• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Snazzycat

Hello all! I’m looking for some help from anyone with knowledge on learning resources - what I’m specifically hoping to find are videos of people talking and interacting from start to finish.
Studying conversation and cues have been of great help to me in the past as far as learning how best to interact with others goes. I’m not diagnosed with autism, but my family suspects it (my psychiatrist says no need for testing even if so though because I function well). I am diagnosed with anxiety and ocd. I understand some physical cues, facial expressions, and how to make my way through general conversation, but I know I’m missing something. I feel like I’m overall doing ok in conversation right now, but need to learn more about responding to others, conversation starters, and how to keep conversations going. Watching videos is helpful to me because I’m able to figure out what emotions, reactions, etc., go with what people are saying.
If anyone has any resources I’d appreciate it! Tv is helpful, but because it’s only parts of conversation and not full interactions, I haven’t learned all that I need to. Thanks in advance :)

Hello all! I’m looking for some help from anyone with knowledge on learning resources - what I’m specifically hoping to find are videos of people talking and interacting from start to finish.
Studying conversation and cues have been of great help to me in the past as far as learning how best to interact with others goes. I’m not diagnosed with autism, but my family suspects it (my psychiatrist says no need for testing even if so though because I function well). I am diagnosed with anxiety and ocd. I understand some physical cues, facial expressions, and how to make my way through general conversation, but I know I’m missing something. I feel like I’m overall doing ok in conversation right now, but need to learn more about responding to others, conversation starters, and how to keep conversations going. Watching videos is helpful to me because I’m able to figure out what emotions, reactions, etc., go with what people are saying.
If anyone has any resources I’d appreciate it! Tv is helpful, but because it’s only parts of conversation and not full interactions, I haven’t learned all that I need to. Thanks in advance :)
Have you tried looking up youtubers who collaborate with other youtubers on topics that interest you? Without knowing what kinds of conversations you would like listening to, I'm a little hesitant to suggest things.
I listen to autistic content creators talking to other autistic people on a variety of topics, is that something you'd find helpful ? There are a lot that talk about different aspects of being on the spectrum, and it can be in interview question asking, but it's also often just an interesting conversation about things they have in common, as well as asking questions.
It just depends on what kind of things you are interested in talking about and asking other's about.
When it comes to keeping conversations going, asking people about their interests and hobbies and past times often seems to go down well. People often enjoy talking about themselves and especially if you can get them talking about what they like doing.

The book Cues is helpful. Not the best and the "science" is so-so, but it does have good insights about non-verbal communication.

The bonus material on the website has videos.

In my experience, these things tend to be nearly useless. Most of the ones I've seen look to be made by NTs for NTs. All seem to be fairly generic, even the few made by autistics for autistics. This is pretty much necessary. The problem is, in order to be effective, the lessons need to be customized for the individual. The lessons need to address the reasons for the lack of social understanding, not just give information. For a while I had a "social coach" I was paying to teach social understanding. She kept trying to explain, for example, what different positions of body language meant. This never worked because, despite repeated explanations, I was unable to even recognize there even WAS a body language being expressed. Until that happened (and it never did), explanations of what it meant were meaningless. When someone comes up and hugs me, after a second or two, I hug back. Not because I understand what is happening or getting a message, but simply because I am told that is what I am supposed to do. It is, from my perspective, usually meaningless.

New Threads

Top Bottom