• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Smokers

Camel cigarettes. The worst, most pungent cigarettes. Probably due to blended Latakia Turkish tobacco.

Animation always appealed to the youngest tier of their target audience. Get the kiddies hooked on nicotine as early as you can to bolster that bottom line and keep the shareholders happy.
They had Camel here in Romania too. It's probably a cause for why my mom and her brothers spent years in hospital trying to get cured of Pulmonary Tuberculosis as little kids. Ppl had smoking parties in the same room with them, even as babies. My smoking cousin recently got pneumonia.

Cigs kill your main immunity compound produced by the body. So leaves Covid and viruses a door for easy contamination. Especially the ones that settle in your lungs.

They are plant spawns from hell. I hope it doesn't start to be an idea a company thinks about to make cigs from poison ivy one day.

I wish people reverted to sports to cope with stress and issues instead of substance use. I can't understand that decision unless they wish to self harm so badly, which I have felt before.

When I have felt miserable like they show drunkards in the movies I drank water from a vodka glass pretending it was alcohol.

Last edited:
My dad smoked chainstyle for years in his car... he would bring home money from his business and put them in a paper bag on the floor of his car. On one occasion 1 bags with money accidentally went up in flames from a cigarette bud. :eek:

I was in the car.

I choose not to smoke due to the smells.

Yes, sorry I didn't address that. I realise it is an appetite suppressant, but I don't believe that is anywhere near the main reason why obesity levels have been rising over past decades.

Nicotine is an appetite suppressant and an stress management drug. Junk food is often eaten because people are stressed. I wouldn't be so sure that there isn't a causative effect: I've started vaping to help deal with stress (all the benefits of smoking with 1/20 the loss of life expectancy) and I've lost weight without even trying, even though I am under stress, haven't had time to exercise, and do normally stress eat. Smoking and vaping reduce individual appetite - and the effect this has on mass tastes might be very significant. If most of your population smoke, maybe they don't have a sweet tooth any more - mine is way down - and adding sugar to everything suddenly isn't such a great idea.

Last edited:
Nicotine is an appetite suppressant and an anti-stress drug. Junk food is often eaten because people are stressed. I wouldn't be so sure that there isn't a causative effect: I've started vaping to help deal with stress (all the benefits of smoking with 1/20 the loss of life expectancy) and I've lost weight without even trying, even though I am under stress, haven't had time to exercise, and do normally stress eat. Smoking and vaping reduce individual appetite - and the effect this has on mass tastes might be very significant. If most of your population smoke, maybe they don't have a sweet tooth any more - mine is way down - and adding sugar to everything suddenly isn't such a great idea.

There are probably research papers galore out there (and I have delved into many a subject before in that way) but I admit I don't have the time or the inclination for this topic. You make good points though, you've made a good case. And, as I mentioned before, I do know that smoking does suppress appetite. I'll keep my mind open - but for me the type and amount of food we eat having effects on us is a given, too.

My parents gave up smoking cold turkey together. And we had a lot of hard candy around to help keep their mouth busy. It worked. My first real boyfriend smoked, so l started then quit when l left him. (1 year). They were menthol, so it felt cool on my throat.

The army rations of cigs, some people believe this was to get a target market hooked and keep the cig companies in business. Like subterfuge marketing. This was a perfect target audience to get hooked to other substances.

Yes, sorry I didn't address that. I realise it is an appetite suppressant, but I don't believe that is anywhere near the main reason why obesity levels have been rising over past decades.
Yeah... A lot more time sitting in front of a screen. Games, blogging, bingeing on YouTube or music videos or anime or whatever. A zillion cable channels. Work is nothing but sitting at a screen for many millions as well. Manual labor is being eliminated by automation. The process actually began in the 50s when the boomers were babies. Since 1960 the average weight of an American male increased from around 166 pounds to 191 pounds. The average BMI (body mass index) was already on its way up in 1960. The change has only accelerated.

Compared to the past almost nobody does physical sports. For every sports or health enthusiast, there are ten couch potatoes. Seriously. How much less exercise do we get today than in the past? There's a remote for everything because we can't be bothered to get up to do anything. We hire out the yard work, the housekeeping, the light home repair, even walking the dog. Drive a few blocks instead of walking.

