• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

stimming or not

tillstar

so my son is non verbal asd and he can't not stop him self from. biting chewing and licking him finger he will go out of the room to do it hell hide and of he gets told off for it hell do it more .
recently my partner and sons father had started telling him not to do it and attempting to disapline our son over this but is he just stimming and will doing this upset my son further has anyone else faced this and might share how they handled the situation pls

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Disciplining or “telling off” for this behavior is unlikely to reduce the behavior and very likely to cause confusion for your child.

Have you thought about or tried to encourage replacement stims? By this, I mean instead of biting skin or body parts, perhaps your son could use something to chew on or bite in his mouth. There are lots of different chewing devices available online for a replacement to detrimental biting.

Also, while some stims occur as an excited response to things, many of them are a result of anxiety. If there are ways that you can address your son’s anxiety, it may help to reduce the frequency of harmful stimmming.

Here’s one idea designed for chewing that may be able to act as a soothing stim for your son.

I have bought him a heap.of different chew aids but he dosnt like them and gose straight back to chewing his fingers ... I've engaged a positive behaviour support therapist but there is a coupple of weeks before we start ... and im thinking untill my son starts therapy the best action is to monitor and take note of what's happening around my son befor he starts chewing and tell his dad not to say anything untill we have more information as to why my son is doing it

and im thinking untill my son starts therapy the best action is to monitor and take note of what's happening around my son befor he starts chewing and tell his dad not to say anything untill we have more information as to why my son is doing it
This sounds like a really good plan. I’m glad you have the behavior support person coming in.

Keeping track of his behavior is an excellent idea!

Also, although it puts you in a difficult position most likely, it does sound important for you and your husband to get on the same page that this type of stimmming will not respond to disciplinary action. It will very likely have the opposite effect and make it worse, but it sounds like you are already aware of that.

Perhaps, we could help you find some resources of why discipline doesn’t work if you think that would be helpful to your husband.

Hang in there, it sounds like you are on the right track.

This sounds like a really good plan. I’m glad you have the behavior support person coming in.

Keeping track of his behavior is an excellent idea!

Also, although it puts you in a difficult position most likely, it does sound important for you and your husband to get on the same page that this type of stimmming will not respond to disciplinary action. It will very likely have the opposite effect and make it worse, but it sounds like you are already aware of that.

Perhaps, we could help you find some resources of why discipline doesn’t work if you think that would be helpful to your husband.

Hang in there, it sounds like you are on the right track.
yes on this topic me and hubby are deffinatly not on the same page I dont agree discipline is appropriate and I have voiced this but hubby seems to think its exactly what needs to b done . but I certainly do like ur idea of getting information on y disapline isn't always helpful thank u very much

Here’s a few sources. Hopefully helpful.

How do I stop my child from stimming?’ is not the most helpful question to ask, according to the Child Mind Institute. A far more helpful question that can be asked is, ‘Why does my child engage in this behavior?’

If you identify what triggers your child’s stimming behavior, then you can adjust their environment in ways that might reduce their need to stim. This can be especially helpful in cases where stimming leads to self-injury, impacts everyday activities or interferes with learning – but also for children who stim because they’re overwhelmed or anxious.

Here are a few ways you can adjust their environment:

1. If stimming is the result of sensory overstimulation, try providing a calm, quiet space for your child, with fewer sensory inputs. A pair of noise-cancelling headphones can also be helpful.
  2. If stimming is a response to sensory under stimulation (boredom), try offering regular opportunities for engaging sensory inputs – for example, providing access to sensory toys (such as fidget spinners or push pop toys) or tactile activities (such as play dough or water play).
  3. If stimming is a response to anxiety or stress, look for changes you can make to minimize your child’s discomfort. Set and follow a consistent daily routine. Communicate expectations beforehand, as well as any changes to the routine, so your child has an opportunity to adjust.
Important: stimming behavior should never be punished. This can further stigmatize a child with autism and negatively impact their mental and emotional wellbeing.

If your child is at risk of harming themselves (or someone else) with their stimming behavior, encourage alternate soothing or coping methods that achieve the same result. Stress balls and other sensory toys are a great option in many cases. If your child needs more support, consider working with a psychologist or occupational therapist.

HOW TO STOP YOUR CHILD WITH AUTISM FROM BITING​

There are quite a few reasons behind why children with special needs bite. Luckily, most reasons can be improved with the same set of solutions.

PRAISE INCOMPATIBLE BEHAVIORS​

Your child won’t be able to bite someone if they’re using their mouth for something else, and that’s just what incompatible behaviors are. With this method, you can try to give your child a task to complete with their mouth, and give them praise while they’re completing it.

Here are some behaviors that are not compatible with biting:

• Having a snack
  • Blowing bubbles
  • Chewing gum (if your child is able to chew gum safely)
  • Praise your child with Autism for biting an appropriate object

IF YOUR AUTISTIC KID IS BITING TRY TO KEEP THEM BUSY​

Another way to help your child refrain from biting is to keep them busy on a predictable schedule. This method works well if your child is biting out of boredom, or if they are biting out of frustration that could be improved with a bit more predictability.

Here are some ways to help your child stay on a schedule:

• Create a visual schedule, so your child can see what is coming next
  • Provide activities that help your child meet their sensory needs

IF YOUR CHILD WITH AUTISM IS BITING: TRY TOAVOID OVER-STIMULATION​

Avoiding over-stimulation goes back to the communication-related reason for biting. Over-stimulation is common in children with Autism, and if they are not able to communicate how they’re feeling with you, it can also lead to aggressive behavior such as biting.

If you’d like to learn more about sensory overload and how you can avoid it, you can read more here.

PROVIDE YOUR AUTISTIC CHILD AN APPROPRIATE OUTLET TO MEET THEIR ORAL SENSORY NEED​

One of the easiest ways to help put a stop to your child with Autism’s biting is to give them something that they’re allowed to bite and chew on. This is extremely successful since it can be beneficial no matter the reason behind the bite. If your child feels the need to bite and they have an appropriate object with them, they are far less likely to bite themselves or others.

ABA Therapists often use sensory chews as their tool of choice when helping children who bite others or themselves. However, you don’t need a professional to begin using a chew. It’s an item you can easily introduce to your child on your own.

If you’re ready to try a chew for your child with Autism, spend some time looking through ChuBuddy’s product line. We have a variety of chews, from handheld chews to bracelets and necklaces. We have products for light chewers, heavy chewers, and everything in between.

While you work toward stopping your child with Autism’s biting, remember that you aren’t alone in this struggle. Many children with Autism bite, and it’s completely possible to help them move on from aggressive and self-harming behaviors. With a deeper understanding of why biting occurs and a few new methods to move past it, you and your child will be able to move on from biting with confidence and success.

I like this organization: The Child Mind Institute

How to reduce stimming​

Here are some ideas for increasing relationship skills while reducing time spent stimming:

• Get a medical exam to eliminate the possibility of physical causes for stims, such as ear infections,chronic pain, migraines and retinal detachment.
  • Manage the sensory environment and emotional environment to maximize personal comfort.
  • Vigorous exercise reduces the need to stim, probably because exercise is associated with beta-endorphins just like stimming.
  • Continue interacting while stimming occurs. In his book Communicating Partners, author James MacDonald suggests that individuals with autism tend to perceive the world through sensation and action, while most neurotypicals perceive through thought and language. Once this difference is understood, self-stimulatory behaviors make sense. MacDonald recommends turn-taking activities to engage a child without trying to stop stimming during the activity; the activity will gradually become increasingly comfortable and attractive, naturally reducing the stim.
  • Create a positive association between stimming and relationship-building. One way to use stimming as a productive part of the learning process is to allow stimming as a reinforcer or reward after a period of playful interaction or work. Julia Moor writes in her book Playing, Laughing and Learning With Children On The Autism Spectrum that making time for stimming will allow the child the comfort of being himself, encourage more interactions and actually reduce the total number of hours per day spent stimming.
  • Join the stim! Some treatment programs, including Son-Rise and Floortime, propose joining in the self-stimulatory behaviors as a way to initiate interaction. If a person is spinning plates, then start spinning plates. If a person is rocking back and forth, then rock back and forth right next to the person. My son’s preferred stim is to hold up his hand and talk to it, as if looking in a mirror. He thinks it’s hilarious when I do that with him!
Stanley Greenspan, author of Engaging Autismand developer of the Floortime method, explains: “Some children become intrigued—they now have a partner in crime, so to speak—and we get some shared attention and relating.”

He adds that if you begin to use the gestures so the child, in order to get what she wants, has to gesture purposefully back to you, the can become part of an interaction. “The overall principle is to offer the child experiences that produce the same sort of sensations as the self-stimulatory activity but lead up thedevelopmental ladder of regulation, engagement, and interaction.”

In other words, to reduce the stimming, offer a replacement that is more alluring than the stim!

Nonverbal doesn’t mean non-communicative. I’m guessing you already know this, but perhaps an emphasis on learning to communicate could help your family steer clear of the need for stim related discipline.

Functional Communication Training

New Threads

Top Bottom