• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Rat Race - What's the Point?

I've been having an existential crisis for about 10 years now. I commute on the 6am train into the city, work all day, get home late, sleep and repeat. I with with dozens of office zombies who try so desperately to clone the person next to them, who is actually just trying to clone the person next to them, and so on. And the worst thing is that they SEEM TO ENJOY IT. It's like a horror movie where the slaves don't even realize they are trapped. I commute back home with a swarm of people shoulder to shoulder, with dead expressions on their faces and repeat. I don't even contribute to society, I move money around for rich people. Hell, I don't even do that, I manage the teams that build the systems that move money around for rich people.

It's pointless. It's all pointless and there's no escape. I could take a lower paid job closer to where I live, but then I would have to do this for longer. If I continue the way I am for 20 years I will get a tiny pension, which considering how much I've been paying in for the last 20 years is quite frankly ridiculous.

I went through a phase of blaming my husband, and then myself, thinking I must have taken a wrong turn at some point in my life, but really, I can't see any other options.

So I have been reading the above advice and it's good, I do work for freedom. I now earn enough to drop to 4 days a week and now enjoy 3/7 of my life! I have a few shawshank holes that I am digging. I've been reading this the Elias forum: Digests – Table of Contents lately. I'm studying to be an author and working on this when I'm not exhausted. I'm also thinking about contracting so I can get the illusion of freedom, or at least some flexibility. I also joined a run club, I'm miserable anyway, I might as well be miserable whilst running in the cold o_O

It depends on how cynical you want me to be. In certain countries, you work for the betterment of the Leaders. That's it. In a democratic society, you may have more of an illusion that you are working for a purpose, but...........

No for non-cynical Okrad----
This is something people work at and have for thousands of years. Why are we here? What is purpose? If we had many options on what that looked like, it would be easier for us. But now? It's not like it was.

The ancient Anthenians has tons of philosophers of every ilk who said the Purpose in Wisdom! No, it's Pleasure! No, it's Virtue! No, it's Poverty! No, it's Religion! No, it's Family!

You could go from one to the other (with many other friends) depending on your situation in life. No, if you follow Diogenes the Cynic, you will be the ONLY one and people will look askance, but when they fall, they might think, "Hmmmmm, how does s/he do it?"

Think like an Aspie here and NEVER gauge purpose by NTs. Look around at people you admire. If it's odd, so what?

People go toward what they want in their hearts. If it's Diogenes the Cynic, great! If it's Bill Gates, cool!

As to fun? I don't have a lot of that either, but I really like your posts. I find your posts actually fun and engaging. I do hope you find us fun, too. :)

What is the point? For me it is easy, family. Being with my family makes me happy, just thinking about my family makes me happy. I always did what I did for my family. This gives the "rat race" a reason and makes things a lot easier.

To me it's self pride and to know you're a productive member of society. I also hope that through my efforts employers will hire more people with disabilities and that I can encourage other people with Autism to go to work as well as they can see how successful I have been.

Think most people have some sort of purpose for working. I always did, it was for independence. So that no one could have a say in the life I wanted. Didn't want to rely on anybody else, bosses had no say, outside of the inanities of work. Beyond that it left few marks on me. Could think what I wanted, no one could get in my head. It didn't take away my life, because I found ways to have a life outside of it, during it.

Read on the way to work, on the way back. Lunch was skating or walking or running on the track at the park nearby. Went to galleries at lunch, cafes, parks. On the way home I was never too tired with some jobs to discover something interesting. I lived a life in conjunction with the job. Some people I knew worked so they could travel. Others so they could party, or socialize. With the money I could go to school, take dance classes, martial arts, it was part of the plan all along. Would leave work with a bag, and change into other clothing at the club and dance friday nights away. I could choose what I enjoyed, money helped by offering more avenues to take. For me that was the point and the possibilities were endless.

Alcohol and drugs had a very little part in it, didn't like being controlled by people or substances. Recall waking up, and not knowing what had happened after many tequila sunrises, you think you're fine and then you stand-up and try to walk, and your legs don't work. After that I stopped, it made me angry, losing control. Didn't crave the oblivion, there was nothing so terrible that I wanted to forget it, rather I looked to piece it together and make some sense of it. At the time, I liked the drama and excitement of it all. The unpredictability, the ups and downs of that night life. The 'coolness' of it all, that differentiated me from others.

Yet, the more my life became what I thought of as boring, regular, the less I craved that other life before. The unpredictability and the roller coaster lifestyle was exciting, but hard I realized on my body and sense of self. Wanted peace and quiet, and predictability and time to think.

Last edited:
Have to agree with Mia re wanting to be independent- dependency, especially financial dependency, has always frightened me. In my adult life no one has ever supported me, not even my ex-husband. Also have always had lots of interests and pursuing them has helped make things more bearable. But in my mind, nothing can compare to when you discover a passion in life and are able to pursue it (along with relationships if they are important to you).

You were created by your parents, something that just happened, you had no choice over this, but now that you are here, what are you going to do? Survive. Your instincts kick in to keep yourself alive, then reproduce (make more babies who also have no choice) and care for your offspring, then, when you die, you pass the buck onto them, and the cycle continues. That's life.
Since I’ve had to survive alone all my life, I’m not having any babies. I’ve never been maternal. This is where the ‘cycle’ ends with me unless I find someone to be with, but I’m not interested in children. I hate children these days. I really do. So, I’ve decided to turn my focus on a past-time long term with my art.

Have to agree with Mia re wanting to be independent- dependency, especially financial dependency, has always frightened me. In my adult life no one has ever supported me, not even my ex-husband. Also have always had lots of interests and pursuing them has helped make things more bearable. But in my mind, nothing can compare to when you discover a passion in life and are able to pursue it (along with relationships if they are important to you).

On being dependant on someone :

It's a rare bird who has the money in a relationship and,in times of conflict,
Does not use the 'dependency card' to ensure complicity.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to remain silent when being attacked in times of duress.

Lots of cards to use in a relationship....

Like threatening to leave.....

(Circumstances mean that can be a funny and serious comment, from happenings of yesterday :),)

Yup, remaining silent is difficult but I am working on it as letting others push your buttons doesn't result in any forward progress.

Since I’ve had to survive alone all my life, I’m not having any babies. I’ve never been maternal. This is where the ‘cycle’ ends with me unless I find someone to be with, but I’m not interested in children. I hate children these days. I really do. So, I’ve decided to turn my focus on a past-time long term with my art.
I don't have children, either.

But really, what's the point? Work to make money to pay bills that allow you to survive so you can go to work and make money to pay bills that allow you to survive so you can go to work and make money to pay bills that allow you to survive so you can go to work and...

And so on, until retirement or death. What is the point? It's like a dog chasing his own tail. It's so incredibly circular, and the only variance is an unexpected bill that makes things more difficult.

Yes, I get a warm bed, a roof over my head, and a full stomach, but wow is that unsatisfying if that's what I get in exchange for my life. I get to exist, yay.

It has nothing to do with my job. I like my job. It's tiring and stressful, but it's mentally engaging, I'm well-loved, I get rockstar treatment, I'm good at it, and I like my various bosses. Additionally, the sky's the limit as far as potential advancement. Best job I've ever had, in fact. So it's not the job.

Then don't work to live and live to work. Work to work and live to live.

I've been saying it a fair amount lately to folks I know and it's true: Monday is my favorite day of the week. I get to go to work for the whole rest of that week. Before now I struggled to get employed and stay employed. It was profoundly disappointing and there were many experiences, many insights into life that I didn't have yet.

As a worker I get to take pride in what I make, pride in making the lives of others around me easier by working well, going hard and fast and doing it the right way. I get to push my limits and think about what I can do better, improve my physical shape, and also I can enjoy being around some of the people I admire most.

There is this guy at my work that we call grandpa for fun because he was always the oldest one on the crew. The guy is an animal, I mean he has such an awesome work ethic that he's in the shape of an athlete, and for several months I was always wanting to work like him but couldn't measure up. Now the two of us get to work together most of the time at the most challenging and demanding station there, it's a blast and we push each other to do better, fool around and heckle each other for getting stuck.

My point being? I get to work. Aside from that I've been struggling a lot with depression and don't understand how to cope with this whole living thing, but I'm glad I do understand the things that I do.

Well, id say that some people doesnt need a real meaning in their job, they live and fulfill themselves outside of their jobs.

Others need a meaningfull job, and we need both of them in our society.
Plus people change their mind.
Itd not because someone is engaged in a rat race that he will do it all his life^^

We doesnt need those who know that they are doing something wrong but doesnt care thought...id say the real problem of mankind is there...

For aspies and autism there is both kind of people, some need something that is secure and repetitive. Some needs more meaning.

I dont know if it is because i am aspie or not, but id say that i need a work that i find meaningfull because im more tired from working than the average.
Plus i always think of eveeything i do , i ruminate so i wont handle doing someting
I disagree with.

Id say that if you think your daily routine as a rat race, well its time.to add something or change something.

I think the rat race is a co-operative game we play to fulfill goals that are bigger than ourselves.
On the lowest level is what you describe, drudgery - eat, sleep, bills etc... On the next level you may be building something, contributing to society, changing the world in a meaningful way. On another level maybe it’s in our dna to fulfill even greater goals, for example populating other planets and everybody in their own small way is contributing to this destiny.
My point is that whatever our reason for being here very likely has nothing to do with anything you value personally or your own feelings of fulfillment.
But, maybe we should just be greatful because we’re pretty darn lucky to live comfortably considering the possibilities.
I use to ask “the meaning of it all” question a lot. Now I’m pretty old and I just view everyday as an opportunity.

Wow, awesome responses so far! I guess I am basically asking the meaning of existence. I'm trying really hard not to just sink into some nihilistic depression. I feel desperate in trying to find some meaning.

But you all pointing that out makes me realize something. I'm worried about more than just my basic survival needs. I've moved up Mazlow's Hierarchy, and now I'm looking for purpose and meaning rather than basic survival and security. This is a good thing, not a bad thing. I look forward to more responses and more perspectives, thank you all, you guys never fail me

I'm very much in the same understanding as Judge... But also I am obviously not near as mature in my thinking as Judge is. I also get super hung up this invisible "gap" my temporal physical existence, and my my eternal self, higher self, soul, spirit, whatever you wish to call it... (if you happen to remember or know there is much more than this)...

For me its not a "belief," its an inner knowing that I have known since my very first thoughts, so that is why I get so upset with mans lies and false doctrines, and MAN-ipulative BS, that is just a license to have power over their guilt and money. I don't play those games of power.

Maybe that is why I was born this way... to not play those games this time around and find my own way... And over time I have done pretty well... Never to say I don't struggle. I struggle everyday, but struggle IS GROWTH unless you slip and fall into the cracks of woe is me, and depression, and i have been in both and will probably visit those crappy places again... just to crawl out find some humility and strength to carry on and find who I am for this LIFE.

In that vast "gap" is the very reason we live. We are here to learn, fail, overcome, do something horrible, do something great, all depending on how we see who we really are.

Somewhere buried in that "gap" is a greatness that needs to be nurtured for this life, and all the lives to come for places where eons don't even equate to a time frame...

Our humanity is so huge, and so complex, but beyond that we think its not even comprehendible, yet when we get through with these temporal challenges that mass of unexplainable is once more our NORMAL...

Sometimes its not about failing, or winning, or being upset with the narrative of this reality... Its what we do to change us, and that was all we were supposed to worry with in the first place.

The greatest changes in the world... Start inside each one of us one day at a time. NOSCE TE IPSUM : )

I find myself thinking this all the time. Every day it seems we just go through the same procedure, slowly waiting to die. We don't bother to put any effort into anything, so our lives are just pointless.There isn't any solution, is there? Sure, we all want to live, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that. Sometimes i just picture what it must be like to stop existing. It unnerves me, but it's always there, and i can't stop thinking about it. I guess it's just one of those existential questions we'll never answer.

I believe you are thinking within a fairly narrow box here. There is an underlying assumption that your purpose in life is to some extent about personal, individual fulfillment. What if it is more than that? What if your role in this world (or possibly the next) goes beyond "do what makes me happy?" I struggled with this for a while as well. My education and career gave me the resources to do things that made me feel good in the moment, but that feeling didn't ever last as long as I wanted it to. Life started to feel a bit same-y. I've recently had a revelation that constantly striving for individual pleasure might, in fact, NOT be the purpose of my existence and I have found this concept to be incredibly freeing. Within that revelation is the belief that I, personally, do not have to discover the reason for my initial or continued existence. That it is continually provided to me on a daily basis is evidence enough for me that I am, in fact, living out my purpose!

When we live our lives in such as way - as in "how can I help you?" - rather than in "what's in this for me?" ...there is something very powerful and wonderful in that approach. It's quite the opposite of the typical worldly mindset.

More selflessness and less selfishness is the key to happiness - and from my perspective, in fulfilling our purpose. ...At the end of the day chasing after cheese is as futile as trying to catch the wind in your hands.

New Threads

Top Bottom