• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The 4th of July

Its_Me_Jackie

Are any of you'll doing anything for the 4th of July? Do you guys enjoy the fireworks or is the noise too much?

We're having a cookout & shooting fireworks, and loud noises never have bothered me so i enjoy the fireworks!

I'll be avoiding people as usual. Completely cutting my family out of the picture has been the best move I've made in a long time.

Also, paid holiday from work. And that's always nice.

When you live in the UK the 4th July means nothing, but I struggle to understand why people celebrate special days anyway, many are celebrated due to media hype and marketing as well as other people stating that you must celebrate it so everyone seems to go along with it.

Do many people actually really care about the history behind Independence Day? Perhaps a few do. Okay do many people in England that now go out celebrating St. Patrick's Day by getting drunk actually care about St. Patrick himself or the meaning behind the day? No and it never used to be celebrated in England, it was cleverly marketed by Guinness and now it's become a much bigger day in England than St. George's Day even though St. Patrick's Day is related to Ireland while St. George's Day that's related to England is usually forgotten completely.

Last edited:
I don’t do anything like a cookout or shoot fireworks, better for me to stay away from people and have my own fun. I do have my own show of fireworks in my neighborhood that have started since last night. They usually don’t end until the two days after the fourth. I have two dogs that are usually in the backyard but during this time of year I keep them in the house since one of them tore up part of my back door a couple years ago. The noise does not scare me however we had a house fire just down our street and that’s the only thing that scares me a little bit.

1 Cookout.
Count me in.
I'll take my burger rare too please :p

2 Fireworks.
Amateur Pyrotechnician.
Still got all of my fingers, but my hearing is shot :p

The Fourth of July is the day we in the states celebrate our break from an oppressive government :cool:

It wasn't the exact day, but it's the one that got chosen to celebrate it.

Here's the story that explains it.

http://time.com/4838700/americas-real-independence-day/

I'm a patriot that flies my flag with pride and believes in my country.
I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Happy Fourth of July!

Do many people actually really care about the history behind Independence Day?

Absolutely! It's the day America became AMERICA!!!! It is the celebration of the inauguration of democracy in the modern world. We don't celebrate because of clever marketing. We celebrate because we are free to do so..

1 Cookout.
Count me in.
I'll take my burger rare too please :p

2 Fireworks.
Amateur Pyrotechnician.
Still got all of my fingers, but my hearing is shot :p

The Fourth of July is the day we in the states celebrate our break from an oppressive government :cool:

It wasn't the exact day, but it's the one that got chosen to celebrate it.

Here's the story that explains it.

http://time.com/4838700/americas-real-independence-day/

I'm a patriot that flies my flag with pride and believes in my country.
I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Happy Fourth of July!
It might be your country now since you were born there and you had no control of what happened before you were born, but it was the native American's country and it was stolen by settlers who also persecuted them. We see so many cowboys and Indian's movies where the Indians are portrayed as the bad guys, but they were just trying to defend their land and culture from the invaders. It doesn't matter what poppycock legal documents were drawn to say it wasn't their land, they were there first and it's no wonder there was conflict.

Native Americans are also often wrongfully portrayed as primitive, but in some ways they were and some still are more advanced, they were in touch with spirit and they were at harmony with the environment, something most of modern society has very sadly lost.

You say you celebrate a break from an oppressive government, but was it really any better and would it be any better now many years on, obviously Britain is nothing like it was back then? It wasn't exactly like suddenly everything was perfect, some of America later became virtually lawless and starting in 1861 was the American Civil War.

Last edited:
I will be working this 4th of July. It will likely be a CRAZY day since I work in a grocery store.

Terrified of the fireworks. I'll be hiding in the closet with earplugs and maybe some pudding.

It might be your country now since you were born there and you had no control of what happened before you were born, but it was the native American's country and it was stolen by settlers who also persecuted them. We see so many cowboys and Indian's movies where the Indians are portrayed as the bad guys, but they were just trying to defend their land and culture from the invaders. It doesn't matter what poppycock legal documents were drawn to say it wasn't their land, they were there first and it's no wonder there was conflict.

Native Americans are also often wrongfully portrayed as primitive, but in some ways they were and some still are more advanced, they were in touch with spirit and they were at harmony with the environment, something most of modern society has very sadly lost.

You say you celebrate a break from an oppressive government, but was it really any better and would it be any better now many years on, obviously Britain is nothing like it was back then? It wasn't exactly like suddenly everything was perfect, some of America later became virtually lawless and starting in 1861 was the American Civil War.
You left out a whole bunch of the story, but I'm sure that others won't need the gaps filled in.

I think we should have fought the British and turned ourselves over to the control of Iceland. Is it too late for that? Or maybe Greenland.

There will be a family cookout at my uncle's house. The 4th is when family in Oregon and California come up here. Later will be on a boat watching the fireworks show in the bay.

I am going to work on the 4th. My main customer is a 24/7 operation and there are less people in the plant on major holidays. That makes it easier for me work on equipment that needs my attention. Besides, it is always better with less people around.

I could go outside and walk to a high bluff and see multiple displays some miles away, but usually just watch them on local television.

Of course the use of personal fireworks here is strictly illegal given the fire exposure in the desert. Too much sagebrush and cheat grass that is so combustible. :eek:

I don't live in the US, so no 4th July celebrations. I don't celebrate public holidays, I just treat them like any other day. I usually work, because my students are in another country and don't celebrate the holiday, so it's business as usual with the added annoyance of the crowds in the town centre, extra traffic and all shops shut.

I could go outside and walk to a high bluff and see multiple displays some miles away, but usually just watch them on local television.

Of course the use of personal fireworks here is strictly illegal given the fire exposure in the desert. Too much sagebrush and cheat grass that is so combustible. :eek:
I've never thought about moving to Nevada before but now I'm going to start thinking about it every 4th. Are those restrictions state wide?

It'll just be a normal Wednesday to me, got a couple of meetings in the morning, then back home for lunch, might go swimming in afternoon, then Pub quiz at night.

As a Brit, I'll be having momentary bouts of sobbing, punching walls and burning American flags.

I find it strange that this is the only(?) occasion of Americans that they use the term, "4th of July" when you lot always have you dates the other way round, MM/DD/YYYY. Unlike most of the rest of the world's DD/MM/YYYY. Strange. There's almost something incredibly.....BRITISH about it....

;)

Absolutely! It's the day America became AMERICA!!!! It is the celebration of the inauguration of democracy in the modern world. We don't celebrate because of clever marketing. We celebrate because we are free to do so..
I'd say a lot more if it was in the right section, so I will have to skate around what I really want to say. Britain now has a similar perception of democracy and freedom, yet independence from the British Empire is celebrated as freedom. In this case people are educated to celebrate the 4th July from childhood to keep the tradition alive throughout generations, the media also play it's role in reminding people and of course products for the occasion are marketed. The leaders want people to support the country and accept them to keep order plus control, a "good" way of achieving this is to create patriotism and days like the 4th July are used as a catalyst for it, it also means people are more willing to stand by their country in times of war, trusting their leaders no matter if it's right or wrong.

Last edited:
As a Brit, I'll be having momentary bouts of sobbing, punching walls and burning American flags.

I find it strange that this is the only(?) occasion of Americans that they use the term, "4th of July" when you lot always have you dates the other way round, MM/DD/YYYY. Unlike most of the rest of the world's DD/MM/YYYY. Strange. There's almost something incredibly.....BRITISH about it....

;)

Have a look at this!.

New Threads

Top Bottom