• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Special Talents

I don't toss my savant title out there much,and sometimes doubt it myself. I just have some pretty intense skill sets and a cool bag of tricks to play with.

Now I just say that I am possibly eidetic and leave it at that. I have an extreme capability of recall and can put sets of images together to come to conclusions when doing engineering or repairs.

I have done some pretty important mechanical design and manufacturing work over the years that left a pretty hefty mark on this big old planet and I will just leave it at that.

Question? I see that a lot of the posts here are about having talent in reading, writing and vocabulary. My question is. How many of you think you know where you got your talents in vocabulary from? Back when I was young, I too amass a very large vocabulary skill set for someone my age. But here's the thing. They say for NT's that only 5% of communication is verbal. As for an aspie, it's more like >95% (if not 100%). So how many of you think that you developed your exceptional vocabulary skills based on the fact that verbal communication is the only from of communication you're capable of doing (And in most cases, was the only form of communication you believed ever existed at the time.)? The reason I ask this is because, I think that an exceptional vocabulary talent is the result of a coping mechanism, to make up for a lack of something else. What do you guys think of this theory/hypothesis?

Question? I see that a lot of the posts here are about having talent in reading, writing and vocabulary. My question is. How many of you think you know where you got your talents in vocabulary from? Back when I was young, I too amass a very large vocabulary skill set for someone my age. But here's the thing. They say for NT's that only 5% of communication is verbal. As for an aspie, it's more like >95% (if not 100%). So how many of you think that you developed your exceptional vocabulary skills based on the fact that verbal communication is the only from of communication you're capable of doing (And in most cases, was the only form of communication you believed ever existed at the time.)? The reason I ask this is because, I think that an exceptional vocabulary talent is the result of a coping mechanism, to make up for a lack of something else. What do you guys think of this theory/hypothesis?
I think this is a very interesting angle on it all! It makes sense, too!

I don't know if I have any sort of special skill or anything like that. The only thing I know of that I'm naturally good at is archery, but I haven't been able to practice it in years. I know that I'm an extremely (socially) flexible person though. I wouldn't say I'm good at socializing or talking with people, but I spent years with no friends and nothing to do but observe, so I did exactly that. So because of that I'm extremely flexible when it comes to people. I can change the way I act and interact just based on the personality of who I am talking with. I think. I'm not really 100% on this, I'm mostly just guessing.

I don't know about this either, but when it comes down to it in school in a group, if no one steps up and delegates things to people, leader wise, I'm pretty good at that. In most cases, someone does step up and take the leader role, but in the few cases that that hasn't happened, I take it. Not because I want to, but because I have to if we want to get any work done.

Other than those things, I'm honestly unsure if I have any special skills or anything like that...

I'm pretty good at darts... That's about it. Oh almost forgot, I'm also pretty good at barely getting by if that counts as a special talent. :p:D:rolleyes:

I also have a knack for reading and writing. My vocabulary is three levels above my current grade. I can be good when I want to be, and that's mainly when I'm not doing a writing assignment.

Good job! Now be sure to develop that talent into something you can use. You might not know, because you're gifted, but being able to write well is becoming a lost art. It will soon be highly in demand.

I don't know if I have any sort of special skill or anything like that. The only thing I know of that I'm naturally good at is archery, but I haven't been able to practice it in years. I know that I'm an extremely (socially) flexible person though. I wouldn't say I'm good at socializing or talking with people, but I spent years with no friends and nothing to do but observe, so I did exactly that. So because of that I'm extremely flexible when it comes to people. I can change the way I act and interact just based on the personality of who I am talking with. I think. I'm not really 100% on this, I'm mostly just guessing.

I don't know about this either, but when it comes down to it in school in a group, if no one steps up and delegates things to people, leader wise, I'm pretty good at that. In most cases, someone does step up and take the leader role, but in the few cases that that hasn't happened, I take it. Not because I want to, but because I have to if we want to get any work done.

Other than those things, I'm honestly unsure if I have any special skills or anything like that...

Sounds like you developed a method for coping with social situations. That's very good. It will serve you well in the workplace.

It's a pity when you're good at something but never have the opportunity to practice. I'm a naturally good shot with a gun, but hardly ever get to go shooting due to the expense.

I'm a bit like you when it comes to assuming a leadership role. I hate having to do it, but somebody has to get the ball rolling. I wonder if you have an INTJ Personality too?
You might want to take a personality test to see. If so, just search for Myers Briggs Personality Test.

You may not realize you have a special talent yet. It may be something so subtle that you've overlooked it, or, like the archery, just haven't had the occasion to use it much. I'm sure you'll discover it eventually.

I'm pretty good at darts... That's about it. Oh almost forgot, I'm also pretty good at barely getting by if that counts as a special talent. :p:D:rolleyes:

Actually, I think that is a special talent! It takes a lot of skill to skate through by the skin of one's teeth. :)

My base talent is probably in pattern recognition. Besides making me more autodidactic, it helps with problem-solving, too. Where most of us prefer routine, I don't see the breaking of said routine to be an affront, but more as a symptom (to be analyzed). (MRI machines work on the same principle.)

Last edited:
I'm a bit like you when it comes to assuming a leadership role. I hate having to do it, but somebody has to get the ball rolling. I wonder if you have an INTJ Personality too?
You might want to take a personality test to see. If so, just search for Myers Briggs Personality Test.

I already took one a while ago, I am INTJ along with two others, though I don't remember what they are. One of them was The Healer or something like that, I think.

Sounds like you developed a method for coping with social situations. That's very good. It will serve you well in the workplace.

It's a pity when you're good at something but never have the opportunity to practice. I'm a naturally good shot with a gun, but hardly ever get to go shooting due to the expense.

You may not realize you have a special talent yet. It may be something so subtle that you've overlooked it, or, like the archery, just haven't had the occasion to use it much. I'm sure you'll discover it eventually.

You mentioned that you are a pretty good shot. My wife and my oldest daughter in law are both excellent shooters, better than myself and my son. We go to the range a lot and the girls do not always go, but when they do, they out shoot both of us. One of the granddaughters in starting to do well too. This is somewhat worrisome, like maybe there is some a grassroots, ladies rebellion in the making that men do not know about.

I Enjoy shooting sports as it is both an art and a science. I particularly enjoy shooting bolt action rifles at long ranges. The precision and slower pace makes it easier for my autistic brain, not to say I don't also like skeet shooting:D.

You are very right about the cost of shooting and owning firearms. Luckily for me I have sitting the bottom drawer and sitting in the corner of my trailer. A bench top reloading press (it doesn't fit in the tool box), different sized crimpers for differant sizes of calibers, and the measure devices to pour the correct amount smokeless powder into the brass casing.

My maternal grandfather (also an Aspie) was a farmer/rancher in west Texas it goes without saying Firearms weren't uncommonly needed his occupation. Then when I moved into my trailer my granddad saw it as lifetime opportunity to clean out his shop to make room to his upgrade reloading station. that is why I own 70 pound all metal reloading press.

During the offseason when he wasn't raising cotton granddad was a gunsmith,gunmaker,cabinetmaker,mechanic,framer,welder,electrician,plumber,and farrier.

I've had some female relatives who were downright scary when it came to proficiency with firearms. :cool:

I have an extreme capability of recall and can put sets of images together to come to conclusions when doing engineering or repairs.

I have done some pretty important mechanical design and manufacturing work over the years that left a pretty hefty mark on this big old planet and I will just leave it at that.

:cool::cool::cool:

Pretty impressive! :)

How many of you think you know where you got your talents in vocabulary from? .... So how many of you think that you developed your exceptional vocabulary skills based on the fact that verbal communication is the only from of communication you're capable of doing (And in most cases, was the only form of communication you believed ever existed at the time.)? ... What do you guys think of this theory/hypothesis?

I have no idea where my large vocabulary came from. All I knew was that it often got me into trouble with my peers. I'd use a certain word that they thought was too "big," and then I'd be teased about it, or worse.

I certainly felt more comfortable with words. I used to have the hardest time reading people. I had to work hard to develop some skill in that area.

I think you may be on to something there! :)

My maternal grandfather (also an Aspie) was a farmer/rancher in west Texas ... when I moved into my trailer my granddad saw it as lifetime opportunity to clean out his shop to make room to his upgrade reloading station. that is why I own 70 pound all metal reloading press.

During the offseason when he wasn't raising cotton granddad was a gunsmith,gunmaker,cabinetmaker,mechanic,framer,welder,electrician,plumber,and farrier.

:cool::cool::cool: Cool !!!

Lucky you! Wish I had a reloader.

Sounds like your granddad had a lot of savant-type talents!

:cool::cool::cool: Cool !!!

Lucky you! Wish I had a reloader.

Sounds like your granddad had a lot of savant-type talents!

I enjoy my reloader very much, except once in the middle of the night I woke up since I needed to use the bathroom. So like I've done countless times before I got out of bed and took 2 1/2 steps to flip the light switch on, except I wasn't paying attention enough and I kicked the heavy steel base of my reloading press. I'm pretty sure the entire trailer park heard my deep subwoofer like voice and relatively heavy Texas accent scream vulgarity laced bloodymurder. My foot ached for a week afterwards. Since then I have moved the reloader to corner of the trailer and learned to be more mindful of my surroundings.:rolleyes:

New Threads

Top Bottom