• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Started My Medication This Week.

AngelaS267

I started my medication, and I feel very proud of myself that I finally am working on getting myself help after years of dealing with anxiety and depression. I got the medication a while ago but for some reason I got anxiety about taking them. You realize how much is going to change when you use them, and it overwhelmed me so much.

I am taking Sertraline (Zoloft). So far for the past 5 days it's actually been pretty okay. I keep saying a mantra to myself that it's going to be okay, it's only side effects, and keep pushing. But the side effects haven't been horrible at all. I'm tired, and my stomach gurgles sometimes. I've been clenching my teeth like crazy and getting to sleep has been a bit of a battle, but I'll take that any day. I'm now feeling optimistic about it. I noticed right away that I can't cry as easily. Usually the things I'd cry about can trigger me in like an instant but now I can think through them better. What are you guy's experience with medication if you've taken it? Any words of wisdom or personal experiences?

Also, I hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there during these times. :fourleaf:

I take the same medication. One of the reasons I am taking it is actually because I, too, might cry easily (but mostly my response is anger, especially when I am not alone).

But I seem to be sensitive to it; I actually take only 25 mg of it (I have to split it), which is the least recommended dose, and am responding well to it. It's like my own sweet spot. Taking more than that makes me numb, and decreasing the dose makes me emotionally directed. It took me years to discover the best dose of that medication for me mainly because doctors do not usually prescribe that dose (if ever). When my psychiatrist first prescribed it to me, it was to treat depression. She prescribed about double the dose I am taking now, so it made me numb, and I kept complaining that "it was not working" because I thought the numbness was because of depression, not the medication, so she kept increasing the dose gradually until eventually it reached 300 mg! Then, I stopped it, but have just got back to it about 2 months ago.

That was my experience. I can't blame my psychiatrist for giving me that dose, which wasn't just the right one for me, because I might be more sensitive to the medication than most people. Even stopping the medication was a nightmare for me; I kept decreasing the dose gradually for about 3 months. Normally, it just takes 2 weeks.

Happy it is working for you :)
(By the way, you might experience a strange and sudden feeling of "electricity" in your brain if you forgot the dose, or stopped it cold-turkey, so, if you ever experience that, there is nothing to worry about. Taking the dose as soon as possible fixes the problem in about a few hours.)

I started my medication, and I feel very proud of myself that I finally am working on getting myself help after years of dealing with anxiety and depression.
Hi Angela and well done for taking action to make things better, i've taken medication at various time for the same my first experience was taking Valium at 15, Citalopram helped but left me feeling 'numb' and lost, i kept on this for over 5 years and then eased off it and have been medication free for over 5 years, what helped was C.B.T for 1.5 years this time i'd had it before but only for short periods, one of my main troubles was accepting my Autism and people's responses to 'who i am' or more importantly their ignorance about the diverse nature of Autism and general thinking that all people with Autism have savant skills, yes the 'Rain Man' perspective, are non social and enjoy 'Train spotting' also the constant anxiety and depression enabled a 'fixed mindset' and a negative defensive attitude and response to life, like the 'Halo' effect ie... if you've told stuff about you repeatedly and have low self esteem and self image you become those things. Recently, oh so recently i found this forum and explored lots of the links from members to try to change my thinking, started jogging and yoga and got out of a Toxic relationship, i try to take on new challenging remind myself each day of my gratitude list and tell myself 'it's my life and i'm responsible for what i say and do but not to how people respond to it', good luck with the meds i still am hypersensitive and cry and absorb emotions often but that like all things in life that changes from day to day.

That took serious kickball attitude to get it together and ask for help. Sometimes it's anxiety or depression that sends us into those sterile offices where you just pray that someone takes you seriously and you get help without fear of white coats and lots of questions.

I found a site 'My Possibleself' it's free ATM and deals with mental health, anxiety and depression, i like it and thought it may be of interest to you, take care.

I have come to expect issues/side effects whenever starting, stopping or changing meds. But they usually only last a few days or a week or so. I therefore don't like to judge the medication itself until I have been on it a while. They say some meds take a few weeks or even a month to start working correctly, which I never understood really, but do now believe.

I’d really like to take anti-depressants, but I’ve read that they’re as effective as placebos—as in, not effective at all. But you guys say they do actually work? I also worry that they’ll change and/or have a malign effect on my personality.

I’d really like to take anti-depressants, but I’ve read that they’re as effective as placebos—as in, not effective at all.

That's utterly ridiculous and contradicted by millions everyday whose lives has been returned to them by modern medicine. But people like to be against psychiatry.

That's utterly ridiculous and contradicted by millions everyday whose lives has been returned to them by modern medicine. But people like to be against psychiatry.

Do people who take them notice any major personality changes in themselves?

A wise man told me that medications do not change or alter the spirit, but that they alter the body's behaviors towards the environment. For example, I take anti-psychotics so that my dark sides and other ugly sides can be restrained so that I may advance in a more positive matter :)

I believe I've seen "personality change" on the list of side-effects for some medications, but I can't name any specifically. But I'm not exactly sure what it means by "personality change." If somebody is low energy, low self-esteem, suicidal, etc. and then all that is taken away, is that a personality change? If a socially anxious person is able to socialize, is that a personality change? What specifically are you worried could happen, in terms of your personality? I've tried about a dozen anti-depressants and they either didn't make me feel better or they did make feel better. Never anything else worth noting.

I believe I've seen "personality change" on the list of side-effects for some medications, but I can't name any specifically. But I'm not exactly sure what it means by "personality change." If somebody is low energy, low self-esteem, suicidal, etc. and then all that is taken away, is that a personality change? If a socially anxious person is able to socialize, is that a personality change? What specifically are you worried could happen, in terms of your personality? I've tried about a dozen anti-depressants and they either didn't make me feel better or they did make feel better. Never anything else worth noting.

Well, I guess I’ve heard people say that antidepressants made them feel like a zombie (numb, dull, colorless, etc.). I’m afraid to feel like I’ve been lobotomized.

Well, I guess I’ve heard people say that antidepressants made them feel like a zombie (numb, dull, colorless, etc.). I’m afraid to feel like I’ve been lobotomized.

I've heard that too but have never experienced it myself. But if that were to happen, you'd simply be switched to a different anti-depressant. There are dozens.

I've heard that too but have never experienced it myself. But if that were to happen, you'd simply be switched to a different anti-depressant. There are dozens.

Do you think it helps with the more “undesirable” aspects of your autism, or does it just lessen anxiety and depression unrelated to autism? I hope that makes sense. What I really want is to take the edge off of how overly emotional and sensitive autism has made me my whole life. Maybe you don’t have that problem, but what I’m really wondering is if meds have helped your autism at all.

Zoloft Buddies! I hope you have as much success with your Zoloft as i did with mine. It took a bit of a meltdown for me to decide I needed to do something to help with my anxiety and depression.
My advice is patience. It takes several weeks before side effects kick in.

Do you think it helps with the more “undesirable” aspects of your autism, or does it just lessen anxiety and depression unrelated to autism? I hope that makes sense. What I really want is to take the edge off of how overly emotional and sensitive autism has made me my whole life. Maybe you don’t have that problem, but what I’m really wondering is if meds have helped your autism at all.

I definitely have the over-sensitivity problem, it's life ruining and why I self-medicated for so long. I don't know that the anti-depressant helped with that problem. I take a mood stabilizer, Lithium, and that accomplishes that clearly, immediately, and dramatically. The anti-depressant, as far as I can tell, only helped directly with depression and anxiety.

For me, I only really want to address the anxiety and depression with the medication. I don't think I'm so bad when I'm not sad or constantly worried. Everything else, I figure I can just pick up some helpful coping skills. I firmly believe I can have a good life while on the spectrum, I just have to make my own way. I am on a journey of acceptance of that part of me.

Good point. Some can have long term effects (groggy, sleepy, weight gain/loss, etc). I had to try a few before finding the one that had benign effects (for me). But it improved my personality by removing much of the detrimental anxiety/phobias. Or as Fino pit it allowed the real me to surface.

New Threads

Top Bottom