• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive to pet noises and I have pets...

Tyrone

I have a sensitivity to many sounds but the worst are the sounds that cats and dogs make...I have cats and dogs. When my cats meow to demand something from me, or when my dogs whine really hurts my head and ears.

One of my dogs (german shepherd lab mix) barks excessively and has a very noisy whine mixed in with his bark that is like an air horn going off next to my head unexpectedly. Like these sounds cause my adrenaline to rush and I get pretty upset about it and at my pets.

My other dog (siberian husky) she almost never barks and if she does its only because the other wont play, because he just sits and stares all day looking for stuff to bark at. (I dont think he's all the way there sometimes) but when my husky barks it doesn't bother me its just the shepherd that bothers me.

I've tried training him, using a tie down to keep him from the fence, a spray bottle, and a bark correction collar. He just doesn't care and barks all the time anyway. I need a solution because I don't want to abandon him because we saved him from a family that didnt care about him and only fed him hotdogs, he was malnourished when we got him and was only a few months old(years ago). However everyday is a mess and my head is scrambled by these noises.

Sorry this is so long..I really need help though and nothing i find online helps as far as correcting the problem. literally every website i see blames the human for ANY dog behavior.

I have a sensitivity to many sounds but the worst are the sounds that cats and dogs make...I have cats and dogs. When my cats meow to demand something from me, or when my dogs whine really hurts my head and ears. One of my dogs (german shepherd lab mix) barks excessively and has a very noisy whine mixed in with his bark that is like an air horn going off next to my head unexpectedly. Like these sounds cause my adrenaline to rush and I get pretty upset about it and at my pets. My other dog (siberian husky) she almost never barks and if she does its only because the other wont play, because he just sits and stares all day looking for stuff to bark at. (I dont think he's all the way there sometimes) but when my husky barks it doesn't bother me its just the shepherd that bothers me.

I've tried training him, using a tie down to keep him from the fence, a spray bottle, and a bark correction collar. He just doesn't care and barks all the time anyway.

I need a solution because I don't want to abandon him because we saved him from a family that didnt care about him and only fed him hotdogs, he was malnourished when we got him and was only a few months old(years ago).

However everyday is a mess and my head is scrambled by these noises. Sorry this is so long..I really need help though and nothing i find online helps as far as correcting the problem. literally every website i see blames the human for ANY dog behavior.

if you look at German Shepard they are bred to guard and alert im afraid and Lab well they have allot of energy same as do german Shepard so what i first belive is that you need to find a way for youre dogs to get more exercise as it sounds to me youre german /Lab is under stimulated. And also im afraid the webbsites are right it IS usely the humans that caused this problem

This said im NOT blaming you. All im saying is you need to (and dog owners in general ) try to understand what dogs are and how they work and what helps them not developing this undisireble behaviors. SO as you say you have this problem with a dog that barks to much you should try to go to professional dog trainer.

What i belive the dog is doing is he`s /her job what he /she was bred for guarding said yard. and alerting the flock and scare away intruders

Tieing down wont work (as you seen ) only increse the stress as said dog cant do its ord job (guarding the yard and with its bark it s goal is to alert you and the flock and also scare of the intruder from its teritory

& Spray bottle will only increase the dogs stress as the dog havent a clue why youre punish it

From what youre telling (and i have had multible rescue /problem and relocation dogs ) the dog is under stimulated (ie it needs to get ALLOT of exercise + even more LOVE and guidance and support from a CALM assertive pack leader ie YOU ) SO as i sence this dog havent had ANY guidance in the past on how to behave and so on so it needs to be toght in a CALM NON punicheble way how to behave and above all ALLOT of exercise. (i had more then a few of this un trained young dogs and i can tell you it CAN be done getting this dogs to become good dogs so to say BUT it WILL take ALLOT of work from the owner. )

Reg the sencetivity for animal sounds im afraid that if the docs cant get you some help for this you need to try to find a way to cope with this as dogs do bark as do cats with having its sounds. And if thats not achieveble & youre sufering this mush im afraid my best advice is find a new good home for them as you cant continue this way.

Last edited:
Do you have your dogs indoors or outside? I have a dog, a labrador, that barks, but not too much. She only ever barks outside but not indoors, so if she barks outside I bring her in and she stops.

It's not fair to punish/discipline a dog for barking, and it has little effect anyway because it's their instinct to bark to defend their territory, warn or get attention, and German shepherds do bark lot. It's neither their fault, not the human's fault. The best way IMO to deal with it is to remove the dog from the stimulus for the barking if possible. Otherwise, earplugs or having a quiet room where the animals aren't allowed to enter to disturb you. Around my house there are a lot of families with noisy dogs, so I use a room at the back of the house to work in where they disturb me less.

I have a sensitivity to many sounds but the worst are the sounds that cats and dogs make...I have cats and dogs. When my cats meow to demand something from me, or when my dogs whine really hurts my head and ears.

One of my dogs (german shepherd lab mix) barks excessively and has a very noisy whine mixed in with his bark that is like an air horn going off next to my head unexpectedly. Like these sounds cause my adrenaline to rush and I get pretty upset about it and at my pets.

My other dog (siberian husky) she almost never barks and if she does its only because the other wont play, because he just sits and stares all day looking for stuff to bark at. (I dont think he's all the way there sometimes) but when my husky barks it doesn't bother me its just the shepherd that bothers me.

I've tried training him, using a tie down to keep him from the fence, a spray bottle, and a bark correction collar. He just doesn't care and barks all the time anyway. I need a solution because I don't want to abandon him because we saved him from a family that didnt care about him and only fed him hotdogs, he was malnourished when we got him and was only a few months old(years ago). However everyday is a mess and my head is scrambled by these noises.

Sorry this is so long..I really need help though and nothing i find online helps as far as correcting the problem. literally every website i see blames the human for ANY dog behavior.
Wow. Amazing you had the courge to have pets. I had a cat from Heaven Itself and was not able to handle its rubbing and rubbing. I felt so bad when I had to return it. But it went to a very loving home from whence it came.

Barking is part of a dog's makeup. If l don't like a dog's bark, l can't own it. So some small dog's pitch of barks does bother me.

Guess you need to think what is best for you and the dog. Do you have toys that it enjoys playing ? Does it exercise outside? Some dogs can be trained to do treadmill so that will give some great workout. Can you provide more stimulation? And of course it may have zero effect. I like have a quiet room and ear plugs or think of a possible new home for your pet?

I am this way about voices too. If your pitch of your voice gets on my nerves, ouch. Lol

Last edited:
To be totally blunt, you're looking to the wrong source for advice on this one. This forum is not the place to go for it.

You need to talk to people who are qualified experts on dog/cat behavior. As in, professionals.

Both dogs and cats can absolutely be trained. Even older ones. But if you're looking on the bloody internet of all places, all you're going to hear are a million different ideas from people that THINK they've mastered training, but havent. OR, people that HAVE mastered training... for their extremely specific pets. What works with MY dog, might only make YOUR dog worse.

As it is, based on your mention of things you've tried, it sounds like you're just pulling "solutions" at random and hoping each will work. That's not going to help. It only confuses the poor animals more. If you want pets that act out EVEN MORE.... that's a fast track towards achieving that.

Seriously. Actual professional advice, from actual professional trainers, that's the only way to go. And then actually apply that advice CORRECTLY. Advice is great and all, but if you yourself screw up the application, it's all meaningless. Alot of pet owners seem to not quite grasp that (and then they blame the animals, because of course they do).

And then, even once you do get the advice and apply it properly, you have to KEEP DOING IT. You cant do it for like a month, slack off, and then wonder why the pet is acting up.

Really though, this just isnt the place for it. Neither is.... pretty much any other part of the internet.

WELL spoken indeed Misery i agree 101 % and just to be clear i also took help from a professionell dog trainer with one of my VERY LARGE , Compleatly un trained from a puppy (had been free to do as it wanted out on the country side )1,5 years old (they had to leave him as they couldent cope anymore with him anymore (HUH go figure ??? :confused: ). It took ALLOT of hard consistent work BUT i made it and he was a GREAT dog and WELL behaved at the end :cool:

Reg the internet yes all that is out here are individual views and i can guarntee you (and this goes for reel life as well ) that for every pet owner you ask you will get a different anwer each time and pretty mush there are MANY so called self proclaimed experts out there

And NO in no way shape or form do i view my self as a dog or cat (had multible cats as well (also relocation) expert im only talking based on my own experince and what i learnt ;)

@Misery - Anything you read on the internet is true. Lol

Great advice here. A lot of animals can be trained. I owned a sweet little dog who was extremely smart. Sadly, l knew l couldn't keep her because marriage life was going bad. I could not pad train her. So l came up with a humane way to train her but it took a half a year. I was worried that she would suffer abuse by a angry owner if she peed anywhere she wanted. Finally, l trained her. And she went to a nice lady. And l heard back a couple months later, the owner was very happy. I did it on my own. I almost gave up but she deserved a nice home.

Last edited:
I appreciate the tips but I cant help but feel my autism was not taken into consideration that's the main problem here. I understand dogs bark and cats meow, its my sensitivity to it that's the problem and having found out I was autistic well after having the pets doesn't help. I won't lie I felt a little attacked instead of guided here as Im doing my best for my situation but I guess when it comes to animals people truly care more for the animal than the person (I care more for the person in any situation but thats just me) I've tried headphones and a quiet room but my house isn't very large and all m windows are basically in my backyard (where the dog is) he doesn't bark inside but whimpers to go outside and I also have a sensitivity to that but oh well I guess its all my fault then back to the drawing board.

I guess the miscommunication here is I was asking for help for ME as I've had this dog for like 5 or 6 years and nothing has helped so i understand I can't change the dog from what it does and having PTSD as well the barking sets me off (startles). Morally I can't get rid of him I won't do that to him coming from the home he had, it was a lot worse (he was malnourished you could see his ribs and he was never let inside his poop was never cleaned up etc.) He does a good job guarding the house.

