• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Silly Things That You Were Afraid Of When You Were Nine...

1. Vincent Price horror movies of the 50's-70's. Edgar Allan Poe stories. The House of Wax.

2. Deep and/or fast moving water. I grew up in Michigan,...the Great Lakes,...St. Clair River. Deep dark, cold water. Cracking ice in late Winter, early Spring. Still a fear.

Global warming/climate change. I first heard about it when reading a science magazine when I was eight (I pestered my dad to subscribe) and it caused me severe anxiety making it difficult for me to sleep.

I am just as afraid of it now, but stay outwardly calmer as I have accepted the end of human civilization in my lifetime and that I will likely perish with it.

Not silly at all, I know, but other people certainly thought it was.

A more silly one is that I was genuinely afraid of the unluck that would follow me if I broke a mirror or walked under stairs. However, that was when I was 11-12 so that might not count either.

Global warming/climate change. I first heard about it when reading a science magazine when I was eight (I pestered my dad to subscribe) and it caused me severe anxiety making it difficult for me to sleep.

I am just as afraid of it now, but stay outwardly calmer as I have accepted the end of human civilization in my lifetime and that I will likely perish with it.

Not silly at all, I know, but other people certainly thought it was.
I am 100% afraid of the same thing.

Growing up is the winner, winner, chicken dinner.

What I was so dreading and afraid of was how my body would change when I started
periods and growing boobs.

I also had the idea in my head that at a certain age, girls had to get married!
No interest in boys, so that was a really scary thought.

At night I thought little Trolls were mining and working under my bed.
They only came to life at night. Trolls, hmmm.

Wolves.

I also resonate with some of the things posted here, but the fear of wolves is funny. I grew up in a busy city, and the only animals I saw were dogs, cats, and some birds. Would not have a chance of seeing a wolf in real life, but I was afraid one would sneak into my room at night.

I immediately thought....That's a good idea for a thread.

Sadly I have deficient autobiographical memory. So I can't contribute.

Dead ends.

Dead end translates to "street that doesn't lead anywhere in my language. I always had a visual image of a wall closing behind me when i thought of dead ends, so basically you become trapped where you are

There is one thing I found very creepy as a small child, like shook me to my core.

It was a show with Vampires.

Not actual vampires. (Thought they were kinda scary too.)

Puppet vampires.

E.G. stuff like this:

il_794xN.1696293028_emxg.jpg

il_794xN.2198788396_og3j.jpg

But not Sesame Street. I enjoyed that. This was a British children show.

I found 'Spitting Image' mildly disturbing as well.

9 was when I saw Waterworld in the cinema. It triggered a long running fear of end of the world scenarios that peaked when I was in 6th form college, but it's something that had caused a lot of high anxiety, despair and depression for many years.

Eventually I came to terms with being powerless. But those fears included:

• Rising sea levels
  • Asteroids (Deep Impact & Armageddon terrified me)
  • Aliens (Independence Day - a lot of cinema messed me up)
  • Grey goo (self-replicating nanotechnology)
  • Supervolcanic eruptions
  • Killer viruses being released - I forget the name of the very depressing Hollywood film about such a thing.
  • Zombies were obviously depressing too, whilst a little unlikely I could still convince myself now and again it'd happen.
  • Carrington Class Supernova - interestingly enough a solar flare stronger than the above narrowly missed earth in 2012. So ye olde prediction of the end of the world could've been true if it had hit and wiped out/fried electronics on earth.

I also found out about many end of the world dates before they were to occur - and spent each one of those days in a state of panic.

Asides from that - there was a TV show in UK called "Strange But True" and it dealt with ghosts, aliens and had re-enactments. I recall one which was about the "Enfield Poltergeist" which was one of the most famous paranormal cases in the UK. When the dramatisation showed furniture moving on it's own - that idea terrified me to the core and I spent many a night struggling to sleep - convincing myself something in my room would move of it's own accord.

I did have a recurring dream/sleep walking episode as a child where I'd run out my room and wake up half way through running down the stairs. My parents were often awake, in the living room which is next to the stairs and would ask if everything was ok.

One time, before I went to bed I noticed a glove on top of my chest of drawers which was at the foot of my bed. I got it into my head that it would throw itself at me by unforeseen hands.

Thing is - I had a dream that this happened, and it triggered me to run out the room, down the stairs and again, I woke up half way down the stairs.

I go back into my room, and the glove is on my bed.

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans. I still have no explanation for how that happened, and it was one of the spookiest things to have ever happened to me.

I guess it's a little off topic for "silly things" to be afraid of. But when I look back on how many years I wasted on "what if" worries - it's kind of surprising I ended up doing a similar thing with health anxiety for half a decade as well.

A vivid imagination is great for creative hobbies and ventures, but it's humbling when you turn that creativity towards fears, worries and predictions.

Ed

Asides from that - there was a TV show in UK called "Strange But True" and it dealt with ghosts, aliens and had re-enactments. I recall one which was about the "Enfield Poltergeist" which was one of the most famous paranormal cases in the UK. When the dramatisation showed furniture moving on it's own - that idea terrified me to the core and I spent many a night struggling to sleep - convincing myself something in my room would move of it's own accord.

Yeah I watched that show. One of my favourites. I enjoyed it though. I would listen to ghost stories from family members, I reveled in it. (Actual unexplained encounters they recalled...like mysterious visitations.) I loved that kinda stuff.

Nightmares... I had plenty as a kid. Just my overactive imagination. Grim reapers, Freddy Kruger, Dracula, demonic jokers. Indescribable monsters, that fit no description. Family in Zombie form. Ominous alien-like encounters, humanoid forms, abductions. Lol , sounds like I was a disturbed kid.

Many of the things others have said, plus 2 strange ones:

• Inmortality, I mean real inmortality. How about still being here after the sun had exploded. Alone in the cool darkness unable to breath for thousands of years but unable to die...
  • Antigravity. Sudendly gravity starts working in the opposite way so we get out of the planet, the planet itself turn to dust... as it expands...
Nice thread. :D

Okay, this is probably a really weird one :oops:

When I was in 4th or 5th grade, around the time I first started having periods and was in a training bra, I was convinced that all girls somehow became pregnant when they reached adulthood, without male intervention. Like immaculate conception, I guess.

I didn’t know what sex was at that age, and I still, to this day, haven’t had much in the way of a formal sex education (which is probably why I ask a lot of stupid questions on here about things that are going on with my body that are probably totally normal lmao)

So I spent the later part of elementary school and the beginning of middle school terrified that I was going to randomly wake up one day and be pregnant, for no reason. I don’t know why the thought of it was so terrifying but it ruined my life for a while (I was afraid of a similar thing when I was in college, which contributed to me suffering from body dysmorphia and anorexia.)

I’m still terrified of being pregnant but I have no rational explanation for why it’s a phobia that I have.
I used to be afraid of being fat, but that ship has obviously sailed :confused:

I was terrified of getting married because I heard that men usually die before their wives. I was scared that my husband would die in our house and I wouldn't know what to do with the body, or how to get it out of the house.

The space around and under my bed. Jumping off of it to get into the light---quite a feat from a bottom bunk.
Falling through the ice when ice skating and freezing to death while drowning.
The Bermuda Triangle.
Being abused.
"Kid Traps" (which are any metal gratings in the sidewalk or any metal that I had to walk on).
Escalators. I thought my feet would get caught and I would be ground up like hamburger.
Revolving Doors.
Being pulled backwards on a chair.
Being kidnapped by gypsies that were in the area.
Even though I'm an adult, many of these still raise my anxiety

At nine years of age? That's easy....lol. Mind your "Tingler" ! :eek:

Last edited:
There was a Halloween episode of Little House on the Prairie where Laura sees a man chop his wife's head off with an axe. I shut the TV off and ran to hide, never seeing the conclusion of the show.

I tracked it down a few years ago, and discovered he chopped the head off a mannequin which his wife was using to sew a dress. It wasn't his wife's head; she was fine, and they all lived happily ever after.

So much for the forty years of nightmares it gave me.

There was a Halloween episode of Little House on the Prairie where Laura sees a man chop his wife's head off with an axe. I shut the TV off and ran to hide, never seeing the conclusion of the show.

I tracked it down a few years ago, and discovered he chopped the head off a mannequin which his wife was using to sew a dress. It wasn't his wife's head; she was fine, and they all lived happily ever after.

So much for the forty years of nightmares it gave me.

LOL. Laura's (Melissa Gilbert's) real nightmare was when on rare occasion she would forget her lines. :eek:

Something her screen father (and boss/series co-creator) Michael Landon did not tolerate. Though Landon himself had a pretty rough time as a teenager: :oops:

Last edited:
I always Skipped Little House on the Prairie. It came on , after Bewitched and Batman,they were my favorites. In that particular programming block. 90's Uk TV.

Let me see, What did I fear.....I guess spiders. I feared arachnids. I thought Arachnophobia (1990) was a very disturbing movie. Yet exciting!

I was afraid of battery acid. I had nightmares where acid would eat away my hands and things like that.

New Threads

Top Bottom