• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Special Talents

Like you, Cali Cat, writing. Also I'm sensational at cultural theory, philosophy, gender theory etc - anything theory based in the social sciences. But as they came easy, I didn't value what I had. I've always sought to focus on my weaknesses. Doesn't pay the bills too well. I feel I've wasted my life, but c'est la vie. My biggest regret is not keeping up maths. I was great at it and enjoyed it.

I'm a polyglot.

It started when I was little and my mother realised I enjoyed speaking foreign names. I would attend English courses and none of my peers seemed to keep up with my development (I had to make my own methods and find more material to study, as the courses were considerably slow to me). I soon figured out patterns in the speeches of actors and youtubers I watched and started to replicate them. I showed up one day in class with a half British, half Australian accent. My teacher was like "Wait... What... Oh my... No... Is that... Huh?

I could (no longer can) sound like several species of birds as a child.

I can do accents quite well, maybe that's due to my frequent repetition of what people say. I always repeat what I hear from movies. It can be creepy if it's the first time someone sees me doing it.

I taught myself how to play Beethoven and Mozart on my guitar, but like Astrogama, I can't pick up the chords with complex rhythm, just the arrangements.

I learned Braille in a weekend because the patterns were amusing.

There are more things, all of them somehow related to "Linguistic Chameleonism".

I'm a polyglot.

It started when I was little and my mother realised I enjoyed speaking foreign names. I would attend English courses and none of my peers seemed to keep up with my development (I had to make my own methods and find more material to study, as the courses were considerably slow to me). I soon figured out patterns in the speeches of actors and youtubers I watched and started to replicate them. I showed up one day in class with a half British, half Australian accent. My teacher was like "Wait... What... Oh my... No... Is that... Huh?

I could (no longer can) sound like several species of birds as a child.

I can do accents quite well, maybe that's due to my frequent repetition of what people say. I always repeat what I hear from movies. It can be creepy if it's the first time someone sees me doing it.

I taught myself how to play Beethoven and Mozart on my guitar, but like Astrogama, I can't pick up the chords with complex rhythm, just the arrangements.

I learned Braille in a weekend because the patterns were amusing.

There are more things, all of them somehow related to "Linguistic Chameleonism".

That's quite a novelty. :) Are you planning to capitalize on your gift in some way?

I can perceive the places in the body where a person has inflammation. I use this when I do a reiki treatment. This seems to be amplified sensory sensitivity, plus some natural affinity for sensing chi stagnation amd heat in the body. I sense it with my core, as well as with my hands. The ouchy spots in the person's body seem to glow. There is almost a pull, to draw me to treat/attend to those areas. I can find the spots like glowing lava inside the dark grey interior of the person's body and energy/chi meridians.

I don't know a better way to explain this. I've sensed natural energies strongly since I was born. I just developed this ability to sense the glowing inflammation areas the more I practiced reiki.

That's quite a novelty. :) Are you planning to capitalize on your gift in some way?

Definitely! I'm already working on it. I plan to raise awareness projects on the autism spectrum and teach social and communication skills. I'll "soon" have my major in Linguistics and that is going to open some doors.

I will teach what I didn't know when I was younger so people don't need to go through the things I had to go through in order to adapt.

When I was a child, my stepfather said something I'll never forget:

"The world is too big to change on your own. But do your part in changing it a little, and someone will thank you."

That's my plan. It if doesn't work, I'll make it work.

Definitely! I'm already working on it. I plan to raise awareness projects on the autism spectrum and teach social and communication skills. I'll "soon" have my major in Linguistics and that is going to open some doors.

I will teach what I didn't know when I was younger so people don't need to go through the things I had to go through in order to adapt.

When I was a child, my stepfather said something I'll never forget:

"The world is too big to change on your own. But do your part in changing it a little, and someone will thank you."

That's my plan. It if doesn't work, I'll make it work.

You have a great attitude and a noble cause for which to strive. Best of luck to you! :)

You have a great attitude and a noble cause for which to strive. Best of luck to you! :)

I forgot to put my answer into context with your question. In my head it had a context.

Here is the context: Knowing more languages allow me to get rid of a few boundaries and reach more people regardless of nationality.

Thank you for your kind words.

I did well in academics as a child, getting academic recognition across the board for the 4th grade state tests. One of a handful of children in a relatively large elementary... I also read several grades above my reading level for many years, as well as skipping pre-algebra in 7th grade...

I did win a best of show-grand prize art award around 7th grade as well... I didn't even realize I was that good until the teacher announced the day of. She entered all of the students (after receiving their permission of course) herself, and had never really (that I can remember, which doesn't mean she didn't) told me I was good artist. Won me $5 and a big ole' blue ribbon... I often still wish I had that artwork.

I've recently started back up at the local community college, and have had a couple instructors/professors ask my permission to use my papers as examples. I can't lie, after being off the intellectual saddle for so long, it feels good being back on.

I won money 5 consecutive years playing fantasy football, despite watching perhaps a total of 4 qtrs of play per season for the last 3 seasons. I would simply look at the prior years stats and a strength of schedule (albeit provided by other analysts on certain sites), do a handful of mock-drafts, and find the aforementioned success. I always ended up with at least one position leader for the season.... Come to think about it, I did put quite a bit of work in, especially in the winning seasons 1-3... so maybe this doesn't count...

Last edited:
This popped up in features and I see I answered, but what I failed to add was my knack with accounting. I am absolutely rubbish with mathmatics and yet, despite this, I know all these is to know about accounting in a very short time and no former education.

I control the household expenses. My husband mocks my method and tells me that I should do it the formal way, but it confuses the heck out of me.

I am on the way to being diagnosed formally and when I mentioned this to the therapist, he just said: as long as she gets it right, that should be all that counts and also, it helped him to process my diagnosis.

New Threads

Top Bottom