• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Special Talent and Interests?

For me regarding taking in information, well I suck. Overstimulation and poor short term memory.
I'm only suspecting I have asd. Considering I never practice I'm good at drawing and other forms of art. I have a drive to draw now because I think, "Geez, imagine how good I'd be if I practiced!" Drawing is not fun for me though because I'm too hard on myself. Hmm, what else. Well I'm thankful to have the ability to appreciate nature and creatures considered creepy. To have to yell and flee at the sight of a mouse or a spider, well life would be hard... especially now. It seems like everything I end up loving, others don't like, so at least I'm here for those things, come 'ere, vinegar chips. None of my talents are really helping me right now, lol.

To the OP: Your question is way too broad! I have many talents and interests, some quite specific or unusual, so describing them all would both take far too long and be far too personal to share online with strangers. However if I restrict myself to my special interests throughout life...

In no particular order:
Dinosaurs (and to a lesser extant reptiles and reptilian monsters)
Monsters (biological oddities, fictional mutants, kaiju, pet monsters, yokai, cryptids, and legendary creatures)
Nintendo (literally anything and everything Nintendo)
Taxonomy and Entomology (the classification of lifeforms and the study of insects)
Philosophy (as an activity rather than a field of study, comparative philosophy)
Dogs (not specific breeds just dogs in general and by extension other canines)
Retro gaming (anything more than a generation behind the current consoles)
Religion (world religion, philosophy of religion, comparative theology)
Buddhism (specifically Theravada Buddhism) - when I was considering becoming a Buddhist
The Bible and Christianity - since becoming a Christian
Politics (societal responsibility, comparative politics, voting systems, constitutional government, political psychometrics, political synergy, natural rights theory, political theory, legal theory, political strategy, political reform)
Japanese media and culture
Human sex and sexuality (Christian sexual theology and morality, intersex conditions/sexual development, paraphilias/sexual psychology) - recent development, see below
My future romantic partner (who could be compatible with me, who I could find attractive, our romance and courtship, our engagement, marriage, and honeymoon, how we would have kids, our potential sex lives, how to keep the romance alive, what it would mean to grow old together - all about an unknown person I haven't even met yet) - recent development

Last edited:
My interests have been many and fleeting. My latest, which I haven't given up on completely but it definitely lost it's intensity after a few years, was collecting cut gemstones and studying the various properties. Particularly those with interesting inclusions. I even built a homemade specific gravity scale to help with identification. That led to an interest in stone setting (most of the jewellery my wife and I wear I set the stones and polished myself), which again, I haven't completely abandoned but I no longer have the momentum I once did with it.

As far as special talent, words (I taught myself to read at a young age and never forgot how to spell a word once I'd seen it written), finding patterns (such as the culture fair intelligence test type puzzles), and probably most significant to my daily life, I seem to be able to easily determine how things work, why they work, and what's wrong when they don't work. I've been working in property management for 13 years, and I've learned to diagnose and repair basically everything I'm legally allowed to work on without being certified, just by taking it apart and figuring it out. Before I realized I was probably autistic, it absolutely baffled me (and made me pretty angry many times), that my staff just didn't understand what to me seemed like the most basic repair jobs.

New Threads

Top Bottom