• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thinking of finding a church.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
Mainly to socialize with people who are trying to better themselves.

Joel Osteen’s church holds no value to me.

There are some churches that are hate groups and others that are not.

I think it is a good idea.
I would be happy for.you to find a church and tell me you found one where you are accepted for you because God accepts you for you.
But you are right some churches may be really good to you.
And I hope you go and it brings something to your life as well as God or faith does.
Good luck.

I just want to clarify that I didn't put "funny" because I disagree or anything negative. I just didn't expect it so it made me laugh.
It is ok.
But imagine if you could do anything except maybe break the law and be like really mean to people on purpose and you could still feel welcome in church?
I am not God but it sounds good to me considering church is a place for a sinners.

I am not God but it sounds good to me considering church is a place for a sinners.

Welp I guess the whole world needs to go to church, including me. Yeah. Not happening.

Also, 'church is a place for sinners'? Church was originally made so that the Childern of God could congregate and worship him, and his works, all as one. Yes sinners may confess thier sins, but don't nessissarily need to go to church to do that.

Too bad a large amount of churchs, including the flipping vaticant' are all corrupt, because of political nonsense muddling religion.

Last edited:
Welp I guess the whole world needs to go to church, including me. Yeah. Not happening.

Also, 'church is a place for sinners'? Church was originally made so that the Childern of God could congregate and worship him, and his works, all as one. Yes sinners may confess thier sins, but don't nessissarily need to go to church to do that.

Too bad a large amount of churchs, including the flipping vaticant' are all corrupt, because of political bs muddling religion.

"Church is for sinners" is more of a mantra to express the idea that Christians have flaws than anything you're talking about. It's often used as a counter to the argument many make that Christians are hypocrites so Christianity must be false, which is a misunderstanding of its most basic premise.

Either way, I think the thread is less about anyone's feelings about religion and more about Metalhead's desire to find an enjoyable social group that can have a positive influence on his life.

I feel a bit confused that you are looking to churches for this. Isn't the belief in a god or other spiritual deity the main reason for finding a church?

If you just want to be around people who are trying to better themselves, there are other communities of people that are doing this without the religion connection. I don't mean to disrespect anyone here who is religious; rather I mean to note the fact that churches are for worship and the socializing element is secondary. I think the community piece of a church can be very powerful, but it ought to come from shared religious beliefs, so you would have to be sure that you have those first. It would make more sense for that to guide your decision to be part of any church.

I hope I'm not misunderstanding your viewpoint, but it sounds like certain things in your life should change, but that you don't necessarily need to better yourself. That's my impression of you, anyway.

I think church is also a bit of a microcosm for people, in general. Some want to improve themselves, but others are there for entirely different reasons.

"Church is for sinners" is more of a mantra to express the idea that Christians have flaws than anything you're talking about. It's often used as a counter to the argument many make that Christians are hypocrites so Christianity must be false, which is a misunderstanding of its most basic premise.

Either way, I think the thread is less about anyone's feelings about religion and more about Metalhead's desire to find an enjoyable social group that can have a positive influence on his life.

I pretty well shot my mouth off in frustration. More just because of recent self-rumination.

I really have no room to talk about religion anyway, knowing little about any of it outside talk. Sorry to keep derailing.

I was baptized as an adult in an American Baptist church.

We just had a great big funeral for one of the first transsexual women in the world. She was one of the first drag queens of the 20th century. She was also the world's first known "Trans-Pentacostal Pastor". She had her own tv show and everything. The church is not gigantic, and struggles financially, but they gave her a beautiful funeral.

Sister Paula was my friend and I miss her terribly.

She came to the American Baptist church because although she is a Pentecostal, she could not find a church home in her own community. She said that she found biblical accuracy, and true love and acceptance and friendship at First Baptist. Although she was not on the staff, she was respected and treated as an elder, and she would preach from time to time.

That church sticks to the bible, seeing it as The Word of God, and uses it to fuel their compassion. They house one of the biggest homeless feeds in the city, they run a school for children in Cambodia, and so much more.

I rarely go there, but oh my gosh, they are just full of love.

Also, my daughter's old Sunday School teacher was like a mother to me. I mourn her more than some of my own relatives.

I think you would really enjoy an American Baptist Church. They are very biblically accurate, and also so compassionate and accepting.

This is Sister Paula, my friend I miss terribly.

Last edited:
I just have to say once more how much I love American Baptist denomination. I'm not a Baptist, but I feel so very much at home there, and we have such a community of people, from all walks of life and various regions of the world. Their message is about knowing that we are to be living out God's Love as a verb, towards humanity.

I don't know if it's the same in other cities, but where I live, the American Baptist church is known as "First Baptist". It's in a beautiful old basalt stone sanctuary- built before Oregon and Washington were even states. You'll probably have to research in your area.

HI there mate

Shop around and find a church that "fits" where you are at the moment. I do not think there is a "right" church, but more there is a place for you in some fellowship somewhere. It might take you a while to find it, and it may only be for a while, but if it is the right place for you at that time, stay there; be with them share with them, contribute to their wellbeing.

Too bad a large amount of churchs, including the flipping vaticant' are all corrupt, because of political nonsense muddling religion.
Interesting point (to me; maybe I’m easily entertained) is the New Testament assigns another reason for congregating. It asserts God’s plan is for congregants to utilize their spiritual gifts to mutual benefit. Ergo, the instructions not to give up meeting together.

Agreed, this dynamic has been pretty much stifled by the priest and single-pastor models. Still, @Metalhead might well find purpose beyond the socialization he seeks.

Interesting point (to me; maybe I’m easily entertained) is the New Testament assigns another reason for congregating. It asserts God’s plan is for congregants to utilize their spiritual gifts to mutual benefit. Ergo, the instructions not to give up meeting together.

Agreed, this dynamic has been pretty much stifled by the priest and single-pastor models. Still, @Metalhead might well find purpose beyond the socialization he seeks.
For the longest time, I was anti-Christianity thanks to the sexist racist homophobic Baptist church my sister forced me to attend when I was in middle school. Now I realize that church was the true anti-Christianity and I was just playing with my Deicide CDs.

I am now agnostic but open to options.

New Threads

Top Bottom