• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The A bomb

Alan tm

On a few occasions I've had people suddenly say
Wow ... your autistic...or you sound autistic...or your aspergers..
Normally people I date or their close friends.

It seems to come out of the blue and the conversation isn't even going that way.

I'e just had it happen again with my partner.
I don' broadcast what I think I've learnt best say nothing.
I just got sent a video link saying this is you , I get it now .

But most upsetting I looked at this video and I really don't think it's me at all.
There was a section where the partner felt isolated because of the person.
That quite hurt .

Bit sad about the whole thing .

Last edited:
I get you. I often think I am glad I came up during a time when no one knew about HF autism, Aspergers, etc. We were called at best 'different' and otherwise 'strange' or 'weird'. You were being called abnormal but it left things more open. The label 'autistic' carrys more stereotyping and stigma I think.

I'm no fan of the NT lable thats the other way that's new to me .
Did I really need a wall setting up that's called NT ?
Like it's a goal to be ?

It's very us and them . I'm really trying not to have a divide .
I get by as quirky and creative.

NT sounds more scary

It could just be a thing people want to get put of the way for the sake of their curiosity; you know how humans are fascinated by the novel, and people who think in varying degrees of difference to most people are a pretty novel thing. If it's uncomfortable or you don't like talking about it, you could firmly but politely state your views on it and ask that they not bring it up (maybe under special circumstances, depending on you). If they make fun of you for it them maybe consider distancing yourself from them, or at least, that's my two cents( (huh, using that saying a lot on this site).

Also, my personal reply to people who say something about how weird I am is the following: "normalcy is boring." Though obviously, some people prefer boring.
Regardless, quirky and creative is fun~, so you do you I say.

I' just alarmed that I'm sending out some signal that is even raising this reaction.
I feel I'm very undercover, so I thought.

I've had two coworkers who were always joking around with me about how I was acting autistic. I would reply, laughing, "that's because I totally am."

Until this day I don't know if they ever realized I wasn't actually joking. It felt pretty liberating to me though, because I got to poke fun at some of my roadblocks.

New Threads

Top Bottom