• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

This will sound depressive ..

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
But do u ever want to drop ur interests because you hate them and never want to do them again because they have become a burden
And u do not actually like a lot of them but you were just made to be stuck with them
And there is only one or two you like at all.
And these are the ones I hate: film interest, ballet and dancing, cooking and baking, music most of the time, starting to hate books, craft, makeup, fashion because people are jealous and wreck my life and apparently musical theater though you do not like acting or want to do it
And the only ones I like are painting and face painting.
Except there is no one to face paint on and practice

And u do not actually like a lot of them but you were just made to be stuck with them
Do you think it was your own brain that made you “stuck with them?” Or was it something external, like societal pressure or expectations from others?

It makes sense to me that some interests come and go and if we hold onto them for too long for some reason, they could become burdensome.

Do you think it was your own brain that made you “stuck with them?” Or was it something external, like societal pressure or expectations from others?

It makes sense to me that some interests come and go and if we hold onto them for too long for some reason, they could become burdensome.
I just get sick of being so talented and the curses that come with them.
It gets annoying and I wonder if I am happy this talented but love my paintings to death
Any other autistics feel the same where they struggle to like all their talents or the feelings of ' being so talented'

@lovely_darlingprettybaby

What are some of the reasons you find your talents a burden?

People taking advantage of you or even being jealous?
Not feeling well enough/strong enough to pursue your interests?
Or what?

My interest in physics has lasted over 60 years no indication of it going away. other interests come and go my interest in covid lasted the duration and still some residual waiting for new year's which my statistics indicate may cause another peak. I tend to view everything as a puzzle, once the puzzle is resolved I lose interest.

Last edited:
I’ve always loved to sing. Many people say I do it well. But I wouldn’t want to do it professionally. It would require a lot of hard and exhausting work. Similarly I’m afraid to take voice lessons because it would probably turn it into work and take the fun out of it. So I think I’ll stick to Karaoke.

I feel I've been a private battle with myself over whether or not to resume what used to be one my most major pastimes. Building plastic models.

Seems messing with the computer has taken most of my time for a number of years, along with digital photography. And yet when ever I really start thinking about plastic again, I just seem to short-circuit for some reason. I stopped doing it regularly some years back as I discovered competing in contests put pressure on me that shouldn't exist with much of any hobby. Yeah- it became "a burden" of sorts.

I even think at times of throwing away all my modelling supplies and paint...and be done with it. One thing for sure, my urge to be creative ebbs and flows with my chronic clinical depression. Just something I have to live with.

Very frustrating. :(

I miss stain glass. I like cutting glass. I had a talent for it also. I have a decent eye for design. But it's a very comprehensive hobby, you need a bunch of tools, and room to lay out your design, and lots of time.

But do u ever want to drop ur interests because you hate them and never want to do them again because they have become a burden
And these are the ones I hate: film interest, ballet and dancing, cooking and baking, music most of the time, starting to hate books, craft, makeup, fashion because people are jealous and wreck my life and apparently musical theater though you do not like acting or want to do it

I've found, before really looking at everything going on with me, that Videogames were like that. I played them, but the fun I once had was 100% drained out of it. The only reason I go back is to escape reality. It didn't matter if I played some games repeatedly. The monotony of doing it full time didn't matter as long as I did it to hide and distract myself

And that's something we all wrestle with in some sort of way. Interests we hold on to despite them holding little value, and burdening us, have some comfort. But it's at a cost. And how much are we willing to pay in the end for our interests if they do nothing for us anymore?

Kinda off tangent, I guess. But this is my first thoughts when reading the topic.

Been there, and stopped for many different reasons. I got good at something and stopped because it got repetitive and boring (that sounds more like my ADD than ASD). Sometimes I wasn't allowed (I was involved in competitive ballroom dancing, but they kept playing the same music, I wanted to try new music. Neil Diamond's "Shiloh" and "Cracklin Rosie" are incredible Tango music). Sometimes by obligation or reverse obligation (my wife thinks hiking and camping are pointless and stupid, and if she won't go then I can't). I stopped being a volunteer docent at a local dinosaur museum because I got tired of constantly hearing "Don't give your time away for free" (guess from who). Sometimes I run into a glitch on something I'm working on and put it down for a while (days to sometimes years), then go back to it once I have it figured out.

Take a break, then go back with new inspiration.

I just get sick of being so talented and the curses that come with them.
It gets annoying and I wonder if I am happy this talented but love my paintings to death
Any other autistics feel the same where they struggle to like all their talents or the feelings of ' being so talented'
That’s exactly how I feel now. Particularly my talents that others can exploit. I’m burned out on ‘helping’ other people.

And I need my life to be uncomplicated. With age comes responsibilities. There’s not enough brain power left now to have interests and remember to pay my property taxes :(

I've been doing my photography very actively since 2005, that's a few years... I can't see myself ever stopping at this point... The one thing that drives me nuts about it, is that my mind never seems to turn off, my sense of observation (of the world around me) is so active that even when I'm out without my camera it's still turned on

I have wondered, and spoken with a friend the thought that... Do people literally "turn" their brains off, I can't relate

But I certainly have special interests I thought I would try, and have tried out, but have burned out fairly quickly... I can't think of any specific examples right now, but I can't imagine having a special interest that I didn't like, it probably wouldn't last very long

That’s exactly how I feel now. Particularly my talents that others can exploit. I’m burned out on ‘helping’ other people.

And I need my life to be uncomplicated. With age comes responsibilities. There’s not enough brain power left now to have interests and remember to pay my property taxes :(
Yes people always take advantage of us and try to exploit others when we turn out being more talented.
Yes and we help others and they take advantage of us.
Do not help others if they are not worth it, do not let others take advantage of you.
You are an amazing person and deserve better.

@lovely_darlingprettybaby

What are some of the reasons you find your talents a burden?

People taking advantage of you or even being jealous?
Not feeling well enough/strong enough to pursue your interests?
Or what?
It just gets a burden carrying so many and being 'talented' and all the troubles that come along with it.
As well as others misconceptions and it does not mean you cannot self doubt as well.
I will try to post positive on here.
But a lot of people in society think ' talented' is so lucky and it does not always feel like that but often tiresome and a burden carrying them at times and sometimes you wish to be normal.
Also there are talented people out there who are not profoundly gifted or skilled in areas or may be in one area but for people who are in many areas it gets difficult and frustrating.

I’ve always loved to sing. Many people say I do it well. But I wouldn’t want to do it professionally. It would require a lot of hard and exhausting work. Similarly I’m afraid to take voice lessons because it would probably turn it into work and take the fun out of it. So I think I’ll stick to Karaoke.
Me to, I love singing
But it has always been a hobby to me.
I hate performing. And I love singing and dancing
But I would never want to be a performer

I feel I've been a private battle with myself over whether or not to resume what used to be one my most major pastimes. Building plastic models.

Seems messing with the computer has taken most of my time for a number of years, along with digital photography. And yet when ever I really start thinking about plastic again, I just seem to short-circuit for some reason. I stopped doing it regularly some years back as I discovered competing in contests put pressure on me that shouldn't exist with much of any hobby. Yeah- it became "a burden" of sorts.

I even think at times of throwing away all my modelling supplies and paint...and be done with it. One thing for sure, my urge to be creative ebbs and flows with my chronic clinical depression. Just something I have to live with.

Very frustrating. :(
I am sorry.
If you love it maybe you could just do small amounts.
Maybe you just need more time to pursue it. Life has gone very digital but maybe one day when your depression goes and you have more time you will go back to.
I do not believe it is a skill you can forget, like learning to ride a bike.

I've found, before really looking at everything going on with me, that Videogames were like that. I played them, but the fun I once had was 100% drained out of it. The only reason I go back is to escape reality. It didn't matter if I played some games repeatedly. The monotony of doing it full time didn't matter as long as I did it to hide and distract myself

And that's something we all wrestle with in some sort of way. Interests we hold on to despite them holding little value, and burdening us, have some comfort. But it's at a cost. And how much are we willing to pay in the end for our interests if they do nothing for us anymore?

Kinda off tangent, I guess. But this is my first thoughts when reading the topic.

I think if I could only do painting and art I'd be happy, those are my true passions.

I think the thing about autistic is you may be talented in some area but may not enjoy it.
Like people who are talented at ballet but did not enjoy being professional ballerinas.
Some people may have a natural ability but may just like it as a hobby to have a different view of it like some dancers may see dancing as a part of their being and wellness so they may just dance for joy and exercise or want to teach or just have it as a personal hobby.

Yes, l was in the entertainment business. I had lucrative offers, but l walked out. Fame isn't everything.

New Threads

Top Bottom