Food is a minute part of our expenses so we get to eat all want any time we want and exactly what we want. Can't be bothered to cook so we grab the fattest and most sugary prepared fast food we can find. We aren't designed for this. We are designed to be hunter-gatherers and farmers, always working for the next meal, always insecure about the possibility of famine. Today, even the poorest among us are packing on the pounds. Food-scarcity instincts do not serve us well in a time of limitless plenty and a lifetime spent in a chair. They lead to obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.

When I was a kid my mother told me about the starving children in India/China who would give anything to have the green beans that I loathed. If I had told her to please package them up and ship them to someone in India who actually needed them she would have exploded in anger and there'd be hell to pay, so I didn't. It was the "clean your plate" mentality of a depression-era generation who wasn't always sure of their next meal.

There are probably research papers galore out there (and I have delved into many a subject before in that way) but I admit I don't have the time or the inclination for this topic. You make good points though, you've made a good case. And, as I mentioned before, I do know that smoking does suppress appetite. I'll keep my mind open - but for me the type and amount of food we eat having effects on us is a given, too.

The type and amount of food are definitely critical. What I'm saying - to try to re-say it more clearly - is that the removal of a large population of smokers may have altered our food by creating a pro-sweetness bloc from what used to an anti-sweetness faction.

One interesting possibility is

https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/n...cts-of-smoking-and-alcohol-on-smell-and-taste

Though past studies by Doty and others blame smoking for disrupting the senses, this time, that wasn’t the case. “Interestingly,” he said, “there is some evidence that the bad habit of smoking may ultimately protect, to some degree, people’s sense of smell.”

That definitely alters which foods you'll enjoy.

...I'm pretty certain that there isn't large scale research on the impact of smoking on taste in food. Firstly because nutrition research is horribly underfunded, and secondly because research on positive effects of nicotine is taboo - partly because cigarette companies have a history of abusing such research. Eg

Is Nicotine All Bad?

Nicotine: It may have a good side - Harvard Health

Yeah... A lot more time sitting in front of a screen.

Has hardly any direct effect. See eg

Why you shouldn't exercise to lose weight, explained with 60+ studies

...Most of the calories you spend are basal - ie the ones to keep your body going. It's very hard to spend significantly more through exercise - and if you do, your appetite will increase. You should exercise moderately for all sorts of reasons, but the lack of it isn't the big driver of modern obesity.

Interestingly, a lot of the "research" showing otherwise was secretly funded by Coca Cola...

Coca-Cola Funds Scientists Who Shift Blame for Obesity Away From Bad Diets

The real problems are the lack of fibre in the modern diet and the excess of high available sugar - because the idea that a calorie is a calorie isn't true. The metabolic pathway for sugar is very nasty:

Slideshow: Surprising Things That Hurt Your Liver

...That includes high available "natural" sugar like that in orange juice.

Last edited:
Exercise is important for health. Properly done, it causes an uptick in your basal rest metabolism that lasts beyond the exercise itself. Your body preps itself for continued exertion, repairs all the damage you just did, and builds up new muscle fiber and capillary capacity.

Exercise doesn't necessarily cause weight loss but it does make you leaner than you would have otherwise been. Substituting muscle for fat is a way to fight obesity and won't show up on the scale. That's why BMI is more important than weight. However, BMI charts have been skewed by popular culture, so one shouldn't be strictly married to a number.

I have never found exercise to increase my appetite but rather to act as a suppressant. Weight lifting was good this way but cardiovascular exercise is better. Has to do with hormones and endorphins released during the activity. (Work out hard enough and you get runner's high.)The endorphins and enhanced blood circulation to the brain are also why exercise is very good for depression. A lot of people report their best thinking is done during a brisk walk.

As to calories burned by exercise... It is true there isn't a lot burned in any one exercise. But say you walk a mile a day on level ground. You might (depending on your weight) burn an additional 100 calories. Do that for 10 days and you've burned 1,000 calories. A pound of human fat tissue varies but is generally 3500 calories, so there goes a significant amount of fat. (It may not all immediately show up on the scale as increases in muscle mass may counteract it.) The many little burns add up to a significant burn over time. After you've done that mile for a few weeks, you'll probably kick it up to a couple of miles or maybe start going uphill. The rate of fat burn will increase.

