• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Extrovert Aspie

My pleasure Vanilla :)

It's one facet of my research as the link/correllation between AS and introversion couldn't be ignored, much like with the other topics in my field of interest. I only wish I had the ability to craft a more informative post today. They and my other conditions of research link together in many different connections. It's sort of one of my theses.

*is motivated much like Hippocrates*

Last edited:
I'm at work so ask my buddy -

Do I talk a lot?
Yep

Do I interrupt a lot?
Yep

Do I do weird stuff?
Not really. The way you check your gear is funny, talking to it all and stuff.

You know I'm an aspie?
So what. **** is a Moslem and **** is a Jehovah's Witness. I don't care what you worship.

Gave up at that point :D
This is hilarious.

Regarding you village idiot thoughts, I think there is a huge difference between being friendly and talking to everyone, as long as you don't hold long monologues about rocket science with each person that passes you, I'm pretty sure they just enjoy you for who you are.

Hey everyone :)

Just wanted to share a few things with you, regarding this topic. Once again I'm fishing for any potential extroverted Aspies out there.

If you're thinking that the term "extroverted Aspie" seems like a contradiction to you, you're probably not the only one. I have come to learn though, that I myself am just that; at least, compared to the common idea of what an Aspie is. When compared to your typical NT, I can still come across as fairly cold, or weird, but am much more open to conversations, getting involved with people, and loving the attention I can get from others.

If there are any other extroverted Aspies out there, feel free to share your stories! I've also included an interesting article below, as well as my latest blog post "The Social Experiment" (for those of you who are interested in where I disappear to from time to time).

The Extrovert Aspie

I’m an extrovert Aspie. You’re a what now? Yes, you read it correctly, I’m an extrovert Aspie.

Now I can see you all frowning at your screens. Isn’t autism supposed to be all about being shy, and not talking to others and such? Indeed the common belief is that women with Asperger’s Syndrome tend to keep to themselves, only speak when spoken to, and are more observers than participants.

So how does this work when you have a very outgoing personality? I will make a list of things that might help you understand…

To read more from this source:
The extrovert Aspie

Also a good read "Introverted vs. Extroverted":
Autistic introversion vs autistic extroversion

If you're interested, you can also read up on my latest blog post, the "Social Experiment":
The Social Experiment | AspiesCentral.com

I am definitely an extroverted aspie/aut! And I actually do okay socially and in crowds (but especially on a dance floor as I can dance for some reason!). I still have no idea what on earth is going on around me with many NTs though. And sensory issues are also a barrier to doing as much as I might like. Humans are my special interest. My first word was "beeble" (people).

I am definitely an extroverted aspie/aut! And I actually do okay socially and in crowds (but especially on a dance floor as I can dance for some reason!). I still have no idea what on earth is going on around me with many NTs though. And sensory issues are also a barrier to doing as much as I might like. Humans are my special interest. My first word was "beeble" (people).
You're doing better than me then, ha, I can't dance at all (not in any way anyway that would be considered dancing) :p

I tend to be 2-6 and 9 I think. Maybe many years ago, I was not many of those. I am much more of an introvert overall. Life has forced me to "come out of my shell more" but in cautious, well-intentioned calculating ways sometimes to make my survival easier and more "enjoyable."

I feel like I am the same way. I will reciprocate a conversation but never start one. Starting conversations with people that I am not 100% positive that they are my friend is very difficult and I get anxious and the whole conversation falls short. I want friends and to be liked yet I make no effort to go after people. Night now as we speak I am sitting along at a lunch table at work I'm listening to my music and on Aspie central. Two tables in front of me are my co-workers and all of them have been friendly to me but because they haven't invited me to sit with them so I won't. I'm too scared.

You're doing better than me then, ha, I can't dance at all (not in any way anyway that would be considered dancing) :p

The snobs of society that thought dancing should be a thing need to realize that some of us can barely walk without tripping on our own feet damnit!

The snobs of society that thought dancing should be a thing need to realize that some of us can barely walk without tripping on our own feet damnit!
Perhaps, though I do wish I could dance better. I once took up dance lessons, in an attempt to better myself, but stopped going to classes just before my trip overseas. I haven't been back since, as the prices are a bit steep for me right now. I did enjoy it, though wouldn't consider myself good :p

Extroverted Aspie reporting for duty ma'am.
I will answer any questions anybody might have about the subject as good as I am able to.

Welcome aboard :)

I read your conversation with icesykal on your "louder than prouder" post; perhaps you could start by sharing your experiences with everyone.

We have a few good posts here, if you're interested in reading a few of the opinions which have been contributed. I also stumbled across an interesting term, the "Ambivert", while debating this topic, which might interest you:

I did a little bit of googling (I know it's not very official, but it will have to do for now). This sounds like it more accurately describes me:

As humans we tend to think in very black and white terms, but as writers and artists, we are wise to remember that people have many dimensions. What we see is not necessarily true, especially when it comes to labeling others as “introvert” or “extrovert.”

What Does It REALLY Mean to Be an Extrovert or Introvert?

Introversion and extroversion are commonly misunderstood. Just because someone is shy, doesn’t mean she’s an introvert. Someone who is bubbly, gregarious and the life of the party can, in reality, be an introvert. The difference between introverts and extroverts is simply this:

Where do we gain or lose energy?

Introverts are drained by people and need alone time to recharge.

Extroverts are drained by too much time alone. They need human interaction to recharge.

Meet the Ambivert

Many people fall into what is called an ambivert, meaning they exhibit traits of both. If you want to learn if you might be an ambivert, there’s a cool test here.

Source: The Myth About Introverts & Extroverts–Could You Be an Ambivert? | Kristen Lamb's Blog

I'm an extrovert for about the first 5 minutes. I can be people's best friend for the first 5 minutes and then they find out is just a rehearsed small talk session. I come off as active but odd.

If it's a cab driver or someone else I know I'm not going to be stuck with for more than a few minutes, I'm fine. Any longer than that and my Aspieness becomes obvious and people lose interest in me - which is okay because people bore me and I can't wait to be back by myself.

I like people (as do most people) but in the beginning I couldn't cope with their unpredictable erratic behavior. My interactions with people kept going sideways but I could not tell why (Checked out the featured article and 5 years ago I would tick all 9 boxes). Social interactions became a enigma to me, a enigma which to this days fuels my obsession about human psychology, and non-verbal communication.
So i started reading, but quickly I realized that I had to test new behavior, like mimics and intonation of voice. But at first I was way to scared to try things out on people, it felt like poking a sleeping grizzly bear. So the only reasonable thing to do was to learn Krav Maga, in retrospect it seems a bit excessive, but at the time people would explode over nothing, at least in my view.
So I started to experiment with small things, in these trivial everyday interactions, kept reading and kept practicing. So today most people don't realize unless the relationship gets closer, but when it does things start to get real tricky real fast, and I do not yet posses the skills to handle these interactions the way I would like to.

MB

PS I can't dance and I can't talk, the only thing about me is the way I walk - Genesis

I like people (as do most people) but in the beginning I couldn't cope with their unpredictable erratic behavior. My interactions with people kept going sideways but I could not tell why (Checked out the featured article and 5 years ago I would tick all 9 boxes). Social interactions became a enigma to me, a enigma which to this days fuels my obsession about human psychology, and non-verbal communication.
So i started reading, but quickly I realized that I had to test new behavior, like mimics and intonation of voice. But at first I was way to scared to try things out on people, it felt like poking a sleeping grizzly bear. So the only reasonable thing to do was to learn Krav Maga, in retrospect it seems a bit excessive, but at the time people would explode over nothing, at least in my view.
So I started to experiment with small things, in these trivial everyday interactions, kept reading and kept practicing. So today most people don't realize unless the relationship gets closer, but when it does things start to get real tricky real fast, and I do not yet posses the skills to handle these interactions the way I would like to.

MB

PS I can't dance and I can't talk, the only thing about me is the way I walk - Genesis
I went through a very similar "trials and error" kind of testing, though didn't do anything as extreme as Krav Maga, haha (I had to look that up to see what it was). I still do these tests on a regular basis, in order to fine tune it, but can sometimes still miss the point, and fall short. Luckily, I'm much more confident now, and no longer feel like I'm "poking a sleeping grizzly bear". :p

MB

As a die hard introvert I find mimic to be more for sheople, the herd animals of our species..... I am the square peg and the world is the round hole, I will never fit in, but I am okay with it.

As a die hard introvert I find mimic to be more for sheople, the herd animals of our species..... I am the square peg and the world is the round hole, I will never fit in, but I am okay with it.
I like to think of it more like going undercover; almost like inserting myself as a mole, obtaining intelligence, then escaping (hopefully without setting off the alarms). I get a real rush when I somehow make it out alive. Of course, I don't see other people as the enemy, but it's fun to pretend :p

I like to think of it more like going undercover; almost like inserting myself as a mole, obtaining intelligence, then escaping (hopefully without setting off the alarms). I get a real rush when I somehow make it out alive. Of course, I don't see other people as the enemy, but it's fun to pretend :p
But I do not like stealth games, I prefer to go in with heavy armor and a gatling cannon already spinning waiting to spit doom upon them (video games only, I do not actually have armor and a gatling gun, yet)

Well, I'm certainly a webtrovert, but not an extrovert. In the outside world, every time that I speak, I have knots in my stomach on how others may judge my statements. Even if their external replies are nice, I'm worried of what they may be saying internally.

New Threads

Top Bottom