• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Struggles In My Job Search

Andrew206

I’m currently working in a food service job, but would like a new job. I’ve filled out many applications, mostly with the service industry (retail and restaurants). Most of them send me an automated rejection notice. But some of them invite me in for an interview, and after my interview, I either get a rejection or never hear from them again. I really want to get a job as soon as possible, but I’m looking for a quiet environment if possible. I also want some accommodations. I’m not sure what I should do. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Keep applying, but maybe look at different sorts of jobs. I can tell you, society is starting to open up again and companies are rehiring - and many of them are having trouble filling their vacancies. Don't overlook avenues of hiring you haven't been using. For instance, job fairs and online resume sites such as Monster or Indeed.

The fact you are getting interviews is a positive sign, you will not be a perfect fit for every job you apply for

And, yes, just keep trying

And if you are getting interviews, maybe look up some tutorials on how to improve on your interview skills

And just be persistent, I have found the Indeed website to be very good, as I am looking for work right now as well

:)

Hi Andrew!

As Sherlock noted, the fact that you are getting responses, especially given that the service industry as a whole is still dealing with some challenges, is a good sign. Of course, one of the big mysteries of a job search is we often don't know why an interview didn't lead to a job offer, but there's a number of no-fault reasons including:

1) Position no longer needed
2) You performed well, but there was a more experienced or suitable candidate
3) They didn't actually have a position right now, and just wanted to get some interviews done to create a pool of pre-assessed candidates to draw from down the road

For autistic individuals, affinity bias, or open ended questions can be problematic. If you check out the link in my signature it goes to a free 3-4 hour online course from UBC on employment and autism which you may find interesting.

I'm going to provide some links here you may wish to review:
https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2021/02/18/avanade-autism-job-candidates.html
https://depts.washington.edu/uwauti...ed-Adult-Autism-Resources-handout-12.2020.pdf

It may not always be something that you are doing wrong. I interviewed for my current position a few years before I eventually started working for them. The guy that they hired back then was probably over qualified and so I didn't get the position, a few years later I reapplied and got the position.

I will also add if you are reasonably content in your current position to make sure that you are applying for jobs that you really suit you better. And to spend some time reflecting on what that is (nothing wrong with trying something new if you are in a position to do so though).

Keep applying, but maybe look at different sorts of jobs. I can tell you, society is starting to open up again and companies are rehiring - and many of them are having trouble filling their vacancies. Don't overlook avenues of hiring you haven't been using. For instance, job fairs and online resume sites such as Monster or Indeed.
I've used Monster and Indeed plenty of times, but nothing so far. I'm revising my resume as needed on those sites.

I don't know of any in-person job fairs at the moment. Are there any virtual job fairs?

Best thing may be- somebody you know would help you with an entry level and bring you in. As opposed to blindly applying for positions having way to much competition.

Best thing may be- somebody you know would help you with an entry level and bring you in. As opposed to blindly applying for positions having way to much competition.
I agree with you. I think this is the best approach for me.

Being you're in the US, there are probably autistic specific organizations that can help you find a good fit. Depending on the organization, some paperwork may be necessary for your "label".

Being you're in the US, there are probably autistic specific organizations that can help you find a good fit. Depending on the organization, some paperwork may be necessary for your "label".
I've found a few resources, but some of them have waitlists. All of them want paperwork, perhaps recent.

I've found a few resources, but some of them have waitlists. All of them want paperwork, perhaps recent.

If you want, if you are open to moving, and if you feel comfortable with it, you can PM me for a video chat. After the video chat, I can offer you a few sources and refer you myself to where I work. Otherwise, good luck!

If you want, if you are open to moving, and if you feel comfortable with it, you can PM me for a video chat. After the video chat, I can offer you a few sources and refer you myself to where I work. Otherwise, good luck!
I prefer not to move.

New Threads

Top Bottom