Last edited:
I appreciate the tips but I cant help but feel my autism was not taken into consideration

that's the main problem here. I understand dogs bark and cats meow, its my sensitivity to it that's the problem

and having found out I was autistic well after having the pets doesn't help.

I won't lie I felt a little attacked instead of guided here as Im doing my best for my situation but I guess when it comes to animals people truly care more for the animal than the person (I care more for the person in any situation but thats just me)

I've tried headphones and a quiet room but my house isn't very large and all m windows are basically in my backyard (where the dog is) he doesn't bark inside but whimpers to go outside and I also have a sensitivity to that

but oh well I guess its all my fault then back to the drawing board.

I guess the miscommunication here is I was asking for help for ME as I've had this dog for like 5 or 6 years and nothing has helped so i understand I can't change the dog from what it does and having PTSD as well the barking sets me off (startles).

Morally I can't get rid of him I won't do that to him coming from the home he had, it was a lot worse (he was malnourished you could see his ribs and he was never let inside his poop was never cleaned up etc.) He does a good job guarding the house.

We all have Autism dear.

And that is why we all say you need to try to find some way to be able to cope with this problem

Having this diagnose is indeed a burden for many of us and thats why we need to try to find ways to cope and adapt to said problems.

NOONE is blaming you. All we are doing is to try our best to explain how animals work. so please do NOT feel atacked. And we all understand that you are doing youre best with what you belive is the right way (belive i made TONS of mistakes with my dogs and cats over the years BUT as i learnt i could also change what i did wrong)

First try to calm down and lets Review shall we ? You tried both headphones as well as quiet room and that has failed . Okey have you tried contacting the docs so that they can perhaps help find a solution to this ? to me it seems its not the animals that causing this problem as its more youre over sencetivity to certain high pitch /strong sounds in general SO if you contact the docs maybe they can help find some way of reducing this problem.

i understand the problem in youre house isent very big. again with the windows if the dog gets trigerd and whimpers to go outside by seing intruders outside when inside (again thats the guardian traits that this breeds are made for )

Can you

A perhaps let the dog be outside more (and again MORE exercise with you

B regarding the windows can you blind them so the dog dont get the opertunety so see out when inside (ie reduce the stress in the dog having to feel it is its deaty to guard the windows so that its flock is safe (ie you and the other dog ) From what youre desribing the windows are a trigger that stresses the dog to guard and so he /she cant relax even inside as it is stil in the dogs mind that he /she needs to guard the flock and its teritory (youre home and yard ) . remove that posibility to do so by standing at the window and be able to look out should make the dog more able to relax when home and inside.

What you have to count in here with this relocation dogs is that they have there own bagage with them and thats something that will remain so until you as the owner (with help if needed) can help the dog to change said behavior according to how it should be)

From what you have said i would be willing to bet that this dog is very nervous, insecure of it self and pretty much try as best as he /she can do & what have worked in the past.

Pets (dogs cats ) are pretty mush like small children they need to have somone to teach them how to behave and what is okey and what is not. In nature thats the mom and dad dog or cat and in this case its us the owners that have that job.

NOONE said its all youre fault dear so again lets try to relax and take a few breaths here and see if we cant find some cind of solution

Reg outside is it possible to block the view to the street ? Again same method if you remove the posibility for the dog to see out and as its obvius the dog being trigerd by all that goes around on the street and in the dogs mind needs to be dealt with.

Reg youre other dog the reason that one dont bark and guard is that they are more close to the original (ie wolf ) and they are NOT bred for guarding they are bred for pulling sleads in the Yukon (and Siberia =Siberian Husky )

Again NOONE is attacking you and we all try our best to help and we have given you many diffent advices. 2 of them seems to not work so then there are the other ones to concider.

The cats im afraid you cant do much about them as they will make them self heard from time to time

Thats were youre wrong you CAN change the dog BUT it will most likely need a professional to help with this. PTSD is indeed not helping in this case BUT again with the proper aid im more then shore it CAN be dealt with.

WELL spoken i compleatly understand and THATS how a GOOD owner talk . Now all we need to do is find a way to help this dog & you the owner. Im like you i cant just give up on any animal & i often go WAY and beyound what others would do for there pets.

Like i said this CAN be corected so DONT give upp BUT you need to accept you need HELP both with the dog and also with youre self (with this hearing iccues )

Last edited:
Sorry. I am in no way attacking you, so l feel terrible you took it this way. Think it's great you rescued this dog. And l can understand your noise issues. This is definitely a tough situation. May you find some type of answer here. A lot of dogs are trained to let go of bad habits so this is excellent advice.

Sorry you are having such a hard time with the noises. It's kind of like the noises made by your spouse that make you want to shutter. :) Some dogs just bark and some dogs don't. I have one big dog that hardly ever barks, only if there's reason. My little dog barks at everything - anything that wasn't there before is going to get barked at. Yesterday a pillow was on the floor instead of the couch and he barked at it until I put it back. Maybe have other noise going to soften the suddenness of the bark. By the way, kids tend to do this, too - sudden high pitched loud shrills. lol Still gotta love them. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom