• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Four 4's Game

71 is such a messy number, so I cheated and looked online for the answer to 71. And boy- y'all have your work cut out for you.

Hint..... think decimals.
Using the rules from the Wikipedia page, I can do it using only three fours. We call that a "triad."

@Nervous Rex has a more streamlined representation of 20 than mine in the previous post.

Last edited:
Using the rules from the Wikipedia page, I can do it using only three fours. We call that a "triad."

@Nervous Rex has a more streamlined representation of 20 than mine in the previous post.

@Yeshuasdaughter, for full disclosure, after I started this thread, I wrote a program to find solutions for me. It found ways to use four 4's to make every number up to 18,592. Out of the numbers from 0 to 100,000, it found solutions for all but 1,350 of them.

My program found this way of producing 20: 20 = (√(4'%))', but @Crossbreed found that it could be written more simply as: √(4'%')

For this game, I still find solutions on my own. After I post a solution, I usually check my program to see if it did better.

I can do 71 with:

71 = 4! * √!4 - 4/4 Basic (a tetrad, which uses all four 4's)
71 = 4! * √!4 - !√4 + !!√4 fancy (a triad, which only needs 3 fours)

72 = 4! + 4! + (√!4)! x 4, basic
72 = 4! x √!4 x 4/4, fancy

72 = 44 + 4! + 4, extra credit ;)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom