• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Sewing Thread (and other fiber/textile stuff).

Gerontius

V.I.P Member
Let's have a sewing thread - pun intended of course.

I have been making a pattern for the gores for an old fashioned newsboy cap. It's been pretty easy to make. Draw on cardboard, then trace with tailors chalk or white grease pencil on your fabric, then sew the pieces together. Attaching a brim and sweatband are up to your preference because these caps are traditionally a men's cap but women's or unisex versions are possible (and very stylish with the right outfit.) If machine sewing, suit fabric isn't very stiff so you'll need to tighten up the tension on your upper thread or it'll make a mess in your sewing machine.

To make this one I've cut up an old coat and used half of it. The collar will end up as part of the sweatband and I am using a heavy cotton utility fabric when I make the liner. Still need to get interfacing and iron that on.

Am also making a cotton shirt, a half button pullover that's styled after very plain utility shirts from the turn of the last century. It's not done yet.

And in other news I'm fixing some Singer sewing machines, again. Awhile ago I had posted in a different thread about fixing a junky old sewing machine from 1892. It's been pretty fun. I've been using it a lot and it's getting dialed in as I learn how to use it better.

But when you have old stuff you need spare parts so I decided to sacrifice a few crusty old Singers for that. Unfortunately it looks like I got to swapping parts on my spare parts and might end up building at least another one. (One will be hand cranked, and I'm debating making an electric one using a belt drive and small sewing motor.) Keeps the hands busy.

17039986253065045454493414008391.jpg

Hat pattern! I've added seam allowance of about a quarter inch more or less. Newsboy caps are pretty forgiving to make so this is not precise.

17039987034804205315519983214675.jpg

My "spare parts." Both are Singer 127 vibrating shuttle type. 1919 on left, 1923 on right. I worked on the 1919 and it'll run again no problem, am currently trying to unseize the other one which is locked up and frozen solid.
1703998802163101149631077704403.jpg

Inside the 1923 model. Pure rust. No wonder the crankshaft is seized and nothing turns. Currently have some penetrating oil soaking the bearings to try to get it to rotate.

1703972104882.jpg

My shirt/blouse/pullover thing. Not a great snapshot. I made it on my "new" treadle machine except for buttonholes which I added on the electric 99K portable.
17039989526165095986585572900412.jpg

Last edited:
I actually learned to sew on the older machine that l pumped with my feet when a tween. Now l sew to tailor things to my body type or it's wear 10/12 in girl clothes. Lol. Now l sew on a heavy duty Singer. My daughter is an accomplished sewer. I have made my own patterns from copying clothes l own.

I am gradually getting better, but still a long way to go.

I can make skirts ( yep, because they are easy peasy lol). My first attempt, was someone giving me some lovely velvet type material and I used a skirt that I loved the flow of, as a template and actually did wear that skirt for a few occasions, but sadly, my skills were very weak and thus, did not last long.

I am quite good at alterations. Made my own peg bag, using a most appropiate cross stitch pattern I had made ie hanging washing up and that was many year's ago and that bag is still in use today.

Finally, realised that for fat fabric, the sewing machine tension needs to be loose ie at level one and for lighter, tension a little tighter. Wow!

I have a miniture sewing machine, which I love and it is thanks to that, I am learning more.

I actually learned to sew on the older machine that l pumped with my feet when a tween.

Likewise - though I was often surprised by how fast it can go, and so sometimes I'd just use the hand wheel.

When I was taking home economics in high school in the 2000s, I think I was one of only two students who had a sewing machine at home.

It's a skill that's kind of gone away and forgotten about. Not surprisingly, alteration shops seem to do a booming business where I am.

I have sewn quite a lot of useful things. I made a perfect size cover out of PC for an giant footstool. I have sewn very nice knee pads, l have reinforced purses. Taken very nice cloth shower curtains and made curtains. My SO wears his fav shorts over and over, so l repair holes, the best l can. One time l attempted a bedspread, but it was too much to sew at that time, l needed a more powerful machine because the layers where too thick. When l lived in Hawaii, l made Hawaiian style dresses.

I am gradually getting better, but still a long way to go.

I can make skirts ( yep, because they are easy peasy lol). My first attempt, was someone giving me some lovely velvet type material and I used a skirt that I loved the flow of, as a template and actually did wear that skirt for a few occasions, but sadly, my skills were very weak and thus, did not last long.

I am quite good at alterations. Made my own peg bag, using a most appropiate cross stitch pattern I had made ie hanging washing up and that was many year's ago and that bag is still in use today.

Finally, realised that for fat fabric, the sewing machine tension needs to be loose ie at level one and for lighter, tension a little tighter. Wow!

I have a miniture sewing machine, which I love and it is thanks to that, I am learning more.

A long time ago, you posted some photos of your cross-stitch projects and they were awesome!

Needlepoint is very relaxing. I enjoyed that. I probably will start again this year. Knitting is difficult because you may not noticed your mistake until 10 rows later, then you rip it out. I love crocheting, it's fun, different size hooks and different types of yarn.

I like cross-stitch, too, and I'm learning to knit. It's hard!
I love knitting socks. I am currently making my first shawl ever...so far so good. Whenever I need to know how to do certain stitches, I go to verypink.com
She has a lot of free slow motion, super closeup videos of most every basic stitch. I have relearned what I used to know and have gone even further with help from that website. She also has a youtube channel, and a lot of free patterns! She has an answer to almost every kntting question I have

Needlepoint is very relaxing. I enjoyed that. I probably will start again this year. Knitting is difficult because you may not noticed your mistake until 10 rows later, then you rip it out. I love crocheting, it's fun, different size hooks and different types of yarn.
My mom and I have a joke when we are discussing getting to the end of our knitting projects.....How many times have you ripped it out so far? ...because we are both perfectionists and won't leave mistakes alone. I have started using a "lifeline", which I move up every 15 rows or so....that way I don't have to rip the whole project out if I can't un-knit it.
Here is how to use lifelines with knitting.

@MC1Rcat , good video. I don't think knitting is great for people that have underlying OCD like me. Because l hate not seeing a mistake, then having to redo it. The lifeline is excellent strategy.

I love knitting socks. I am currently making my first shawl ever...so far so good. Whenever I need to know how to do certain stitches, I go to verypink.com
She has a lot of free slow motion, super closeup videos of most every basic stitch. I have relearned what I used to know and have gone even further with help from that website. She also has a youtube channel, and a lot of free patterns! She has an answer to almost every kntting question I have

Thank you, @MC1Rcat for the website!

Last edited:
My mom and I have a joke when we are discussing getting to the end of our knitting projects.....How many times have you ripped it out so far? ...because we are both perfectionists and won't leave mistakes alone. I have started using a "lifeline", which I move up every 15 rows or so....that way I don't have to rip the whole project out if I can't un-knit it.
Here is how to use lifelines with knitting.
I will watch this at some point. It will be very helpful, I'm sure. I've done too much frustrating undoing in my knitting projects. Thanks @MC1Rcat

Attempted to make drawers out of a pillowcase and I don't like the way they came out.
I did get the first of my hats finished up mostly, and liked the way it came out a lot more than the drawers project.

Hardest thing to find isn't sewing machine parts or thread or fabric. It's hard to find patterns for men's clothing.

I love Cross-stitch I took it up about 2 yrs ago then took up embroidery I find it really relaxing,I've made pictures for family and friends but my favourite is a cushion I made for my daughter bed and a framed picture of some character she likes out of a Disney film

I used to do a lot of knitting, spinning and weaving and even sewing, but have not done any of that in ages and ages. I keep thinking I'll start up again with some of this, but life keeps throwing me curve balls.

New Threads

Top Bottom