• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Special Talents

Psychology, which is rare for us. Ironically enough, three separate people without knowing I'm Aspie have used the term "savant" to describe me and my talent with matters of the mind. Too bad I don't actually use it for much, seeing how NTs rarely want solutions to their problems and instead prefer to receive validation of their chosen axiom of belief and the gratification that comes with it.

I write a lot of papers when my mind goes off on a tear about a particular subject, but I've never posted or published them. I have no degree, no reputation, no credentials whatsoever and nobody will listen to anyone who lacks credibility. So I just spend my nights and weekends writings fresh perspectives on issues that have bedeviled the world of psychology for generations, just for my own amusement/betterment.

Psychology, which is rare for us. Ironically enough, three separate people without knowing I'm Aspie have used the term "savant" to describe me and my talent with matters of the mind. Too bad I don't actually use it for much, seeing how NTs rarely want solutions to their problems and instead prefer to receive validation of their chosen axiom of belief and the gratification that comes with it.

I write a lot of papers when my mind goes off on a tear about a particular subject, but I've never posted or published them. I have no degree, no reputation, no credentials whatsoever and nobody will listen to anyone who lacks credibility. So I just spend my nights and weekends writings fresh perspectives on issues that have bedeviled the world of psychology for generations, just for my own amusement/betterment.

Seems a shame to hide all that light under a bushel though. You could blog about it and get a following, but I understand some people don't have the need to share their work. My late husband was that way. He just did things to please himself.

Seems a shame to hide all that light under a bushel though. You could blog about it and get a following, but I understand some people don't have the need to share their work. My late husband was that way. He just did things to please himself.

I have been keeping a sketchbook for about 2 years now. I use my sketch book, to draft plans for work, attempt to create artwork, make diagrams of electrical and plumbing assemblies, I will write down notes of what ever I need to remember. I use my sketch book to transfer my thoughts and ideas from my mind to the outside world.

I do like that in the future maybe even after I'm dead there will still be a first hand account who I was and what I was thinking. Little is know about Greek philosophers, but if the accounts of were never recorded and/or shared. Then the works of Plato,Homer,Socrates,and Aristotle would no longer exist.

Cali Cat I'm didn't know you are a widow, I'm terribly sorry to hear that. If don't mind me asking do you still have any of your husband work he created?

Cali Cat I'm didn't know you are a widow, I'm terribly sorry to hear that. If don't mind me asking do you still have any of your husband work he created?

Thank you for your condolences. It's been slightly over 10 years now; and yes, I still have a lot of my late husband's artwork and many books full of his journal writings. It was very illuminating to read the things he'd been writing over the years. I was amazed at how little I figured into his daily thoughts. I was very rarely mentioned. At the same time, this was rather comforting for I realized that I had very little to do with his choosing to pass on. Most of his mind, and his troubles, focused on other people in his environment.

Thank you for your condolences. It's been slightly over 10 years now; and yes, I still have a lot of my late husband's artwork and many books full of his journal writings. It was very illuminating to read the things he'd been writing over the years. I was amazed at how little I figured into his daily thoughts. I was very rarely mentioned. At the same time, this was rather comforting for I realized that I had very little to do with his choosing to pass on. Most of his mind, and his troubles, focused on other people in his environment.

Your late husband has returned to be with his ancestors, a man those spirit haunted by demons released through death. Your husband is now at peace beside the great spirit, behind the moon in the stars.

My pleasure I do enjoy American Indian culture. 5/8's of my blood is Northern Cheyenne the other 3/8's is white. For man who doesn't like surprises I sure am full of them. Any way My ancestors were part of two societies the Crazy Dogs and The Contrary Society. I have been majority of what I have learned about Cheyenne culture I have learned from paternal grandparents.

I would have to say writing/storytelling also. In primary school (for non-UK member this is like elementary school and goes up to age 10/11) I wrote a bunch of stories that were collected into a folder and put in the school library, I wrote a poem that my teacher liked so much she arranged for me to read it to the entire school on a stage. I wrote my first screenplay when I was 9 and when I was 16 sent off a script to the BBC where I got great feedback.

I then fell into a depression for years that is now thankfully getting better and for the first time in ages I'm now working on a couple of spec-scripts to send off in the hopes of getting something made professionally.

I would have to say writing/storytelling also. In primary school (for non-UK member this is like elementary school and goes up to age 10/11) I wrote a bunch of stories that were collected into a folder and put in the school library, I wrote a poem that my teacher liked so much she arranged for me to read it to the entire school on a stage. I wrote my first screenplay when I was 9 and when I was 16 sent off a script to the BBC where I got great feedback.

I then fell into a depression for years that is now thankfully getting better and for the first time in ages I'm now working on a couple of spec-scripts to send off in the hopes of getting something made professionally.

Interesting that you make a distinction between writing and storytelling, because they really are two different things. I can write well, but my storytelling abilities are rubbish (to use my UK slang :p). Similarly, someone may be able to tell stories like a whiz verbally, but have no skill at getting them on paper. You are fortunate to have capabilities for both.

I stick with non-fiction writing myself, in a somewhat journalistic style. Though, I used to write songs and poems when I was young. For some reason, the structure of poetry and lyrics somehow allows me to be more creative than analytical.

