• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The 4th of July

I get tomorrow off from work, but the 4th of July for me is: Studying the Linux Kernel with Cscope Day to avoid Traffic and Roadside Sobriety Tests Day. Though I will be doing something on the 5th of July, which for me is Network Forensics and Lockpicking Day.

7th of July is: Go Get a Six Pack of IPA and some Tacos Day.

Last edited:
upload_2018-7-4_8-40-35.png

pyrotechnics
The use of military fireworks in elaborate celebrations of war and peace is an ancient Chinese custom, but our term for the making and launching of fireworks is a product of the 17th and 18th centuries. Pyrotechnics and the earlier adjective pyrotechnic derive via French from the Greek nouns pyr ("fire") and techne ("art"). In pyr one can see such fiery relatives as pyromania, the term for an irresistible impulse to start fires, as well as pyrite, the mineral also known as fool's gold. (That word also has an obsolete meaning, in the form pyrites, referring to a stone used for striking fire.) Like fireworks, pyrotechnics also has an extended figurative usage, referring to any kind of dazzling display or performance.

from Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day

I'll be working on that night, waking up to loud booms and pops and a gunshot or two. OK, I'm hoping I don't wake up to the last, but around here the 4th is a time for celebration, cookouts and craziness. I can remember the time I almost split my finger in two fooling around with firecrackers :eek:

History lesson or not, that's what people associate it with, and time spent with family and friends is never time wasted in my honest opinion.

I heard a fire cracker across the street. I'm not happy now. :mad:
I’m not surprised.
I couldn’t sleep last night cause the fireworks in my neighborhood were crazy. I heard one that sounded like a machine gun going off down the street. I finally went to sleep at 2:00 am.

The pop country blasting... I almost forgot about that x_x.
Give me some Hank 3 instead if country is mandatory.

Lol you'll think you got it bad? My whole neighborhood shoots off fireworks until midnight and we have a golf course near us that does a 40 minute firework show lol

I'll be avoiding people as usual. Completely cutting my family out of the picture has been the best move I've made in a long time.

Add me to the cutting my family out of the picture team. The itsy bitsy teensy wheensy bits of them that I miss every now and then don't even come close to making up for all the drama and negativity I had to deal with before I drew a line and put me and my sons on one side of it and the rest of them on the other.

I live in a part of California that has a VERY strict line between "legal" and "illegal" fireworks. Basically, any firework not approved by the state govt is illegal, and the cops LOVE to beat the bushes at this time of the year to arrest people selling unapproved fireworks. They usually don't arrest more than a half dozen people, but the local media here eats it up because not much else newsworthy goes on right now.

Of course, that doesn't stop people from procuring unapproved fireworks. I live in an area of one acre lots and people here set off all sorts of crazy stuff once the sun sets around 8:30 pm. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM for several hours. I'm used to it, but dozens of dogs wind up at the county animal shelter every year because they hear that stuff and just run and run and run trying to escape, then the next morning they're in a strange place they don't know and wander until animal control grabs them. It's the worst part of the whole thing.

When I was a kid my folks would take me to official fireworks shows, they were really nice in the 80s but today they're nightmares with drunk people fighting while bottom-of-the-barrel local country music bands try to perform over the racket. Then the display lasts 30 minutes and then everybody leaves at the same time and traffic slows to a crawl. People throw fireworks from their cars, too. So now I just stay home while the cherry bombs go off. I don't have much family left alive, so no family celebrations now.

Our neighbor got mad at us for lighting off some small fireworks, so they called the cops lol yes, fireworks are illegal where I live but every person and their mother shoots off fireworks, and of course they told us to stop.... but literally the cops don’t exactly care because we’ve been shooting fireworks here for 10 years now lol anyways, here’s a few videos of a few fireworks we shot. Obviously I didn’t record all of them, but I still captured some good ones!

A lot of people here don't like fireworks because of the noise, but I love to watch them - at a distance, with earplugs in if necessary. It's the small firecrackers that get me, the kind that all the local kids have and they set them off in the street, practically under your feet - hate them.

Saw maybe about 100 displays, flying above new york
Orange horizon, flashes of lightning in the distance.
So many going off simultaneously.

As I lifted above the clouds could still see the odd flash ,as orange faded to black,
The horizon lit again with the silver of sheet lightning .

Boring :)

The whole sky was flashing through out the night. It was really awesome to see!

Saw maybe about 100 displays, flying above new york
Orange horizon, flashes of lightning in the distance.
So many going off simultaneously.

As I lifted above the clouds could still see the odd flash ,as orange faded to black,
The horizon lit again with the silver of sheet lightning .

Boring :)

Illegal fireworks started a grass fire in a local ghetto last night. A local TV station posted a video showing the fire being fought while bottle rockets go off from 2 or 3 different locations in the background. Really strange.

New Threads

Top Bottom