• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stood up for myself to my grandfather

SunnyDay16

My grandfather tends to joke and give me a hard time about my quietness, but it has always kind of bothered me. I didn't want to really confront him about it though so I just let it roll off my back, but since my social anxiety is an area that I'm sensitive about I don't really like it when people tease me for it. Today I decided to send him an e-mail though to politely ask him to not do it.

My grandfather is the type who doesn't really have much of a filter, he just says what's on his mind without considering how others feel. He's not really good with social cues either so if something he has said has bothered me, he won't be able to tell just by looking at me. I don't care much if others tease me about my quietness, but if a family member does it it's harder for me to handle since I care a lot more what they think.

Do you guys feel it was necessary for me to confront him? I don't really like doing it, but this has been bothering me for a while and it makes me not really want to be around him.

Do you guys feel it was necessary for me to confront him? I don't really like doing it, but this has been bothering me for a while and it makes me not really want to be around him

You're standing up for your right to be treated with respect.

In a way it isn't 'confronting'

It's standing up for yourself and your boundaries.

Getting Self respect.

People like that will never know unless you tell them. Now its up to him. No matter what happens he can't say you didn't try and tell him.

Good to hear, as your relative I would think he'd understand your traits, nice to see you stand up for yourself.

New Threads

Top Bottom