• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Smokers

I smoked for 40 years. Nicotine is a very addictive drug. But it seemed to help with my anxiety. I finally switched to E-cigerettes a few years ago. Still bad, but not as bad.

Yes, sorry I didn't address that. I realise it is an appetite suppressant, but I don't believe that is anywhere near the main reason why obesity levels have been rising over past decades.

I think in many cases people are using food to replace other addictions and tobacco might be at the head of that list. I know of people who experienced significant weight gain after quitting smoking.

I started smoking when I was around 8 years old in the 1970s. Smoking was ubiquitous. Restaurants, offices, elevators, airplanes, church halls, etc. I'm very glad I quit twenty years ago.

I think in many cases people are using food to replace other addictions and tobacco might be at the head of that list. I know of people who experienced significant weight gain after quitting smoking.

Happy Birthday, Ez!

I smoked for 40 years. Nicotine is a very addictive drug. But it seemed to help with my anxiety. I finally switched to E-cigerettes a few years ago. Still bad, but not as bad.

I smoked many moons ago, too, @Tom . I recently tried vaping without nicotine and now I occasionally do that. To answer the question that may come - why would you? The answer is that even without the nicotine I find it somewhat relaxing (anxiety reduction). That may be because I WAS a smoker all those years ago.

(Edit: I thought I should come back and add I don't recommend taking up vaping. It still wouldn't be as good as finding some other method of getting by. I especially wouldn't recommend someone who'd never smoked before just taking it up. Sorry. I just wanted to be clear that I don't see it as being a completely safe alternative or anything.)

For those still smoking ciggarettes it sounds as though it's a safer bet to switch, even though at this stage we don't have the long term science. May be good way to wean yourself off altogether, too, if that's the ultimate goal.

Last edited:
I started smoking when I was around 8 years old in the 1970s. Smoking was ubiquitous. Restaurants, offices, elevators, airplanes, church halls, etc. I'm very glad I quit twenty years ago.
Wow, eight is so young. Congratulations on quitting. It's hard for most people and it's great not to have the 'dangers of ciggerettes' hanging over you head.

Ezra, you might be right re the weight gain after quitting. Though I still stand by my observations and knowledge of our changes in diet and food styles over the last decades as a separate issue.

Hey, Happy birthday! :)

I think it's a myth that kids were enticed to smoke back in the 60s

candy-cigarettes-300x250.jpg

I think it's a myth that
Ezra, you might be right re the weight gain after quitting. Though I still stand by my observations and knowledge of our changes in diet and food styles over the last decades as a separate issue.

Hey, Happy birthday! :)

My observations and knowledge of it is minimal.

Thanks!

I do not feel like eating after I smoke a cigar, due to nicotine being an appetite suppressant.

I do feel like eating after I smoke a joint, since cannabis indica is an appetite stimulant.

I never tried cigarettes, since I cannot financially support another addiction currently.

I do not feel like eating after I smoke a cigar, due to nicotine being an appetite suppressant.

I do feel like eating after I smoke a joint, since cannabis indica is an appetite stimulant.

I never tried cigarettes, since I cannot financially support another addiction currently.

Don't most people enjoy a smoke after a meal? That's when I light up. Follow a nice meal with a cup of coffee and some puffs on a little cigar.

This is certainly true. When my partner quit smoking, he gained a lot of weight. But this one case, I don't think that the cases of smokers quitting smoking would be enough to significantly affect the statistics for obesity in the population as a whole.

Don't most people enjoy a smoke after a meal?
Hmmm, no, I don't think so, though it might be true to say that smokers enjoy a smoke after a meal.

As for me, no, no way. I have never smoked, not even tempted to try. It stinks, and I always hated it as a kid. I mean, how is inhaling burning plant matter ever going to be a good idea? Our lungs weren't designed for this and it's asking for health problems.

Advertising: it's banned pretty much across the globe, but I can't help noticing that in just about every TV series and most movies, there is at least one character who smokes, and who is seen to be smoking on screen. Their smoking usually doesn't affect the plot in any way, and they don't have to write this into the script, and yet they do. I don't think this is coincidence.

I smoked from my late teens til my forties, not heavily but I definitely used it to help concentrate, when anxious, and to eat less. It was normal to smoke in cars, indoors and at work. After I gave up, I drank more wine.

However now I have very little alcohol and don't smoke, and I am starting to regulate my eating better and get more exercise, which I enjoy too. Think I m addicted to my Fitbit, but how bad's that? Replacing addictions with a less harmful substance works well for me, once I have cut down sufficiently.

I remember enjoying the liveries on racing cars, especially the F1 cars growing up. I didn't really pay much attention to the product they advertised - I was just drawn to the colours, patterns and designs.

Ed

Used to smoke for 15 years,quit with nicotine gum,which I chewed for 10 years,now I'm on regular gum,killing my teeth.

The thing is that the repetitive pattern of holding a cigarette and lifting it to your mouth and the deep breathing to inhale feels like reality or something

I mean I only started smoking due to sexual assault issues not being addressed causing unending panic attacks. If anyone has had true panic attacks where you are in pure flight or flight mode and you develop things like tunnel vision and acute hearing, these things are very scary and it’s like holding something in your hand and so on feels like reality and is an anxiety coping mechanism when one feels like they have lost their sanity, like maybe similar to repetive hand washing that can calm people with extreme anxiety down

I have so many frustrations resulted to same issue. I was a health fanatic before issue, then I end up smoking to deal with panic attacks because I do not know what else to do, then I quit, but basically same issue happens again and I do not know what else to do to manage anxiety and panic, so I get sucked into smoking again

It’s like a choice, but only a choice because it seems like the only option. It’s like if anxiety attacks and even panic attacks are constant and overwhelming to the point where reality no longer seems like reality, one can just reach in their pocket and handle something and breath in deeply and not look so strange pacing around smoking.

It’s not only hard to quit, it’s hard to find an alternative to deal with the original issue of overwhelming anxiety and panic

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom