• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Straightedge

I can't stand drinking. If I smoke weed daily, I tend to function better, actually. But if I don't do it daily, it makes me extremely paranoid when I do smoke. I haven't smoked in quite a while and that's perfectly okay with me. I've done psychedelics a few times and the experience was amazing.

But at the moment I'm straightedge.

Come and move down a bit more South less floods down here. I'm from Leeds have you been to Leeds? York is my favourite place I like the fact that Vikings lived there.

Me and the wife love it here in Durham it's such a chilled yet vibrant city with great culture. I've been to Leeds a few times to the armoires and there used to be a really cool shop there that sold great metal CDs called hellvetta or something like that and a club called the cockpit / however I'm talking a good few years ago now

Well as a kid I was very anti drink/drugs because I saw how damaging they were to my family and other kids from my school and thought "Nope, I want nothing to do with this!" I've listened to punk & hardcore from an early age (the term Straight Edge comes from a Minor Threat song, but it was never meant as a set of rules or movement, just Ian expressing his desire to not get wasted and live with a clear mind) I considered myself Straight Edge but I hadn't really tried anything at that point.

But then I tried alcohol and it was fun for a while in moderation, but it went from a recreational thing to a real problem for a few years, so I quit cold turkey nearly 2 years ago and officially declared myself Straight Edge. I've never smoked or done any other drugs though, unless you count being high on second hand weed smoke at shows.

I never want to drink alcohol again to be honest, constant sobriety is both a blessing and a curse because there is no "Off" switch and that can be very scary at times but for me it's a small price to pay for being healthy and having a clear mind. I would be lying if I said i didn't miss it sometimes but then I think about the devastating effect it had on my life and i snap out of it!

There's no punk/hardcore scene where I am because it's the middle of nowhere so I guess I'm a one person straight edge crew! One thing I don't like about SxE and hardcore is the elitism and violent attitudes that some edge people stereotypically have, but I'm all about love and PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) I might listen to loud music & look different and that scares some people but in reality I wouldn't hurt a fly.

Yeah I don't really know what's happened to the scene these days and yes the whole militant straight edge is ridiculous I saw a guy get beat up at a gig once because he was standing having a pint and it wasn't even a straightedge band

I agree, "the scene" is getting ridiculous, used to be a metal head was a metal head and a punker was a punker, now we've got factions within factions. I've got to have double the security at a gig compared to ten years ago because the MSE (militant straightedge) are liable to go after the tokers next to them or the boozers will loose it and jump the MSE, or throw beer on them.

Can't we all just shut our traps and keep our chemical intake choices to ourselves and rock out together again? Heck, I'll set up an herbal tea stand, a beer garden and, pass out joints during the show if that would get everyone to get along again. Like a lot of the artists, I really don't care what side you're on, I just want the good fan interaction we used to have back. I used to be able to trust you guys to be right up at the bottom of the stage, now, I have to have a five foot wide dead zone there filled with armed security - you'll attack each other, them the band if we don't. What happened to just being rockers and loving the music no matter what the rest of your life was about?

I think the stigma is that if u listen to metal then u wear black leather demin etc and drink smoke and probably smoke weed. I stopped looking like a metal fan years ago was sick of the looks it worked in high school though people thought I was a crazy satanists so left me alone.
The music is what counts not what your wearing or what ur drinking smoking or not smoking I'm straightedge but there's gotta be acceptance of others too each to their own I say

I'm 37 and have never been high or drunk once. The effects of even a small amount of alcohol feel a little scary to me. I recently drank a bottle of kombucha and felt buzzed. I didn't realize it had alcohol in it, then I read the bottle and it said it may contain trace amounts of alcohol. It was so little even a child could buy it. I'm such a lightweight. On the other hand I would be willing to try stimulants. I think I would like something like adderall, though I've never tried it. I would even try a little MDMA to see how it would affect me socially. Basically, I only like things that enhance cognitive function and hate things that attenuate it. But I am very straightedge, as you said, and I wouldn't do anything illegal. I tend to be a rule follower. So for now I'll just stick with Red Bull.

Oh man one evening I was forced to go to a work event and I'm a fairly private guy so didn't wana draw attention to the fact I don't drink as couldn't be bothered with all the questions as to why so I drank red bulls in a glass all night thinking that people would assume it was vodka red bull - anyways after about 7 bulls I went home didn't sleep threw up turned a weird yellow colour the next day and felt pretty awful for about a week - kinda like some of my worse hangovers lol

From all the aspies in real life I've known, I can't think of any of them who kept free from drugs and/or liquor. And from all of those, none did it in moderation either.

So, the notion that we all want to be in control doesn't really seem true in my experience.

And as for myself... I can, and will do substances in excess once in a while, but for some reason, any of the people who know me in real life, all say I'm the most responsible drinker and druguser. As much as I can go crazy and do it in excess I can keep my hands of it for a while and don't have that element that fires up addiction.

So, I'm not straightedge in any way, nor would I ever aspire to... I don't really have any interest to actively stay away from one thing or another... (pretty much the same reason why I would never consider going vegetarian or vegan).

Though, good for anyone who likes that kind of lifestyle. By all means live by it and by all means stick to your words. Claiming you're straightedge and end up with beer on weekends... clearly you didn't understand the concept.

King_Oni yeah, moderation well, if you mean not doing it everyday, then yeah, I do it in moderation. I do drink in moderation, one or two drinks in a day, if I drink that day save for the occasional party when I get plastered.

Other stuff by about seven months on tour, well only for the last three to four months of a tour but, moderation would not be a word anyone could reasonably apply to what I do then. All that energy has to come from somewhere and, after seven months of spending more than you have every day, well, yeah I keep it going by artificial means.

Hey, you try six time zones, four concerts and three flights half way around the world in the space of four days, then rinse and repeat for ten to eleven months of the year. I took a break, was going to call it enough of that but, I think I need the publicity for my other project so, I'll soon be at it again. Now what was that song? "Big ol jet airliner, don't carry me too far away..."

Me and the wife love it here in Durham it's such a chilled yet vibrant city with great culture. I've been to Leeds a few times to the armoires and there used to be a really cool shop there that sold great metal CDs called hellvetta or something like that and a club called the cockpit / however I'm talking a good few years ago now
I've never been to Durham sometimes it's mad when you realise you've got plenty of the country you live in to discover before trying to discover anywhere overseas!

King_Oni yeah, moderation well, if you mean not doing it everyday, then yeah, I do it in moderation. I do drink in moderation, one or two drinks in a day, if I drink that day save for the occasional party when I get plastered.

Other stuff by about seven months on tour, well only for the last three to four months of a tour but, moderation would not be a word anyone could reasonably apply to what I do then. All that energy has to come from somewhere and, after seven months of spending more than you have every day, well, yeah I keep it going by artificial means.

Hey, you try six time zones, four concerts and three flights half way around the world in the space of four days, then rinse and repeat for ten to eleven months of the year. I took a break, was going to call it enough of that but, I think I need the publicity for my other project so, I'll soon be at it again. Now what was that song? "Big ol jet airliner, don't carry me too far away..."
I'm so intrigued to who you are but I respect your privacy x

I reckon you could figure it out by going through her post history and picking out bits of information she gives out each time and figuring out what people also have that about them. I don't know anything about famous people and don't follow their lives so I don't know how to figure it out but I think if anyone here does have an interest in that area they could. I don't have any idea how to though.

Whoever she is she seems like a lovely person and I'm looking forward to the time when all will be revealed and to know that I'm communicating with a celebrity :)

Well as a kid I was very anti drink/drugs because I saw how damaging they were to my family and other kids from my school and thought "Nope, I want nothing to do with this!" I've listened to punk & hardcore from an early age (the term Straight Edge comes from a Minor Threat song, but it was never meant as a set of rules or movement, just Ian expressing his desire to not get wasted and live with a clear mind) I considered myself Straight Edge but I hadn't really tried anything at that point.

But then I tried alcohol and it was fun for a while in moderation, but it went from a recreational thing to a real problem for a few years, so I quit cold turkey nearly 2 years ago and officially declared myself Straight Edge. I've never smoked or done any other drugs though, unless you count being high on second hand weed smoke at shows.

I never want to drink alcohol again to be honest, constant sobriety is both a blessing and a curse because there is no "Off" switch and that can be very scary at times but for me it's a small price to pay for being healthy and having a clear mind. I would be lying if I said i didn't miss it sometimes but then I think about the devastating effect it had on my life and i snap out of it!

There's no punk/hardcore scene where I am because it's the middle of nowhere so I guess I'm a one person straight edge crew! One thing I don't like about SxE and hardcore is the elitism and violent attitudes that some edge people stereotypically have, but I'm all about love and PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) I might listen to loud music & look different and that scares some people but in reality I wouldn't hurt a fly.
Are you from Clitheroe or near there somewhere? An educated guess lol!

I agree, "the scene" is getting ridiculous, used to be a metal head was a metal head and a punker was a punker, now we've got factions within factions. I've got to have double the security at a gig compared to ten years ago because the MSE (militant straightedge) are liable to go after the tokers next to them or the boozers will loose it and jump the MSE, or throw beer on them.

MSE...lol. I can think of one of them whose "drug of choice" can only be one thing- money. :rolleyes:

It's the reason I don't go out because avoidance is the best cure. If I ended up in a nightclub and someone offered me pills or coke etc then I would happily oblige. I know my weaknesses so I avoid the situation. Luckily at near 35 years old nobody I know really goes clubbing anymore which is good for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom