• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Straightedge

I've never smoked because the smell is disgusting, I don't even want to stand near someone who has been smoking let alone actually do it myself. I've always thought it was a vile habit, and kind of stupid... why would you choose to do something that causes cancer? Makes no sense to me.

I've never done drugs because... well I've just never wanted to. I have no curiosity to find out what it feels like, and no one I knew as a teenager did drugs aside for my sister so there was no peer pressure to try it during my more impressionable years.

I don't drink because I don't see the point. I have yet to find an alcoholic drink that I like the taste of (I'm always happy to try), so the only reason I would drink would be for the express purpose of getting drunk... for which I have no reason. I used to drink for that purpose in my first year of uni when I discovered that I love going dancing in clubs and thought from others examples that drinking is a necessary part of that. I later discovered that I have just as much fun dancing sober. Haven't drunk since. It's nothing to do with particularly needing to be in control or anything, I just won't drink something I hate the taste of if it doesn't improve my enjoyment in any way (which it doesn't).

Maybe if I wasn't an aspie I'd be more worried about fitting in and so would drink anyway. People certainly find it weird that I don't drink and like interrogating me about it (apparently '' it tastes nasty'' isn't a good enough excuse :expressionless:) and some people are infuriatingly persistent in trying to get to have ''just one drink'' *sigh*
I know what you mean about being interrogated. When people learn someone doesn't drink it's as if it's the first time they've ever heard of such a thing. Some people would ask me about it for years like they're still trying to figure out my secret reasons for this mysterious behaviour.

Has anyone tried carrying a half-full glass of apple-juice around? I'm told people won't ask you if you want a drink, since it looks like (certain kinds of) beer.

Apple juice, or apple juice that has been warmed with cinnamon in it to make it darker, more amber then, chilled again is a perfect replacement for either a beer, or a whiskey based drink. Use either and no one will ask.

Lemon-lime soda with a twist of lime or lemon added passes for gin and tonic.

Grapefruit soda with a couple of mint leaves will pass as a mint julep.

Orange juice and either pomegranate juice or grenadine syrup is a virgin tequila sunrise.

All sorts of drinks you can do that mimic alcoholic drinks if you don't drink and, such drinks are being served and, you need to look as if you are fitting in nicely.

As for the "it tastes nasty" reason, I understand people not accepting that. Every drink tastes different, different mixers, different kinds of alcohol and some don't have an alcohol bite at all. Kahlua and cream or Mudslides taste more like chocolate milk, or coffee milk. Long Island Iced Tea packs a serious amount of alcohol but, surprisingly, if mixed properly, tasted like sweetened iced tea with a hit of lemon in it, not alcohol.

I will drink a beer now and then, if it's hot weather and, I've been outside and gotten all hot a sweaty, then a cold beer tastes good. (I know water is far better for hydration.) In general I prefer mixed drinks over beer, or straight shots of a few liquors.

Apple juice, or apple juice that has been warmed with cinnamon in it to make it darker, more amber then, chilled again is a perfect replacement for either a beer, or a whiskey based drink. Use either and no one will ask.

Orange juice and either pomegranate juice or grenadine syrup is a virgin tequila sunrise.

All sorts of drinks you can do that mimic alcoholic drinks if you don't drink and, such drinks are being served and, you need to look as if you are fitting in nicely.

I'm going to burn these into my memory, especially the bit about cinnamon, since it goes so well with apple.

As for the "it tastes nasty" reason, I understand people not accepting that. Every drink tastes different, different mixers, different kinds of alcohol and some don't have an alcohol bite at all. Kahlua and cream or Mudslides taste more like chocolate milk, or coffee milk. Long Island Iced Tea packs a serious amount of alcohol but, surprisingly, if mixed properly, tasted like sweetened iced tea with a hit of lemon in it, not alcohol.

I will drink a beer now and then, if it's hot weather and, I've been outside and gotten all hot a sweaty, then a cold beer tastes good. (I know water is far better for hydration.) In general I prefer mixed drinks over beer, or straight shots of a few liquors.

I've never tried using apple juice to look like beer, great idea! Normally when people are drinking mixers I just have orange juice and pretend there's vodka in it (screwdrivers were my drink of choice back in my early clubbing days). As for some not having an alcohol bite, people say the same about the use of alcohol in cooking, but I can still taste it when there's wine in my bolognese ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom