with the Gestapo. Mother tried to correct her own self-image as a failed mother. Created an Alice Miller who was a good mother, which helped her to split off her own failure as a mother towards him. She split off experience of the war, and it was normal. Alice never overcame these experiences and never discussed or processed them in her own therapies. "When you don't process your own therapy, you will project war experience to the next generation"
  • Overcame fear/guilt of betraying Mother, who is the ideal Mother in the face of the public
  • Alice realized that her behavior towards him was vicious. Practically made all mistakes that she accused all mothers of in her books.
  • Alice would totally reject the book and would not hesitate to take legal steps against him. She would use all media power and declare war. Why wrote biography of his Mother after her death.
  • Alice would have been thrilled if this happened to another person. Alice would immediately contact the author and praise/support him. Alice would congratulate him for working according to her own theory and encourage him to continue to do so.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom