• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

This will sound depressive ..

Yup, the fame would be difficult. And l was okay with being poor. I didn't lust after money.

I just get sick of being so talented and the curses that come with them.
It gets annoying and I wonder if I am happy this talented but love my paintings to death
Any other autistics feel the same where they struggle to like all their talents or the feelings of ' being so talented'

I don't know if this is related, but the creative mind tends to have some downsides for sure (just like everything in life). A lot of creatives talk about this (even off the spectrum), because it mostly involves isolated periods spent alone, maybe even sprinkled with some obsessiveness (or hyperfocus!) when it comes to completing the craft.

And of course, the reasons for why we spend so much time creating things in isolation can be riddled with some form of darkness, too. Everything spanning from social difficulties to introversion as a preference can apply, and some might even say that some of the best works were technically born from darkness to begin with.

Then of course, there's the near-fact that we're always our own worst critics, every creative walk of life is oversaturated due to our overpopulated planet and it's even easier to feel insignificant due to the millions of people on the internet who can seemingly do it 'better' than you, and it's just a recipe for disaster.

But still, we create nonetheless. It's kind of weird when you think about it that way.

Do people literally "turn" their brains off, I can't relate
I wrestled with this question for more than 20 years. Do they turn off their emotions or interests consciously?

The answer is ‘No’. They aren’t turning anything ‘On’ or ‘Off’. It’s happening TO them, probably by Mother Nature. They’re just ignorant enough to think that they’re in control of it and that they are doing it on purpose. We are frustrated by the fact that we cannot turn it ‘Off’ and think there’s something we could learn from them. And they judge us and say that we should learn to do it like they’re doing it so that we could relax like they do. When that fails, they call us ‘broken’ and we believe them.

I’m an old man now. I have asked this question constantly for more than 1/2 of my life. The answer is that we are simply wired different. The problem we have is that our wiring stops us from being ‘blissfully ignorant’.

Yup, the fame would be difficult. And l was okay with being poor. I didn't lust after money.
The happiest people I have ever known were neither in debt or rich. They had just enough and knew that family mattered more than money.

Money only buys more money, not happiness.

Then of course, there's the near-fact that we're always our own worst critics, every creative walk of life is oversaturated due to our overpopulated planet and it's even easier to feel insignificant due to the millions of people on the internet who can seemingly do it 'better' than you, and it's just a recipe for disaster.
Wow… you summarize our current existence so well.

The secret is to take one’s creativity and do it for yourself. If others happen to see it and admire it (I can’t even say ‘like’ because of the damn internet) then great. If you do it for ‘likes’, there will always be someone who steals it or smashes it in words typed from their grandmother’s basement.

We each need a “Manager”. Someone who can help us exactly like a huge rock band. The band makes the music. The manager plans the tour. The guy playing guitar knows where the bus is going….. but he isn’t driving.

I think the only one that drove me "up the wall" was when I got obsessed with ebola and it was a nightmare! Thankfully, it only lasted two weeks, but I sure did want to rid it, but was not able to.

If I feel I am sliding into an obsessed mode, it does cause stress in itself, because I have to pull myself away in order to function in normal life.

However, since diagnosis, I do have a much better grasp on obsessions and can, up to a point, control myself.

My current long term ( more than 5 year's) is Korean dramas and now finding myself, being obsessed with EVERYTHING KOREAN.

Baked a sweet potato and ate it just how a Korean does, but, was quite disappointed, because their version is different. Mine just tasted sweet; whereas their version is with a nutty flavour.

I wish I was asian and not western lol

New Threads

Top Bottom