• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Subtyping the Autism Spectrum Disorder

thank you!
im sorry, I may have some problems with text perception and analysis, so I have to clarify smth. in brief, talking about the PDD-NOS you were trying to say that those individuals who seemed too impaired for AS-1 were categorised as PDD-NOS in past but nowadays they are more likely to be diagnosed with AS-2 or even AS-3?

That was not what I was saying - it's not possible to draw such an inference from the article, whether in general, or specific to those diagnosed at that clinic.

The reason is because while they explained that someone who met the criteria for both AS and ASD would be given a diagnosis of ASD, they did not explain what diagnosis would be given if someone met the diagnosis for both AS and PDD-NOS, and as I noted, the percentage of PDD-NOS persons in their study is, in my experience, highly unusual.

I had to back away from trying to understand all the subclasses and learn how to be happy with the simplicity of my diagnosis. I stopped looking for the definitive answer when all that seemed to return was confusion. I am now happy with where I'm at and understanding the diagnosis I've been given. The rest is up to me. :)

It seems like plenty of people are diagnosed with Asperger's/level 1 and aren't doing well. In medicine, disorders that are descirbed as "mild" are often crippling. They are labelled as "mild" just because they don't cause total lack of function - it doesn't mean this person will find it easy or even possible to cope.

I'm level 1 and couldn't deny that, but I have anxiety and ADHD too so that can affect the way I cope. I have anxieties about going out in public alone (agoraphobia), although I am capable of doing it if I have to.

;) and I am a big ball of all kind of mess

doing my best to get thru every day without disaster

And ever so grateful to find all of you here in acceptance mode
not judging
xoxo

New Threads

Top Bottom