• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The hardest part of meditation...

Mindf'Elle'ness

Peace and passion for ALL
I've heard that meditation is especially useful to people on the spectrum because of our need to be out of the constant chatter we have in our heads, among other things.
At the same time, there are many reasons why we struggle with it.
What is it for you?

It’s hard to be able to completely clear you’re mind. It has took me along time to be able to do it for even short period of times. I find it often helps to do two “mindful activities” such as colouring and listening to music.

It’s hard to be able to completely clear you’re mind. It has took me along time to be able to do it for even short period of times. I find it often helps to do two “mindful activities” such as colouring and listening to music.
Have you tried to clear your mind by counting your breaths? It's easy (for me) to think of nothing else when I count each exhale, up to 10 and then start over again.
Or a new one I learned to do for deeper breathing is to say to myself while I'm breathing in "I know that I can breathe in" and then on the exhale " I know that I can breathe out". If you're saying that in your head then you will be more in the moment.
I've been told that it's virtually impossible for anyone to be focused 100% of the time, but we just bring ourselves back to the breath.

Have you tried to clear your mind by counting your breaths? It's easy (for me) to think of nothing else when I count each exhale, up to 10 and then start over again.
Or a new one I learned to do for deeper breathing is to say to myself while I'm breathing in "I know that I can breathe in" and then on the exhale " I know that I can breathe out". If you're saying that in your head then you will be more in the moment.
I've been told that it's virtually impossible for anyone to be focused 100% of the time, but we just bring ourselves back to the breath.

This is great advice. Confused - do you say l know l can breathe in first , then breathe in, or after you breathe in?

This is great advice. Confused - do you say l know l can breathe in first , then breathe in, or after you breathe in?
As you're breathing in you say it in your head.

We're thinking all the time while we're breathing. We don't stop breathing just because we have a thought - we can do both at the same time.

I have never been able to meditate. Thoughts just come and go. I don’t know if other people experience the same or not, but I don’t need any “equipment” to be stimulated. I mean, I just sit there on my bed and spend hours thinking without noticing how much time has passed.

If we look at Mindfulness Meditation as an end unto itself, it is easy to see it as just another narrow scoped practice. The truth of the matter is, that Mindfulness Meditation helps us to reprogram our minds.
The hindbrain is the reptilian complex where our fight our flight process takes place-- not conducive to happiness. M.M. effectively mutes the fight or flight response, allowing us to be able to genuinely relax.
The midbrain is the seat of emotion, it is where emotion both originates, and resonates. Emotion is a poor mistress. It leads us to act as a response to the cue of emotion-- a base and ineffective way to live and act. Emotion can feel good, but it is a mistake to believe that that means that it will lead us to act in an appropriate way. M.M. also effectively shuts down the emotional response, so that we can experience true equanimity.
The fore brain is the newest evolutionary addition, and it is the seat of reason, future planning, cognition-- the place where appropriate responses to stimuli can be properly planned, whether by single act, or algorithm. It is the place where we realize that our instinct to jump in the water to save someone is not only likely to fail, but it is likely to get us killed as well. It plans a more effective rescue, and more likely to succeed, than emotion. M.M. attenuates and activates the forebrain, making our actions and responses far more effective.
When we can meditate, counting breaths to about 40 or 50, we have reached a place where we can maintain our equanimity more or less indefinitely. At that point, we can relook at our midbrain, and activate it selectively-- only the noble, positive emotions. With the forebrain and sufficient practice, we can do this. This is the bliss that we can reside in, here and now.
The past cannot be revisited, edited, or changed. to dwell in it is suffering. The future is a fantasy played on the blank screen of the future-- a fantasy. A fantasy that we cannot even respond to, as it has not, and may never, come to pass as we imagine it will, whether it is hopeful or fearful. We only exist, have power, in the here and now. The here and now is the only place where we can experience true happiness. M.M. roots us in the here and now, the only place and moment that we truly exist. The present ever rides a razor's edge-- it cannot exist a millisecond before, or after ... NOW. And even before your words echo to silence, that past is already unattainable.
It is when we can stop obsessing about the past and the future that we can truly be happy.
When we practice Mindfulness Meditation to this end, we can reside in happiness. This is bliss.

There is no way to happiness.
Happiness IS the way.

May you be well.

sidd

Meditation always hit me up with empty your mind of all your thoughts. And of course l am thinking - all 2000 of my thoughts, like l can't even have one little thought, l mean then l just get obsessive that l think too much, then l end up destroying the whole purpose of meditation because then l seriously contemplate if you can productively meditate with a thought or two. Truly - who came up with this? Thoughts can shield us from other things we don't want to think about. Like is there a yogi who practices transmeditation of polyglot thoughts, the more the merrier and they are 102 years old and they attribute it to - beer and overthinking- just saying that mindful meditation means being in a ocean of (surprise) my thoughts to me.

