• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The hardest part of meditation...

It is not so helpful, to look at M.M. Time as "other time".
It is eventually our goal to meditate at all times, not just "on the cushion".
And so, part of the practice is necessarily training ourselves to carry that meditative state of mind into our daily lives.

It surprises me, the incomplete instructions, portending to teach meditation.

Many of those "little portions" help, but, none of them are the true, end goal, with all of its benefits...
Ummm, some of us have full time jobs, kids, a mortgage. Plenty of distractions.
I believe people have to be involved in m.m. as much or as little as is right for them in the moment. It helps me a lot to do it for the 20 minutes I have after work.

Ummm, some of us have full time jobs, kids, a mortgage. Plenty of distractions.
I believe people have to be involved in m.m. as much or as little as is right for them in the moment. It helps me a lot to do it for the 20 minutes I have after work.
Those are responsibilities, not distractions.
Try not so much to look at that 20 min. as the only time you meditate.
Carry mindfulness into your life, maintain it as you tend to your responsibilities-- you will find that they are not really distractions.
Through the practice of M.M., you can engage more FULLY with your life-- this is not a novel distraction, it is a practice that is meant to envelop and enhance our understanding.

Often we can accomplish this by mindful walking, everywhere we go, between all those distractions.
Mindful eating is another opportunity, away from the couch.

The "thought" that our thinking is just fine as is, and that we just want to be comfortable, but ruminate on the same thoughts is self-defeating. If our M.M. practice is only 20 min. a day, IT will only ever be a distraction from our confusing hectic lives...

For me it's physical sensations/discomfort.

I have the same problem when I'm falling asleep. I start to fall asleep, I start to itch, various places. It's the same with meditation. There's no such thing as a comfortable position. My foot itches. My head itches. My nose itches. I'm suddenly aware of a wrinkle in my pants. I try to focus on my breathing and now my nose itches, I feel congestion. I spend the whole time chasing itches and physical discomforts that I'm suddenly aware of.

I have the same problem when I'm falling asleep. I start to fall asleep, I start to itch, various places. It's the same with meditation. There's no such thing as a comfortable position. My foot itches. My head itches. My nose itches. I'm suddenly aware of a wrinkle in my pants. I try to focus on my breathing and now my nose itches, I feel congestion. I spend the whole time chasing itches and physical discomforts that I'm suddenly aware of.
This happens to every meditator, at some point. The proper response, is to look at these physical sensations exactly as we look at intrusive thoughts. We simply watch them arise, endure for a bit, then pass away, requiring us to do nothing, no response necessary.
If you ever refrain from scratching an itch, you will find that it quickly passes, and that the area no longer itches. Scratching no longer required. In exactly the same way that we teach ourselves not to chase thoughts, while meditating.
Indeed, this is the main purpose of meditation, equanimity.

@SDRSpark-- this sounds like a dust-mite allergy, if it happens when you lay down, especially in bed.
Have you been tested?
I would HIGHLY recommend it.

@SDRSpark-- this sounds like a dust-mite allergy, if it happens when you lay down, especially in bed.
Have you been tested?
I would HIGHLY recommend it.

No I haven't, but I just assumed I'm allergic. Unfortunately I had to quit antihistamines recently because the side effects from them are worse than allergies (in fact I mistook antihistamine side effects for allergies for years before I figured it out.)

I think it's just my brain/body/nerves being obnoxious though. It doesn't feel like being bitten by anything, there's no mark/rash. No hives, no physical sign to go with the itching. It's just my brain being a pain in the butt I think.

No I haven't, but I just assumed I'm allergic. Unfortunately I had to quit antihistamines recently because the side effects from them are worse than allergies (in fact I mistook antihistamine side effects for allergies for years before I figured it out.)

I think it's just my brain/body/nerves being obnoxious though. It doesn't feel like being bitten by anything, there's no mark/rash. No hives, no physical sign to go with the itching. It's just my brain being a pain in the butt I think.
Dust Mites don't bite.
They are microscopic creatures that feed on our skin cells.
They are related to spiders, but far more primitive.
Their alimentary canal is particularly primitive, and they must turn and reconsume a skin cell 7-8 times to completely digest it.
Their waste and digestive juices are potent allergens that they smear all over everything, which then dries and puffs up into the air when we lay down. We are also allergic to their dead body parts.
Most cases of asthma and COPD are caused by dust mites.

I encourage you to read about others' experiences with it, and how they discovered the source of their allergies.
A simple skin-prick test will show your reaction, and can easily be administered by your doctor.

Most allergies are more easily pinpointable.
Flowers bloom, pollen is in the air.
Dust mite allergies are insidious because the mites and their wastes are invisible.
It is easy to believe that we are imagining the effect.
I know I did.

They inhabit our beds and our rugs, drapes, couches.

Notice when your nose stuffs up.
If it is when you get near, or sit or lay on or near these objects, then it is a dead giveaway.
We also tend to not get hives from these allergens-- just the itchiness, eye burning, shortness of breath when we are in the presence of the allergens.
My D.M. allergies are very bad, , and I itch and burn, but no hives.

Really.

Last edited:

Proper cleaning, vacuuming beds, couches, chairs-anything made of fabric, which is where our sloughed off skin cells, and dust mites go, with a hepa filter, washing bedsheets every 2-3 days, frequently washing rugs and drapes, and using hypoallergenic bedcovers drastically reduces our exposure, and a great deal of relief can be obtained.
There are treatments that introduce the allergen by shot or pill, that create immunity to the allergen.

Every day, the average adult sloughs off 1.5-2 grams of dead skin cells--enough to feed over a million dust mites!

Proper cleaning, vacuuming beds, couches, chairs-anything made of fabric, which is where our sloughed off skin cells, and dust mites go, with a hepa filter, washing bedsheets every 2-3 days, frequently washing rugs and drapes, and using hypoallergenic bedcovers drastically reduces our exposure, and a great deal of relief can be obtained.
There are treatments that introduce the allergen by shot or pill, that create immunity to the allergen.

None of my symptoms bother me enough to be worth all of that to prevent them, lol.

My "allergies" are however, 75% improved just by quitting antihistamines. The nasal dryness caused by the antihistamines turned out to be the cause of most of it. What started with itchy eyes in the spring turned into a years long thing of increasing "allergies" that really just turned out to be mostly side effects.

bed-bug-monsters.jpg

I don't want dust mites to be real. :(

My mind just won't go there. It doesn't know how to stop or slow down. I've tried the breathing thing and the counting thing and the thoughts always interrupt my counting. I remember when I was younger and trying to take other people's advice on getting to sleep. I'd try to count sheep and actually would try to envision each sheep thinking that might help. Sheep 1...blah blah blah...sheep 2.....blah blah blah.... sheep 3....blah blah, come on get back to the sheep....sheep 4. and that's how it'd go. Count from 10 backwards. Ok - a quick 10, 9, 8, …….not enough, maybe try 100. I'd try real hard to focus on my counting, 100, 99, blah blah, 98, 97, blah blah blah, 96, blah blah, where was I? 96, 95... I'd get all the way down to 1. Still wide awake and still thoughts swimming through my head like a school of fish.
I found the best I can do is when I'm driving or working jigsaw puzzles because I have to focus on what I'm doing, and, although it doesn't stop the thoughts, it either slows them down a little or they're a little more in the background.

(Hi @sidd851 where've you been?)

M
I've heard that meditation is especially useful to people on the spectrum because of our need to be out of the constant chatter we have in our heads, among other things.
At the same time, there are many reasons why we struggle with it.
What is it for you?
Meditating is hard because our brain doesn't understand a "no". If you try too hard to clear your mind and don't want to think of anything random thoughts will race through your mind.
I tell you to not think of the pink flying snake, what do you think of now?

Last edited:
My mind just won't go there. It doesn't know how to stop or slow down. I've tried the breathing thing and the counting thing and the thoughts always interrupt my counting. I remember when I was younger and trying to take other people's advice on getting to sleep. I'd try to count sheep and actually would try to envision each sheep thinking that might help. Sheep 1...blah blah blah...sheep 2.....blah blah blah.... sheep 3....blah blah, come on get back to the sheep....sheep 4. and that's how it'd go. Count from 10 backwards. Ok - a quick 10, 9, 8, …….not enough, maybe try 100. I'd try real hard to focus on my counting, 100, 99, blah blah, 98, 97, blah blah blah, 96, blah blah, where was I? 96, 95... I'd get all the way down to 1. Still wide awake and still thoughts swimming through my head like a school of fish.
I found the best I can do is when I'm driving or working jigsaw puzzles because I have to focus on what I'm doing, and, although it doesn't stop the thoughts, it either slows them down a little or they're a little more in the background.

(Hi @sidd851 where've you been?)
I started meditating by using an App that gave me guided meditation. During my 20 minute session, they come on every few minutes to remind me to gently bring myself back to focus on the breath, or counting. I rely on this to keep me from being too distracted.

M

Meditating is hard because our brain doesn't understand "no". If you try to hard to clear your mind and don't want to think of anything all randomn thoughts will race through your mind.
I tell you to not think of the pink flying snake, what do you think of now?
To anyone who says it didn't work for them, or that the challenges seem too much, I would suggest a coach or guided meditation. I need constant cuing by the moderator to keep me focused on the breathing.

The point of meditation is to empty your mind of thought.
Our thoughts are false. We can feel one way about something (ie: a family member) and the next day/week feel something different of them. I think it's because in that time frame our experiences have changed, so we are always in a flux of frame of mind. Don't dwell on the thoughts of the moment. If you repeat a mantra, even if sometimes you get distracted, gently bring yourself back to the mantra.
My favourite of the moment is..."I am grateful that in each moment I have the ability to change my life at will".
Even if you don't really believe this, you may come to eventually, because the mind is a powerful thing. Meditation over time is believed to rewire our neurons. Mend them.

I know that. Unfortunately, it is never easy for me to meditate, so I just gave up.
My life is very stressful. Meditation would be very helpful. I can’t remember the last time I could relax. Not even on vacations am I able to relax. And not even when I was on Xanax. My thoughts are not controllable. While thinking of something, and before I’m done, another one or even two come up. That’s how I spend every day.

I hope someday I will find a way to relax. But, honestly, I’m surprised I’m probably the only one here having that problem.

I know that. Unfortunately, it is never easy for me to meditate, so I just gave up.
My life is very stressful. Meditation would be very helpful. I can’t remember the last time I could relax. Not even on vacations am I able to relax. And not even when I was on Xanax. My thoughts are not controllable. While thinking of something, and before I’m done, another one or even two come up. That’s how I spend every day.

I hope someday I will find a way to relax. But, honestly, I’m surprised I’m probably the only one here having that problem.
I recently joined a Meet-up group that meditates on Saturday mornings. I feel that maybe if I immersed myself in a group setting, I could use the vibes to feel the meditation deeper.
I KNOW that you're not the only person who feels they can't do it. I would like to say that maybe you haven't tried all of the different ways to give it a shot? And I would also start out small, like for 3 minutes, and if that goes relatively well, then at some point you can build on the amount of time.
I also recognize that some people's minds race uncontrollably, especially without the aid of medication, and maybe 3 minutes would be a huge accomplishment. I wish I could walk you through it.

I recently joined a Meet-up group that meditates on Saturday mornings. I feel that maybe if I immersed myself in a group setting, I could use the vibes to feel the meditation deeper.
I KNOW that you're not the only person who feels they can't do it. I would like to say that maybe you haven't tried all of the different ways to give it a shot? And I would also start out small, like for 3 minutes, and if that goes relatively well, then at some point you can build on the amount of time.
I also recognize that some people's minds race uncontrollably, especially without the aid of medication, and maybe 3 minutes would be a huge accomplishment. I wish I could walk you through it.

I think I can start with a minute or two, but I don’t think I can do it in a group.
But I still have tons of things I have to do like studying, reading (I have a list of about 30 books I want to read. Each of them is between 300-500 pages!), learning designing and other things, so I don’t know how to clear up my mind, forget about everything and meditate.

Did you have the same problems when you first started meditating?

Last edited:
For those that experience difficulty: It is a practice.
See if post #18 explains it a bit better.

(Hi, Pats!)

My relationship with meditation has been similar to other experiences in my life. Managing my expectations led to genuine benefits and revealed my original assumptions were a far cry from reality. In practice, my fears and assumptions don’t manifest how I expect them to. I suppose there lies the pitfall in being stuck inside your head so much – you wind up so full of ideals or nightmares, that simply living in reality can be a task in of itself.

Initially I viewed meditation as something alien to my existence – to be able to calm one’s mind and body? Whilst I can dedicate my focus and attention to something to the point of obsession – I have left a lot of half-baked and unfinished projects and intentions in my wake. Sitting still is problematic at the best of times and I can rarely maintain pose or posture for longer than a few seconds before I have to move.

For as long as I can remember, my mind always raced, and my body has never stopped fidgeting. Favouring sitting cross legged on the floor was as close to meditation as I’d ever gotten until my mid-20’s. Unlike meditation, whilst I’m sat down, I sway from side to side for hours on end. There is a self-soothing to be found in this repetitive movement, and I suppose initially I viewed meditation as another means of calming me down. However, as with many expectations I’ve had throughout life, I expected the results to be instant and quickly became irritated and fatigued at the prospect of having to dedicate time in order to see improvement.

I reacted to initial difficulties in much the same way as I did in my early days with anxiety. I assumed meditation wouldn’t work for me - just as I had assumed improving my anxiety was a lost caused because I was “different” to other cases. All the “what if’s” took me down so many paths and possibilities where I couldn’t see an end or an improvement in my condition. The more time invested in worry, the more adept I became. Similarly – the more time I spent on meditation, the more I began to see benefits.

As others have mentioned – the idea of calming my thoughts down whilst sat still, or clearing my head entirely was the biggest challenge for me when it came to meditation. The first few times I closed my eyes and I had a constant thought in my head that rumbled in the background amongst all the other racing thoughts. This thought of “Ed, you’re doing this wrong” – why was this? I suppose it was because of two reasons: my assumption results would be sudden and second, because I was judging myself on somewhat unrealistic standards and expectations.

Focusing on clearing my mind or focusing on breathing can become frustrating and laborious during meditation. Then again, there is such a wide variety of meditation practices that I was presented with a rather intimidating question – which one is the “right” one? I figured that my initial struggle with meditation was because I hadn’t found the one that was compatible with who I was and what I needed to get out of meditation.

Something changed when I was seeing my third therapist. The whole reason I entered therapy again was because I had struggled with the CBT approach and this therapist’s biography showed that he approached therapy with a variety of other techniques. He was also called Ed and he was a practicing Buddhist. The first session didn’t get off to a good start as I didn’t realise it was cash payments only. I said I would go to a cash point after the session – but there was a sense of distrust in his expression before we even began the session. As we settled into the session and I described my well told anxiety story I could see a great deal of compassion in him. He seemed emotionally moved by some of the most painful experiences and memories I had experienced and by the end of the session he said he was happy for me to pay him the following session.

He led me in numerous guided meditations. Some were body scans and others were guided or visual exercises. I’ll never forget one meditation session we had which was at the end of one of our therapy appointments. I recall being off work that day (back when I worked a 4 on 4 off rota). Being in a city there was always a lot of background noise in the room from the outside world and this often presented a distraction in the early days for me. However, during this session something clicked, and still to this day I’m not sure what it was. When I described how I felt in our next session he seemed quite shocked and impressed by what I had experienced and used a word/term I have since forgotten to describe it.

