• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Rat Race - What's the Point?

Gritches

The Happy Dog
V.I.P Member
Now, before I begin, I'm not implying that there isn't a point. In fact, I'm sure there is a point, and that's what I'm trying to ascertain; because I find that if something seems pointless, I'm probably just missing the point.

But really, what's the point? Work to make money to pay bills that allow you to survive so you can go to work and make money to pay bills that allow you to survive so you can go to work and make money to pay bills that allow you to survive so you can go to work and...

And so on, until retirement or death. What is the point? It's like a dog chasing his own tail. It's so incredibly circular, and the only variance is an unexpected bill that makes things more difficult.

Yes, I get a warm bed, a roof over my head, and a full stomach, but wow is that unsatisfying if that's what I get in exchange for my life. I get to exist, yay.

It has nothing to do with my job. I like my job. It's tiring and stressful, but it's mentally engaging, I'm well-loved, I get rockstar treatment, I'm good at it, and I like my various bosses. Additionally, the sky's the limit as far as potential advancement. Best job I've ever had, in fact. So it's not the job.

It all just seems so futile. LucyPurrs pointed out to me that I should learn to play, because all work and no play makes Gritches a dull boy. This is something I've struggled with ever since getting sober; how the hell do sober people have fun? What am I supposed to do, build a freaking ship in a bottle?

I get done with work and I'm too tired to do anything anyway. I'm asleep by 8pm just so I can wake up at 5 to go to work again. Then the weekends are just recovery from the week, but that's yet another thread that's been done already.

Things have never been better for me, but it all just feels so pointless. This is it? This is life? So many people do exactly what I'm doing, so there must be some bigger point or purpose that I'm missing out on, but what is it? What makes this all worth it?

But really, what's the point? Work to make money to pay bills that allow you to survive so you can go to work and make money to pay bills that allow you to survive so you can go to work and make money to pay bills that allow you to survive so you can go to work and...
This is the point. Survival. Continued existence until you die. And to reproduce to ensure the long-term survaval of the species.

You were created by your parents, something that just happened, you had no choice over this, but now that you are here, what are you going to do? Survive. Your instincts kick in to keep yourself alive, then reproduce (make more babies who also have no choice) and care for your offspring, then, when you die, you pass the buck onto them, and the cycle continues. That's life.

Unfortunately, this is how it works for 90% of the world. Whether you are expending your time/energy/labor at a job to make money to buy basic necessities, or expending them to obtain the basic necessities... subsistence living is pretty much as good as it gets for most of us.

And fairly soon one arrives at the question: "what's the point?" or more philosophically, "why?"
The great human conundrum: why do I exist? is there anything more? We are gifted with these amazing minds, capable of asking these questions, but rather unable to figure out the answers.

Ok, so not very helpful so far. The point of the "rat race" (work to survive, survive to work) is, in part, exactly that, survival. Any other point, is really up to you. Some people find it in religion, some in philosophy, family, hobbies. Some turn nihilistic (there is no point, nothing matters). For myself, the "point" is pretty basic. Seeing and taking pleasure in the smallish things in life and nature. The smell of autumn, the "rebirth" of nature in spring, sunrises. The sense of accomplishment of completing some task at work, or home. These things, for me, are part of "the point."

Since you mention it, "what do sober people do for fun?" ... I put to the corollary "was being drunk really that fun?" I mean, you quit for a reason, likely in part because it was doing more damage than good.

I need something more. So I Followed My Bliss (per Joseph Campbell) to rescuing cats, then understanding cats, and now I have a blog and an upcoming book to help other people enjoy their cats.

It's great that you enjoy your job and get wonderful feedback and the tools to live, and while I also have that to a certain extent, I have a creative drive which will go on to fiction once this cat venture is more self-sustaining.

These are things that do not drain me; they energize me. And that is why I can fit them into my busy life :)

None of us are just one thing. Unless we play chess at a very high level :)

Additionally, the sky's the limit as far as potential advancement.

Your quote needs to have a long term plan. Including saving money and plan for taxes etc. Depends on how much you will be making.

If your quote happens and you avoid lifestyle inflation, things will get so much better and easier for you down the line.

For most,its a drag but if you have a plan you get
Say ten years of groundhog day
Then you have some freedom.
Maybe another ten years
A lot more freedom.

You can plan first,work hard and work out what your freedom is in the interrim.
You dont need it yet.

A freedom may be Playing golf for some - but if thats all you come up with
Just cut straight to death :)

The "rat race" is to get to the top fast and stay at the top.

It all comes down to judging people by the kind of employment they have.