Walking Calories Calculator by Distance Walked

The interesting thing is that the distance and the elevation gain are what is most important for weight loss. Faster does burn more calories because it is a less efficient mode of travel but not by a vast amount. (My knees won't take jogging so I'm stuck with walking.) OTOH, cardio fitness requires some sweat and breathlessness. Strength conditioning usually means some level of muscular exhaustion.

It is ironic that while the average person is getting fatter, the ideal body seems to be something with 6 pack abs, visible ribs, and high levels of muscular definition. Not an ideal many of us will achieve. It has been drifting that way that since the mid 20th century. Even though BMI has climbed consistently since 1960, lean was not always the aesthetic ideal in the past.

In reality, fat reserves are essential for dealing with stress, injury, and illness. And humans need some fat in their diet for proper nerve development. If you stop eating fat entirely, you will eventually die from it.

Weight loss and gain happen over a long time. If you are looking to lose more than a pound a week either you are morbidly obese or you are trying too hard.

Exercise is important for health. Properly done, it causes an uptick in your basal rest metabolism that lasts beyond the exercise itself. Your body preps itself for continued exertion, repairs all the damage you just did, and builds up new muscle fiber and capillary capacity.

No. Exercise in general doesn't do that, because your body doesn't take that damage you refer to. Serious physical training - properly planned HIIT, kettle bell swings, olympic lifts, etc - do. This not what most people mean by "exercise" - walking, jogging, etc! Some extremely atypical exercise may raise basal rate, yes. But it is atypical - and it will also rise appetite!

(Btw: I'm 5'10, 210lbs, and my muscle to fat ratio is so high that I sink in water: I know about basal rate, trust me...)

The best thing for weightloss is pure green coffee, and it actually decreases bp as opposed to black coffee, just like unfried tea which becomes green tea does have much less unhealthy effects than the other [i think that's white tea] . They also have less caffeine which by the way isn't whats responsible for energy boost in the Camellia Sinensis types tea research shows. Which really is great bc caffeine is unhealthy due to its side effects.

Green coffe had quite great results on studies involving obese people which haven't changed their diet or exercised on the duration of the tests.

Exercise improves pretty much everything, from mood to body function.

There are many things that may suppress appetite that have less dangerous side effects than cigs.

Btw vaping doesn't filter. Cigs are the best thing filter-wise from my extensive reading that you can smoke. But really out of all substances that are allowed for consumption cigs are the worst, particularly because they affect the lungs. You could better make tea if you're that interested in using it. Did you know smoking weed [although I don't support it] actually doesn't cause lung cancer as opposed to cigs? Tobacco is quite the problem, other smoked substances are better from that point of view.

The best type of exercise for weightloss is switching between maxed rapid and slow jogging.

Last edited:
Green coffe had quite great results on studies involving obese people which haven't changed their diet or exercised on the duration of the tests.

Not meaningful research, no:

Does green coffee bean extract work? A detailed review
..small sample sizes and short durations. These limitations mean that researchers do not know the true long-term effects of this supplement. Green bean coffee manufacturers have also sponsored some studies, which could make them biased.

This is actually a common trick scammers use: you carry out several small studies, and one is bound - sheerly by chance - to produce results that look good. You quote the results from that study and junk the others. (Drug companies do this too: it should be made illegal.)

Btw vaping doesn't filter.

Yes... That would be because filters are for removing tar. Which vape smoke doesn't contain. Complaining that a vape doesn't have a filter is like complaining an electric car doesn't have an exhaust, or that you're not given a parachute when travelling by train. Also my cat never learned to bark, and my slip-on shoes came without any laces...

Last edited:
They eventually banned advertising for it here in the US as well, but I think that fact was bound to come up sooner or later. It's a relic of the past now and some of the advertising campaigns were about what you'd expect given the time.

As a vaper and former smoker, I say the best way to quit is to never start. It has its benefits and nasty downsides, both of which you'll reap over time.

...That definitely alters which foods you'll enjoy.

...I'm pretty certain that there isn't large scale research on the impact of smoking on taste in food. Firstly because nutrition research is horribly underfunded, and secondly because research on positive effects of nicotine is taboo - partly because cigarette companies have a history of abusing such research. Eg

That is an interesting, separate, point to the one I believe re the nature of many current foods and their health effects.

They eventually banned advertising for it here in the US as well, but I think that fact was bound to come up sooner or later. It's a relic of the past now and some of the advertising campaigns were about what you'd expect given the time.

As a vaper and former smoker, I say the best way to quit is to never start. It has its benefits and nasty downsides, both of which you'll reap over time.
You're still vastly better off vaping than smoking. All vaping does is administer doses of nicotine. Nicotine is not the devil but it will jack your blood pressure to unsafe levels and put you at risk for stroke. It can also narrow capillaries and arteries and force the heart to work much harder than it ought to and with less oxygen to do it with. It is a CNS stimulant that mimics an increase in adrenaline. A PITA to try to break the habit but my father did, as did my mother-in-law, my father-in-law, and my wife.

Methamphetamine is the ultimate devil.

Not meaningful research, no:

Does green coffee bean extract work? A detailed review
..small sample sizes and short durations. These limitations mean that researchers do not know the true long-term effects of this supplement. Green bean coffee manufacturers have also sponsored some studies, which could make them biased.

This is actually a common trick scammers use: you carry out several small studies, and one is bound - sheerly by chance - to produce results that look good. You quote the results from that study and junk the others. (Drug companies do this too: it should be made illegal.)

Yes... That would be because filters are for removing tar. Which vape smoke doesn't contain. Complaining that a vape doesn't have a filter is like complaining an electric car doesn't have an exhaust, or that you're not given a parachute when travelling by train. Also my cat never learned to bark, and my slip-on shoes came without any laces...

Thank goodness my lace less shoes don't make me trip.

There are toxic chemicals in vape stuff, and an array of health risks that you cannot filter with your lungs alone. I would however question the health of your organs after filtering ot, too, though at least it's less sensitive and more effective to clear the food you would ingest.
www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/5-truths-you-need-to-know-about-vaping%3famp=true

Health Risks of E-cigarettes, Smokeless Tobacco, and Waterpipes

'fda has not approved vaping as a way to quit smoking'. It's not a trusted thing and it has proven to be harmful to people, even killing them. I would rather take a shower and vape on my skin and filth, I don't roll in tobacco and unapproved chemicals at least, but it depends what I use to wash my skin too, even approved stuff can be sometimes harmful, and so can natural things. Some labels say Paraben free but it contains compounds that cause cancer and health disturbances...

Last edited:
... 'Exposure to the same toxins as cigarettes but in higher quantities. Waterpipe smoke contains high levels of many toxic compounds found in cigarettes. These include carbon monoxide, heavy metals, and chemicals linked to cancer.'

I wouldn't suggest this as a cure to other people because:

How Smoking and Nicotine Damage Your Body

I thought it' s common knowledge but here we go:

'Nicotine is a dangerous and highly addictive chemical. It can cause an increase in blood pressure, heart rate, flow of blood to the heart and a narrowing of the arteries (vessels that carry blood). Nicotine may also contribute to the hardening of the arterial walls, which in turn, may lead to a heart attack.'

Harmful effects of nicotine

' There is an increased risk of cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal disorders. There is decreased immune response and it also poses ill impacts on the reproductive health. It affects the cell proliferation, oxidative stress, apoptosis, DNA mutation by various mechanisms which leads to cancer. It also affects the tumor proliferation and metastasis and causes resistance to chemo and radio therapeutic agents. The use of nicotine needs regulation.'

'Tobacco is the leading cause of preventable cancers.'

Do regulate it instead of suggesting it.

Last edited:
The Use of Green Coffee Extract as a Weight Loss Supplement: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomised Clinical Trials

'It is concluded that the results from these trials are promising, but the studies are all of poor methodological quality. More rigorous trials are needed to assess the usefulness of GCE as a weight loss tool.'

You're right, it's not the most reliable herbal thing. Id probably consider ginger and turmeric based on these exsmples of studies which i have taken for fertility, stomach issues and blood cholesterol control.

13 Herbs That Can Help You Lose Weight

But fda has some chems approved for long term use which i would probably consider if i needed more weightloss. They might be much more effective.

New Threads

Top Bottom