In my early 20’s I had experimented with a lot of different drugs. Whilst I had self-medicated with weed and alcohol for prolonged periods, there was quite a lot of other drugs I tried a handful of times. All of these experiences paled in comparison to how I felt after this meditation session. I don’t say this lightly, as some experiences I had with drugs were intensely euphoric. However, after we finished this short and seemingly mediocre meditation session, I felt a sense of inner calm and wellbeing I had never experienced before and have never seen since. For around 3 hours I felt completely serene – it was like I was on another level. When I got home I went out for a meal with my partner and she asked me multiple times if I was alright or if I was “on something” because apparently I didn’t seem at all like myself and seemed rather spaced out.

Now comes the problem I guess – I’m an all or nothing person. Having experienced that level of calm and pleasure, I meditated again that very night. There was a craving and an addict’s mindset kicked in. I meditated – but nothing. I didn’t even feel remotely calm, I just felt aggravated and hard done by. For the next few days, I tried meditating again and again but nothing. I think the “nothing” was because of my mindset when entering meditation. I was driven by greed and it was met with disappointment – and rightly so.

A few months later I got into a routine of going for walks on my lunchbreak at one of my previous workplaces. Similar to my current office, there was some woods virtually next door to where I worked. So, I used to spend an hour walking and exploring and once I found a route, I began repeating it ever day. However, for a long time I simply stuck to footpaths that went alongside the woods and never went in it. Until one day an inner prompt told me to walk into the woods. So, I did – and to my surprise I found several paths leading through them. As I walked through the woods, I noticed a small clearing with a felled tree and some springtime flowers immerging through the woodland floor of dead leaves and twigs. I followed another prompt of mine – which was to forgo my usual walk and to meditate there.

This became a regular routine for me. Not as regular as the walking, but still – enough to start showing some improvements. I began to notice when times were hectic or stressful at work, my lunch break meditation would help me unwind. It wasn’t a guaranteed cure as I never did it regularly enough to see daily benefits, but I appreciated the action of taking time out, away from the office and to be amongst nature.

A few years later and it seems I’ve begun a similar routine – this time I’m at a new workplace, and right next door to the office are some woods and lakes. For the past week and a half, I’ve been going to the lake every lunch break and meditating, or simply looking out across the water and being present in the moment.

What I’ve found the more I’ve meditated is that I try different kinds of meditation without relying on an audible guided meditation. Whether it’s solely noticing the sounds around me, of the wind, the birds and the distant cars. Or allowing thoughts to naturally ebb and flow without trying to attach, judge or pursue them. Another one I enjoy is to simply notice the colours and patterns that emerge in the pin pricks of colour and light I see when my eyes are closed.

The biggest improvement I found with meditation is when I began to relax the striving mindset. When I managed the expectation of what I hoped or expected to get out of meditation and simply allowed myself to be. Much like mindfulness – my initial beliefs and ideals around this practice was very different to how it ended up being and affecting my life.

I now go to the lake without a sense of needing or wanting. I’m happier and calmer in simply being away from the office and amongst nature. I’m grateful to be able to turn off one of my senses by closing my eyes and giving myself half an hour to let myself drift off. After every meditation I open my eyes and feel calmer. It lasts for several hours and I notice if something stressful is occurring at work I don’t rise to the bait. It feels as if negativity washes over me or isn’t held onto. Yet positivity feels more intense and I hold onto it for longer.

It’s a strange one. I sometimes liken it to how I used to feel after smoking a joint. Whilst I’m still stuck in my head all the time – I feel a deeper sense of contemplation and my thoughts have slowed down. The volatile and sporadic nature of my emotions has mellowed out and I genuinely feel more at ease.

All in all – I’m glad I’ve rekindled my interest in meditation and I’m finding it more enjoyable and rewarding than ever.

I think the benefits are especially noticeable now more than ever. A lot of people I work with are so amped up with constantly reading the news about current events that they seem visibly tense and anxious etc. Whereas for me, I actually feel happier and more at ease now than I have in many years.

Sorry, this turned into a mini essay. Anyway – here’s a short video I made the other day of the exact spot where I meditate on my lunch breaks

New Threads

Top Bottom