I am on a quest to get a job for 3 main reasons:

1: I could kind of do with the loot
2: I WANT to work, despite being told by government Doctors that I'm too "ill" to work
3: To shut the Daily Fail readers on Facebook up about their opinion that I am a work shy slave to the benefit system.

Gritches - you raise a question which has been pondered by so many - and by each generation - since the dawn of time. I won't get off topic by posting anything religious, but the book of Ecclesiastics basically covers your entire post.

In the end, the author came to exactly your very same conclusion. ..So what is the point? Is it to eat, drink, and be merry? ...No, not quite - but it's very easy to come to that conclusion.

We all serve a purpose in the mosaic of life. And when you discover how you fit into that puzzle, there is contentment in knowing that you are invariably providing comfort and support for others - both family and friends - and pets, whether you know it or not.

Life is far too complex to answer this question, but we all have a destiny and an earthly mission. It's by no means a coincidence that we are born unto certain parents, or that we are blessed with our children, or certain friends, or even our pets. And when we ponder how their lives might be different, if we weren't there, for the much needed stability or support, it makes you wonder.

So in the end, we do our best - to lead good lives, to be good examples ...to show kindness. Give forgiveness. Receive forgiveness. Love your family - even if it's difficult. Love your neighbor and your cranky coworkers - which is even harder! But most importantly - discover the source of that love - and do you what you can to reflect it.

A favorite quote of mine.... "Lighthouses don't fire off cannon balls. They just shine." And that's all we have to do - in this often confusing and dark world, where everyone carries a hurt of some kind. ...So at the end of the day, it's not really a race (a rat race) - but rather a journey. And it's much nicer to walk, and take it all in - instead of constantly rushing and racing through it. Don't enter the race.

...my two cents. Thanks for letting me share.

Last edited:
Now, before I begin, I'm not implying that there isn't a point. In fact, I'm sure there is a point, and that's what I'm trying to ascertain; because I find that if something seems pointless, I'm probably just missing the point.

And so on, until retirement or death. What is the point? It's like a dog chasing his own tail. It's so incredibly circular, and the only variance is an unexpected bill that makes things more difficult.

Yes, I get a warm bed, a roof over my head, and a full stomach, but wow is that unsatisfying if that's what I get in exchange for my life. I get to exist, yay.

It has nothing to do with my job. I like my job. It's tiring and stressful, but it's mentally engaging, I'm well-loved, I get rockstar treatment, I'm good at it, and I like my various bosses. Additionally, the sky's the limit as far as potential advancement. Best job I've ever had, in fact. So it's not the job.

It all just seems so futile. LucyPurrs pointed out to me that I should learn to play, because all work and no play makes Gritches a dull boy. This is something I've struggled with ever since getting sober; how the hell do sober people have fun? What am I supposed to do, build a freaking ship in a bottle?

I get done with work and I'm too tired to do anything anyway. I'm asleep by 8pm just so I can wake up at 5 to go to work again. Then the weekends are just recovery from the week, but that's yet another thread that's been done already.

Things have never been better for me, but it all just feels so pointless. This is it? This is life? So many people do exactly what I'm doing, so there must be some bigger point or purpose that I'm missing out on, but what is it? What makes this all worth it?

I know so deeply what you are saying...
I do things to throw me out of the rut. I am in the middle of that right now. I did my stuff, I saved some money back, I planned a trip and I drove off. I have been on the road just being me all week and I'm 1400 miles from home...

I can get perspective doing that. I don't know how or why, but I can. I came on this trip to just do things I don't normally do. I'm forcing myself to adapt to a new hotel room every night. I traded vehicles. I am trying to shut out all the stuff that says I need to be home doing and working on that massive list of stuff that is just stuff that I do like I am stuck on this wheel of work...

I use that wheel to go do something that gets me out of the rut that wheel is stuck in...

So maybe instead of building a ship in a bottle save up and buy a boat... We work to survive, but we also work to be able to enjoy LIFE and sometimes for people like us it hard to enjoy anything because we worry over everything...

By the way getting drunk and doing drugs is only a way to run from LIFE... LIFE is here to enjoy and sometimes it sucks and we get sick, or addicted to something just so we can relearn how to live over and over if needed... Go do something you don't normally do and scare the crap out of yourself ONLY to find out WE can do way more than we think we can... Just a thought, it works for me sometimes... Sometimes it blows up in my face, BUT I do try to LIVE and not just survive or exist... That is boring and gets me depressed and I get depressed too easy as it is,
so I will shake up my LIFE just to figure something out... : )

Some good stuff posted here. Gritches, it sounds kind of like you're in an existential crisis. Part of life is trying to figure out this stuff you are posting. It's not easy. Some people have to have a purpose and others just need to enjoy their lives. It's really great when you have both. Think about what's important to you, what you value, what you enjoy,what you hope to accomplish in life and where you want to go. Try new activities- that's the best way to learn how to play. Go bungee jumping, climb a mountain, travel, snorkel, ride a horse, anything new. I understand that weekends are recovery periods for those on the spectrum since work is so exhausting. But maybe you can find some solitary activities (like hiking) which will not only renew your energy but also give you some pleasure. Sometimes just a brief change of environment can re-energize. Take a weekend trip by yourself to recharge. Just loving your job is putting you WAY ahead of most people in life- how many really love their job?
It's kind of hard to find suggestions because I've no idea where you live, what your job is and what your special interests are if you have them. But I think you will understand what I'm saying.

I know so deeply what you are saying...
I do things to throw me out of the rut. I am in the middle of that right now. I did my stuff, I saved some money back, I planned a trip and I drove off. I have been on the road just being me all week and I'm 1400 miles from home...

I can get perspective doing that. I don't know how or why, but I can. I came on this trip to just do things I don't normally do. I'm forcing myself to adapt to a new hotel room every night. I traded vehicles. I am trying to shut out all the stuff that says I need to be home doing and working on that massive list of stuff that is just stuff that I do like I am stuck on this wheel of work...

I use that wheel to go do something that gets me out of the rut that wheel is stuck in...

So maybe instead of building a ship in a bottle save up and buy a boat... We work to survive, but we also work to be able to enjoy LIFE and sometimes for people like us it hard to enjoy anything because we worry over everything...

By the way getting drunk and doing drugs is only a way to run from LIFE... LIFE is here to enjoy and sometimes it sucks and we get sick, or addicted to something just so we can relearn how to live over and over if needed... Go do something you don't normally do and scare the crap out of yourself ONLY to find out WE can do way more than we think we can... Just a thought, it works for me sometimes... Sometimes it blows up in my face, BUT I do try to LIVE and not just survive or exist... That is boring and gets me depressed and I get depressed too easy as it is,
so I will shake up my LIFE just to figure something out... : )

Yay! You're on the road! Glad you posted, was wondering if your journey had begun yet. Have a fabulous trip! :D

Wow, awesome responses so far! I guess I am basically asking the meaning of existence. I'm trying really hard not to just sink into some nihilistic depression. I feel desperate in trying to find some meaning.

But you all pointing that out makes me realize something. I'm worried about more than just my basic survival needs. I've moved up Mazlow's Hierarchy, and now I'm looking for purpose and meaning rather than basic survival and security. This is a good thing, not a bad thing. I look forward to more responses and more perspectives, thank you all, you guys never fail me

Wow, awesome responses so far! I guess I am basically asking the meaning of existence. I'm trying really hard not to just sink into some nihilistic depression. I feel desperate in trying to find some meaning.

But you all pointing that out makes me realize something. I'm worried about more than just my basic survival needs. I've moved up Mazlow's Hierarchy, and now I'm looking for purpose and meaning rather than basic survival and security. This is a good thing, not a bad thing. I look forward to more responses and more perspectives, thank you all, you guys never fail me

Yeh most of use start at level zero...
You seemed to find lower levels that nobody knew existed.... :)

Im confident you'll keep finding higher ones

Take heart Gritches, if Fridge teases you I think it means you're In Like Flint, XD.

I remember bits of peoples stories.. I'm sure gritches remembers his, (now hes clean :))
But I try to stay on the right side where im confident that person will take it okay.

But with @Gritches I just don't care..

:) now gritches will get that, but if not he's a tough still young boot.

In a cosmic sense I believe we all temporarily reincarnate our souls as mortal beings to specifically "challenge ourselves" in ways totally unique to who and what we are. This can involve any variety of greater or lesser struggles and obstacles we intend for ourselves during this brief and temporary existence.

It can also involve the welfare of others. The possibility that in a particular incarnation, your entire existence may hinge only on a chance meeting with others, where you may have profoundly affected someone's life and yet you may have been totally unaware of when it happened.

This is why some very bad things happen to very good people. It's what makes life look to bleak at times. Yet it is all temporary and inconsequential in the big picture, because as an eternal soul while enduring some pretty ugly things on this plane of existence can enhance you, they cannot truly kill you.

Take it or leave it. However for me it's the only explanation that gives this existence any real meaning. And without it, I too would probably be asking the same thing. "What's the point?"

Life after death isn't an matter of faith to me. In my case I'm simply an eyewitness. Something that happened that I wasn't even seeking at the time.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom