• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Starting a social group

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
I'm trying to start a social group under the umbrella of an organization that I'm in, which we'll call "Barge". There's another social group I'm in, which we'll call "Jeans." The Barge group is run by two organizers, one who is the main lead and is very friendly, but with a tendency for rigidity in a way that has a lot of people lose interest in staying in the group long term. The other organizer is more open and helps mold things together, but does not take the forefront with the organization. Barge also wants to start a social component to their group. They were thinking of staying in the same area as where we meetup. Since Barge is near a big city, I'm encouraging doing a variety of locations to be open to possibly other people as well and not excluding the group to just one small area based on proximity. I'm also willing to lead this portion of the group.

The group, Jeans, is a group that runs successfully, no membership fee, and has social activities open to people with multiple disabilities. Barge, even though it has an aim for people on the spectrum, is also open to people with disabilities. Jeans looks for people who want to be independent, and Barge tends to have people who are mostly independent and usually struggling, or want to be independent. Barge tends to have people much older the Jeans. Barge used to have many people of all ages, but lost a lot of people due to the rigidity of the prior leader basically.

In addition to the social group I start under Barge, I'm also hoping to call the group Jeans on a Barge where both groups may or may not collaborate on a few events. Unlike Jeans for now, Barge would also plan on attempting some support group meetings just specifically for the support group. We could have a theme for the meeting, but could also go off-topic depending on people's emotions. The aim would be to make people feel valuable and to understand life for what it is, and how to deal with it. The leader of Barge does not want to do support meetings because they are too hard for him, and he wants everyone to like talking about information and meditation only. The other leader is more open, but doesn't take the forefront for the group. I feel that the group won't grow with it being so restrictive, and I feel confident about managing the social events and the support group logistics.

I mentioned this idea to the main leader in Jeans, and she could not process everything. I also accidentally told her that she could ask other board members or her parents to communicate with me. She was insulted by me asking about her parents, but she did feel that I was trying to make good work. I apologized to her and told her I look for everyone's good success. There is a sense of frustration inside of me because I can tell that her lack of processing and understanding of how much effort I have to make to go to their events (30 - 1 hr driving one way plus toll plus I consider if the event is 4 hours+ and if the date and time are confirmed and not being changed on me last minute) have held me up before. This socialization might not end up happening. Not sure. Feeling frustrated that things may not pan out, or that I may accidentally turn people away because apparently I do process more than most people I've met on the spectrum.

Today, the Jeans group came over to an event in my state from a different state. Their event happened to be 5 blocks away from my parking spot in the city. Mind you this is the city. Online, the main organizer said it was okay for me to try to meet them at the place and not go with them during the event (because I didn't want to go with them at the event because I had other plans I wanted to do more). When I get to the parking spot, I text the girl (old enough to be a lady, but somewhat immature) and she tells me they are not there yet. Then when I ask her where she is so that I can meet her outside, she tells me she is there. She doesn't direct me to go where.

I have to find where to go, and just find another entrance for groups by chance. I find them in there. I try to say hi to some people, and that organizer just keeps the group moving along and doesn't try to introduce everyone to me. I got to "meet" most people. I got the sense that she was mad I was there from the previous experience I described, and that she also was having a hard time processing how to be proper to someone in my circumstance because it wasn't in her regiment. I could not wait outside for them because it was 90 degree Fahrenheit outside today, and she did not consider trying to look for me. She might've been frustrated because the schedule was not followed as planned too. Had I not found the group entrance by chance, she would've went in without trying to wait for me.

So frustrated. I would really like to believe that most people on the spectrum are not dense like this and that most people can process things well.

I'm glad I found a more fun event to join rather than this event that would've been a turn off for me.

I'm thinking of leaving this group, Jeans, but not sure yet. Decided to try to reach out to another one of the organizers, and he added me to Skype, but then keeps pushing me off. I guess if I try a few times (not too often, but often enough over Skype), I could call him a few times and see what happens. :(

Finally tried calling yesterday. Had to leave a message. I don't have a good feeling about all this. I feel like I'm trying too hard. I get that people have sporadic or "sporadic" schedules. It bugs me that he asked me about my schedule before telling me his. He didn't seem interested in setting up a specific day and time to speak.

Earlier, a parent made a request in the discussion portion of the FB group. I PMed her and she never responded. She only wanted a public answer, but seems to assume that I would not be able to help her or connect with her.

I'm not connecting with anyone in the group because they seem to mostly function on a different level, be too immature, don't care to try to consider that I'm from a different state and have the ability to make things work if they try to be flexible too, and even when I make things as easy as possible, nothing is enough. They kind of expect me to just "show up and be happy" when they have their events and that's it.

Several times, a few of the events have changed their times after I signed up, and sometimes the times have been shortened where the length of the activity or the conflict that was not available before suddenly appeared and it was not worth it for me to go. On another occasion, mentioned many months early for an event that the event was not long enough for me unfortunately. One of the organizers said she'd extend the time, but hasn't for months.

I want to give this group the benefit of the doubt, but I don't feel like I can enjoy the activities unless I live in the same state. Looks like I got to look for something else. Makes me sad. Not sure if there's anything else I can do. maybe a few more phone calls spread out, but it's starting to get ridiculous honestly.

What goals are you aiming for here? I'm assuming the members component consists of people with an ASD. What's your relationship with the AS?

What goals are you aiming for here? I'm assuming the members component consists of people with an ASD. What's your relationship with the AS?
Yes, all the members have ASD including me. My experience in this realm is that I've never been able to find a good fit for myself, so that best I can do is to create something myself. Also, I've been able to handle being in the real world and hold a teaching job full time and perform many tasks well independently. So, I tend to feel stuck between 2 worlds, but I think it also gives me a tendency to understand both NT and the non-NT worlds.

A few days ago, I ended up dropping the group that I was trying to merge with. Also, yesterday, there was a lot of drama I had to deal with at work. It was not under my control, but it still saddened me greatly. I was taken advantage of my not being given a true opportunity to be eligible for a raffle, another colleague of mine took up 30 minutes of my own time and wouldn't give me his time in which I was listening to personal stories bothering him. I also found out from him that a second colleague invited him to something, but didn't include me. Ironically, I was okay with that in this case because I don't want to be invited to a brother's graduation where I've never met the brother, and the brother is graduating high school and not even college. I have no interest in throwing my money in as a gift to someone I've never even met. Such an inappropriate invitation.

New Threads

Top Bottom