I can relate to the depression as well, as it has been a lifelong battle for me. Good job that you are on the road to recovery from that.

Hmm, I have a very good imagination and can develop stories and characters, backstories and all, in a matter of minutes. I love to write and have even published. Unfortunately, I tend to move on to another story quickly so I rarely finish.

I can also memorize lists and inventories. When I worked at a movie rental store I had memorized every title we had, how many copies of it we owned, and which were currently checked out. We had over 1000 titles in store. This is something I can do with any inventory really.

Other than that, I have just always been rather intelligent and I love to learn and pick up information. My reading comprehension has always been above normal, and when I develop an 'interest' I can become very knowledgeable or talented in it. At 11 I was obsessed with ancient Egyptian culture and taught myself how to read hieroglyphics.

Last edited:
I learned to read at 9, but because of what proceeded afterwards, it shows my upbringing had a lot to do with me not being able to read before, becaus, from being at the bottom of my class, I shot to the top and even was rewarded a certificate for being the best reader in class. I am told that when I read, I bring things to life. But, my spelling is pretty bad and yet, my vocabulary is very wide. I seem to find small words difficult to spell and cannot sound out different sounds.

I suppose my talent is psychology. I am pretty good at reading people. Never used to be. But that seems to be a pattern. When I learn something, I get very good at it.

Not too bad with technology, but I guess it isn't a talent, because I wouldn't be able to fix something, but can easily find my way around.

I can also memorize lists and inventories. When I worked at a movie rental store I had memorized every title we had, how many copies of it we owned, and which were currently checked out. We had over 1000 titles in store. This is something I can do with any inventory really.

That's cool! :cool:

My first thought when reading this was that I'd find a mobster and become his accountant. That way, I could "cook" the books and keep the real figures in my head. :D

I've obviously been watching too many crime dramas. :p

I learned to read at 9, but because of what proceeded afterwards, it shows my upbringing had a lot to do with me not being able to read before, becaus, from being at the bottom of my class, I shot to the top and even was rewarded a certificate for being the best reader in class. I am told that when I read, I bring things to life. But, my spelling is pretty bad and yet, my vocabulary is very wide. I seem to find small words difficult to spell and cannot sound out different sounds.

I suppose my talent is psychology. I am pretty good at reading people. Never used to be. But that seems to be a pattern. When I learn something, I get very good at it.

Not too bad with technology, but I guess it isn't a talent, because I wouldn't be able to fix something, but can easily find my way around.

I have a knack for psychology too, which, as you say, is unusual for HFA. I wish now that I would have pursued that as a career if not writing, but I really suffered from lack of direction. My parents had their own problems, and didn’t have time to really worry about developing my potential.

I sure wish I had some skill in the realm of technology. I'm rubbish at it. That's probably my Achilles heel in this day and age.

My talent is math. In school as a child I was identified as gifted in math. Then I struggled a lot with algebra and calculus due to the abstractions involved. I hit geometry and statistics and took off. I love math and I am studying math as part of ym graduate degree to be a professor.

My talent is math. In school as a child I was identified as gifted in math. Then I struggled a lot with algebra and calculus due to the abstractions involved. I hit geometry and statistics and took off. I love math and I am studying math as part of ym graduate degree to be a professor.

It's great that you have a plan to use your talent! :)

Public transport and memorising maps and timetables.

When I was 10, I went on a bus route for the first time. I'd memorised the route map beforehand. When I thought the driver had made a wrong turn, I spotted his mistake.

I've just finalised all timing and bookings for a round the world trip, mostly by train.

Public transport and memorising maps and timetables.

When I was 10, I went on a bus route for the first time. I'd memorised the route map beforehand. When I thought the driver had made a wrong turn, I spotted his mistake.

I've just finalised all timing and bookings for a round the world trip, mostly by train.

Cool !!! :cool::cool::cool:

I was a lot like you, Cali Cat, in that I started reading at a very early age. So when I started school, I was skipped from kindergarten to first grade, and I was really upset because I had seen the play section of the kindergarten classroom and I hadn't had a chance to play! But by fourth grade I was pronounced to be reading nearly at college level. I also love to read; I read voraciously anything I could get my hands upon. I love to write creatively too, but am terrified to try getting published. I have entered a few contests but did not win.

Ever consider writing under a pseudonym or even self-publishing? I know such websites exist, but I'm not sure offhand what they'd be. Many who end up self-publishing and make money got their start in publishing and then were either losing too much money staying with publishing company or wanted to make more. I'm sure there are a number who self-published from the ground up though too.

I have very good pattern recognition skills, and I am a small handful of people who play both competitive chess and competitive Scrabble I think. Apparently, I can be a pretty trustworthy person if things are working out well for me despite the fact that an institution will start to go haywire and go ready to shut down- cause I do whatever it takes to keep the institution afloat and maximize trust around all those who need help if I can help them and still complete my own job.

Sometimes, I think it's pretty cool what I have done, and sometimes it doesn't feel like much of a talent because there's always someone I know who is better than me at one particular thing or a smaller combination of things I've done.

I generally limit my perception of my "talents" because I try to be humble by nature, and I don't feel they hold a lot of worth unless they are being used at that moment in the real world.

New Threads

Top Bottom