• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Telling my support worker i'm gay !

SPINDLESHANKS

I've decided i feel brave enough to tell my support worker i'm gay on our next meeting and hopefully this will turn out to be a positive move , could be disastrous but sometimes you have to take a gamble and be honest no matter what the outcome might be......

There is less and less prejudice against people for their S. orientation, so I wouldn't be worried about it from that aspect. However, it might be quite possible that he/she doesn't really understand what it's like, even if he/she means well; sometimes telling someone something is disappointing because of that: they still like you, but don't understand in the way that one was hoping they would understand.

My question is why do you feel this is something that he needs to know about you? Personally, I think my sexuality is my own business and I can't see where it would be necessary to bring it up. Do you think that this will help him understand you?

It is true that there is a lot less discrimination for sexual orientation than there used to be--however, that is not always true of everywhere and every situation. It is one thing to be gay in Diversity City than to be gay in Redneck Acres Trailer Park and surroundings. Do you know what your support worker's views on homosexuality are? I'd feel them out before making any kind of announcement that could possibly jeopardize your standing with him.

I've decided i'm only going to tell him if the situation arises where i need to otherwise i won't do anything.....

That's probably the way to do it. Most people I interact with don't know that I'm gay because there usually isn't a situation where that is relevant.

I hardly tell anyone I'm bi... I feel that when the right time comes along, I'll tell them. Otherwise, my sexual orientation is my own business.

Good luck my friend. I find it unfortunate that there even needs to be discussion about this. It means that there are still people that place less value on others for anything. Be confident and comfortable just as you are and know that anyone who has a problem with that, really has a problem, not you. I personally feel sorry for people who judge others, even though it is difficult because they usually come off as angry and offensive.

I'm already comfortable. Having Asperger's and being bisexual are two things I love about myself. I feel sorry for judgmental people too. They just need to find someone else to judge, not me. I don't care if I don't look attractive or that I wear glasses all the time. The personality is what counts in the end.

New Threads

Top Bottom