Last edited:
I try to sit for 30 mins in silence and without thought, but often find my mind counting. The challenge is then to let go of counting

Most people, self included, start with the breath counting.
You can even hold one nostril shut as you breath in and change to the other held shut on the outbreath.
When first starting, it is usually hard to count to ten without losing count or starting to let your mind
wander. It all takes practice.
A goal of 30 mins. of mental silence is a good goal. Staring at a candle I find helps.
Or for me personally, a small blue light like a christmas tree bulb.
Somehow the blue gives the feeling of still point calm.
Continue to use the breath counting as you progress.

Allowing the brain to be still helps to balance the whole system. A few minutes of silence is helpful
even if most of the time as we go about everyday living, thoughts are rapid firing.

All interesting sharing, i started a course on-line and as someone often obsessive about 'how the world doesn't get me' yeah right, a bit sad as why should it Lol i'm keen to be in the here and now instead of doing exhaustive re thinking....... lost friendships, jobs,how to create predictability and maintain my need for routine and 'order', also in the midst of 'what will my world be like' due to this virus next week next month yes you've got the picture, am thinking of crating ( please don't think me wierd Lol) a personal space with things i love in sight to contemplate.Mine will be a star gazer Lilly a picture of my daughter and Grand-daughter, the colour purple and a picture of a saxaphone and one of a sculpture by Barbara Hepworth.

I have never been able to meditate. Thoughts just come and go. I don’t know if other people experience the same or not, but I don’t need any “equipment” to be stimulated. I mean, I just sit there on my bed and spend hours thinking without noticing how much time has passed.
The point of meditation is to empty your mind of thought.
Our thoughts are false. We can feel one way about something (ie: a family member) and the next day/week feel something different of them. I think it's because in that time frame our experiences have changed, so we are always in a flux of frame of mind. Don't dwell on the thoughts of the moment. If you repeat a mantra, even if sometimes you get distracted, gently bring yourself back to the mantra.
My favourite of the moment is..."I am grateful that in each moment I have the ability to change my life at will".
Even if you don't really believe this, you may come to eventually, because the mind is a powerful thing. Meditation over time is believed to rewire our neurons. Mend them.

The point of meditation is to empty your mind of thought.
Our thoughts are false. We can feel one way about something (ie: a family member) and the next day/week feel something different of them. I think it's because in that time frame our experiences have changed, so we are always in a flux of frame of mind. Don't dwell on the thoughts of the moment. If you repeat a mantra, even if sometimes you get distracted, gently bring yourself back to the mantra.
My favourite of the moment is..."I am grateful that in each moment I have the ability to change my life at will".
Even if you don't really believe this, you may come to eventually, because the mind is a powerful thing. Meditation over time is believed to rewire our neurons. Mend them.
It does mend them.
In addition, the telomeres, the very ends of our DNA, fray over time.
The length of our telomeres is the length of our life.
Mindfulness Meditation repairs the fraying of our telomeres, and lengthens our life.

The reason we count when practicing meditation, is to teach ourselves to go longer and longer without stray or intrusive thoughts.
When we are able to count to 40 or 50 without stray thoughts, we may stop counting altogether, as even the counting itself is a cognitive function, a distraction.
Our ultimate goal is to not need counting, a mantra, yantra, or any other aid.
The counting is only a training method.

For those unfamiliar, here is the basic practice, for beginners.
20200117_031218.jpg
20200117_031412.jpg
20200117_031513.jpg

It does mend them.
In addition, the telomeres, the very ends of our DNA, fray over time.
The length of our telomeres is the length of our life.
Mindfulness Meditation repairs the fraying of our telomeres, and lengthens our life.

The reason we count when practicing meditation, is to teach ourselves to go longer and longer without stray or intrusive thoughts.
When we are able to count to 40 or 50 without stray thoughts, we may stop counting altogether, as even the counting itself is a cognitive function, a distraction.
Our ultimate goal is to not need counting, a mantra, yantra, or any other aid.
The counting is only a training method.
Apparently I need lots of training, I have the attention span of a goldfish

Apparently I need lots of training, I have the attention span of a goldfish
It is not so helpful, to look at M.M. Time as "other time".
It is eventually our goal to meditate at all times, not just "on the cushion".
And so, part of the practice is necessarily training ourselves to carry that meditative state of mind into our daily lives.

It surprises me, the incomplete instructions, portending to teach meditation.

Many of those "little portions" help, but, none of them are the true, end goal, with all of its benefits...

New Threads

Top Bottom