• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Resources for parents to deal with children's meltdowns that don't involve restraint

HDLSeanWiley

Follow Uncle Gadget, Brain!
When you're witnessing your child having a meltdown, it can be very tough to deal with, but restraints are not something you should use as a go-to method unless for very extreme circumstances, and even then several restraint methods are not okay. These are the go-to sources you should consider using per the Alliance Against Seclusion and Restraint.

If they're not hurting people or property, really the best thing to do is ignore it and pretend it's not happening. Not in a cruel way, but just let them have their moment.

Sometimes in school, having the child sit up by the teacher's desk helps a lot. They are in the front and can't see the rest of the class, and they have the teacher's help and support.

Or in some periods, perhaps they can do their schoolwork in the hallway or in the library.

If they're not hurting people or property, really the best thing to do is ignore it and pretend it's not happening. Not in a cruel way, but just let them have their moment.

Not a good idea. Restraints should be avoided whenever possible, but when a child is having a meltdown, they need someone to be there to let them know that everything is gonna be okay.

Not a good idea. Restraints should be avoided whenever possible, but when a child is having a meltdown, they need someone to be there to let them know that everything is gonna be okay.
Yes, absolutely, but what I'm saying is that sometimes if they're very overstimulated, they shut off the outside world, and are just inconsolable, as if they don't hear you. At these times, adults often resort to restraints, yelling, or even abuse because the child won't listen. If they aren't hurting anyone, just let them get it out of their system. Talk and touch might be too much for them. Later on, once the tears have flowed and they're quieter and more receptive, it's when you can have that comfort time.

Keep telling them that you love them and they are important to you....shift the brain from panic to safe. THe more they feel like they are bad, the worse it will be. Love, good, you matter, we are doing this together, you are not alone....etc.

I was told that l use to have meltdowns as a child.

My daughter had a tantrum once. I laid beside her. She got over it. I always had her close by me.

In my experience, on a similar subject, shutdowns should simply be waited out as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom