• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Some of My GIFs/Smileys Are Not Working...

I can't seem to get another image to post.
I may try removing my original later and give it another shot.

Log out, and purge your browser's cache before trying again. See if that makes a difference.

I cleared my Firefox cache and nothing has changed on my end.

I can see all images as they were supposed to appear,both moving and stills.

My Firefox was updated earlier today and I let Microsoft install what it wants each time.

I know it's not the .png format itself. They show up fine in the browser. But that proxy graphic does not.

I can see all the graphics posted in this thread, but I have the same issue with @Nitro's signature graphic described by @Judge:
Nitro's graphic in his signature still shows up as a broken image with the "X".
Broken even in other browsers.

I'm also wondering if I can't see it because I continually kill my cache with every session. Most users don't do that. If the image is corrupted but cached, maybe for those who didn't kill the cache it may still appear ok. Which might explain why you can't seem to replace the existing image.

But then I'm just guessing at this point.
I do this too, but since Nitro and Crossbeard noticed no difference after clearing their caches, the actual problem might rather be something else.

I use a laptop with Windows 7 and my standard browser is Firefox. It looks the same with Internet Explorer for me though.

It's an issue with proxy.php and I've noticed that all my existing images on previous threads that I've hosted at imgur.com are not working and I've tried other hosts that don't work either, they work if I upload them to this site because it doesn't use proxy.php, again all images work when previewing.

I suspect proxy.php is used for security because there is a type of vulnerability where a hacker can obtain any user's IP address on a forum just by them loading a page with a image on it that they're hosting, using proxy.php is likely to prevent this and it also prevents a remote host from potentially knowing where their images are being used, but at the moment there's an issue with it, it could be using a remote server to display images that is down, perhaps this proxy service is configurable in the forum's back end config? I don't know for certain because I've never used this particular forum system which is XenForo.

Here is an image hosted at imgur.com that previews just fine, doesn't work at the time of writing, but will work when the forum is fixed:

m4jhllR.png

WOW you fixed it LOL! Also just checked previous threads that haven't being displaying images for a week or so and they're working too. :)

Update: It's odd that Nitro's signature still isn't working at the time of writing however even though most are fixed, perhaps there's something different about this host or the URL.

Update 2: When I try to display @Nitro's signature using the image URL on my browser without proxy.php I get access denied at brandsoftheworld.com which is hosting it, if it's working for @Nitro alone then it could be because he's logged in at the remote site while everyone else obviously isn't, although proxy.php still won't display it. All the other images are now displaying for myself so I suspect it's just a remote host issue on this one image. To get the original image URL from the thread or signature itself you need to substitute some characters that are displayed as ascii hex in the link with a percentage sign before the hex, for instance "http://" is shown as "https%3A%2F%2F" without the quotes where "%3A" is ascii hex for ":" for instance, Linux has to encode special characters in URLs in this way to prevent them from being misinterpreted as code.

Last edited:
My HD image is a GIF I harvested a long time ago.

It was gathered so it was not oversized.

I'm fairly certain that I am not still logged onto the site it was gained from because it didn't require a log in to gather it.

It was gained from a Google image search by size search.

I cleared my cache and generally clean my cookies from time to time.
If I look at my signature on the admin area of this forum, I get this string:

brand.gif

It leads me to a dead end at http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/sit...nail/public/0013/2124/brand.gif?itok=LhT18yLa

Brands of the World.JPG

The GIF was originally a thumb nail, not the actual image from the site.

This is the string to the proxy php inside brackets so it can be displayed as it was gathered:

Edit: I actually can't display the real URL because it only gets rewritten as a link to the dead area from this page*
[ http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/sit...nail/public/0013/2124/brand.gif?itok=LhT18yLa ]
It displays like this when entered into the browser header:

hd full page.JPG

Perhaps there is an issue with a server or more that is causing the issues because members from differing areas get different results.

I personally have not had issues with images since Brent changed our image hosting software quite a while back when I had no choices to upload images and refused to use the Flash format.

For informational purposes, I am very near Morgantown,West Virginia USA and about 40 miles south of Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania.

I do not have access to the forum software beyond what is required to help police the forum, so I really can't offer very much information on it.
The software area is only available to those with super admin access due to the sensitive nature of it.

At best, we can only hope @Brent sees this and responds to it soon if it is in fact on our end.

Last edited:
In the OP, I can now see the rimshot smiley, but rolling pin is still a red x & blue box.

The JPEG in my bio is back, too.

Hi, I guess I'm having the same issue posting images on the site. As you can see from my posts here, the images just show up as blue squares with big red Xs, like many folks previously mentioned in this thread.

Maybe it's the same server issue popping up again or maybe I'm doing something wrong on my end? I haven't had much issue posting images until now. Thanks for any help. :)

Save the .gif to your computer then hit "Upload a File".
Yep that's the workaround if external URLs don't work because it uploads them to the site's server instead, but I don't know how much disk space they have in the long term if everyone does it indefinitely.

I noticed some images on external URLs were failing again a couple of days ago when I tried to embed one even though the links themselves were working perfectly raw, I'm not sure whether they're working again or not now, but it's appears to be one of those faults that keeps coming back like a bad smell.

Test of externally hosted image:

rBBP6v7.png

Yes, at the time of writing the image above isn't showing again, although it does show in the preview. @tree please let the relevant people know, I suspect it's an issue with proxy.php, it most likely uses this for external links to prevent a possible vulnerability where an external image host is able to discover a member's IP address, hence why it goes through a proxy instead, if it's using a 3rd party proxy service it's possible this service is down and is causing the issue to be intermittent when it goes offline and online if it's an unreliable service. Thanks!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom