• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quiting Facebook

Jorg

Well, as the title says I want to quit Facebook for good, although it offers me the chance of connecting with friends in theory it just never happends in real life. I just unnistalled the app from my phone and plan to block it from my router.

Making a quick search I found a couple of (scientific) articles (among all the "news/garbage" sites) that have linked a decreased mental health in people who connect to FB/social networks often and I really think it is possible to be happier without fb, I mean I remember being a little happier when I didn't have any social network.

7 Ways Facebook Is Bad for Your Mental Health

5 Ways Quitting Facebook Will Improve Your Mental Health

I really want to quit facebook but I'm afraid this will be very hard to do, even quiting smoking is wayy easier for me, I mean I haven't smoked for at least a month and I don't feel like do ing it again but fb...well, I believe I waste like 4h/day in that sh**t.

Good luck!

I feel like Facebook and other "social media" (Twitter, Instagram, etc) are just time wasters and not much else. They do provide news but you honestly can get better and more factual news elsewhere. If you have friends on Facebook now- perhaps just text them on your phone or just get them on a messenger like Skype or Discord perhaps? Or good old email works too.

I only use Facebook to chat with a few people I don't see much. I rarely post on it and I feel like it's an emergency contact type of thing. Plus Facebook and other sites are popularity contests- people obsess over likes, friends and so on.. which becomes so sickening in my view.

I do find many in society spend too much time on social media. It drives me crazy how much time my mother spends on it. At the same time I accept she can decide what she wants as my input wouldn't matter.

I witness many people I spoken to use FB to watch other people lives that might seem great and at the same process make themselves feel worse of themselves. I could never put myself into that torture.

There other things in life I had some bad habits. When I know it time to quit I normally just end it. I will give one example. Myself and other people I know is horrible keeping a place clean. This person lecture me, themselves and the other person we know should get their house clean within 2 months. Despite this person gave me the lecture, I was the only person got the cleaning done.

Most people I know quitting things they have a habit into is very hard for them to do. I never stood why?

I quit FB last year. It was hard at first just because of habit but I don't regret it at all. In part I quit because I would see politics I didn't want to see, everything seems to end up in a nasty argument, too many pictures of babies that I hate feeling obligated to "like", it sucked up too much time, I really only wanted about three "friends" to see my post, and maybe some other stuff. That's all, just every reason you can think of to leave FB. When I met a very socially connected woman last spring who has never even been on FB I decided there was no legitimate reason for me to bother with it anymore. Now I wonder why I ever used FB.

Ugh, Facebook was like taking care of two hundred puppies. Then that Farmville crap.

I haven't liked a picture of someone's food/kids in months, and I couldn't be happier about it.

Let me tell you all about my Facebook rollercoaster ride. I joined it in 2011 much later than my peers, and I very much was behind them socially. I was a lone wolf much of the time and had no interest in social media. Yet in college (and that's a whole other story so I'll keep the topic on Facebook here) I was tired of being alone and suddenly became a social butterfly. I joined Facebook, added a bunch of my classmates and started posting. A lot. Around 20 statuses a day. Just sharing trivial things about myself, my life. I wanted all those people to get to know me better and therefore increase the likelihood of forming friendships with them.

The result was the opposite. I had plenty of them remove me (and I didn't even find it obvious as to why at first, so I ended up confronting them about it). A few even blocked me. People kept on telling me to tone it down on the statuses, but I wasn't taking them seriously. I never listened to anybody. I even started playing Cityville and kept requesting multiple people to become my mayors. I ran out of game cash - I ranted about it on Facebook. I kept on sending zillions of private messages to people because I thought they were my friends. Boy was I wrong.

Due to my extremely fast-paced usage of Facebook, there was a point at which I was less interested in it - and that moment came just six months after I joined. I was logging in less, posting less. I soon started working and during that time I entered a temporary "calm" phase and started posting like the average user. This kept on going until I nearly stopped using it. I deactivated my account for 3 months, then came back - but still had no interest. So back in 2014 I went ahead and deactivated my account. For two years.

I reactivated it back in 2016 because I wanted to learn how to make a Facebook app, and have been on there for more than a year now; added those few real friends I got to make over the past couple of years. I downloaded messenger and have been texting more than average with it, and on Facebook itself I'm still hardly posting anything. Ever since I joined AC a week ago, I used Facebook even less frequently - and trust me, being active on AC makes tons more sense. Facebook really is overrated. I'm just wondering if it was one of my special interests. I once claimed that I use Facebook to deviate from reality, and someone jokingly (or not) told me that I was using real life to deviate from Facebook.

Never was a part of Facebook and never will be.

I already lived "Lord of the Flies" as a kid. Why would I want to endure that all over again online?

No thanks. :rolleyes:

I like Facebook, however I do only have friends on there that I actually know. I don't/haven't seen the vast majority in a long time, and every so often I delete people. The result is that I only have 96 fb friends, which would mean the two guys who do the show 'Catfish' would deem my account as probably fake :p

I do however block my Mum from seeing anything at all that I post or share on fb, because if she could see it I would get multiple pointless comments on stuff everyday. She also only shares out of date memes and bulls**t so I've also changed my preferences so nothing she posts shows on my timeline. This means I don't have to unfriend her and deal with that, but she has no idea that I've basically filtered her out. I've done this for someone else I know who has a tendency to share every minute of her day, along with hundreds of pictures of her children, who I have no interest in seeing.

I don't feel that I must like or comment on things people post, especially pictures of their brats (usually doing something totally normal and pretty boring) just because we are friends.

EDIT: I will however, always call people out on posting utter s**t on fb. This has resulted in my man-child cousin completely blocking me because he can't form of cohesive argument, and doesn't like a woman talking back to him ;)

Mr WereBear likes Facebook and has made actual friends from all over the world.

I basically only share a few things I find interesting, and my own pictures or blogs from work, which keeps me from being my True Self there :) My job requires I be fairly boring online :)

Which is fine with me; I have friends online and in RL, and I FB message them for get togethers, and a few people I keep up with that way.

It's only a tool. A tool is about how you use it.

Facebook isn't a problem to me.
It's marginally useful for contacting a couple of
my cousins.

My aunt can't figure out what to do other than "Like" things.
She has high anxiety over what she thinks is Facebook "forcing" her
to Friend people she's never heard of.
She has forgotten how to use the IM feature.
It's easier to just talk to her on the phone.

Two people do exhibit the most stereotypical FB behaviors:
pictures of the their lunch, the fact that they are standing in line to
see a movie, endless 'relationship' memes. But, since I have so
few FB friends, it's not a big deal. Sometimes inspires me-----to
satire.

I have considered quitting and then I think, well sometimes I like
to play that word game for a few minutes, and there are the
cousins and some other people I talk to.....every few months.
So it stays.

i quit facebook earlier this year when my sister started bullying my autistic friends,making fun of photos of my sensory equipment and fraped my account;posing as me,saying that i am not intelligent and she is very intelligent [or something like that],she then went absolutely mental when i told her im not laughing and its not funny to do that as she has always known i have intellectual disability so shes basically taking the piss out of my disabilities,my parents took her side and said i should have found it funny and that she is going through the early menopause so she will do things she cant help,sorry but no,im not taking bullying from anyone,i forgave her quickly as i tend to do with people but she refused to talk to me,saying she will never forgive me,i was like...wtf its you who has bullied me?

she is aspie but has never related to my autism and functioning,shes always bullied me and done things like smash plates/cups and tell my parents it was me [i couldnt talk] so i got hit.
i find fb to fast paced,and more like a chatroom which i cannot handle,i cant process and understand language quickly and i feel pressure on me to answer quickly.

so...i gave it up,i still have the account there so i can go back on if i want to but i just remember how bad fb is and remember it isnt worth going back on.

I quit facebook during lent and it honestly was super refreshing. Made me realize what cesspool facebook has become and how much less stress I experienced not seeing everyone's continuous bitching about politics.

i quit facebook earlier this year when my sister started bullying my autistic friends,making fun of photos of my sensory equipment and fraped my account;posing as me,saying that i am not intelligent and she is very intelligent [or something like that],she then went absolutely mental when i told her im not laughing and its not funny to do that as she has always known i have intellectual disability so shes basically taking the piss out of my disabilities,my parents took her side and said i should have found it funny and that she is going through the early menopause so she will do things she cant help,sorry but no,im not taking bullying from anyone,i forgave her quickly as i tend to do with people but she refused to talk to me,saying she will never forgive me,i was like...wtf its you who has bullied me?

she is aspie but has never related to my autism and functioning,shes always bullied me and done things like smash plates/cups and tell my parents it was me [i couldnt talk] so i got hit.
i find fb to fast paced,and more like a chatroom which i cannot handle,i cant process and understand language quickly and i feel pressure on me to answer quickly.

so...i gave it up,i still have the account there so i can go back on if i want to but i just remember how bad fb is and remember it isnt worth going back on.

Sounds like you are a nicer person and more emotionally intelligent than your sister. I do not care if she is an Aspie or not, behavior like that is immature, insensitive and pathetic. She needs to learn a thing or two from you. Your parents, too.

Last edited:
I have an account but I have so few people on it and use it so little that when I do, people tend to assume I am a "fake account".

Well, as the title says I want to quit Facebook for good, although it offers me the chance of connecting with friends in theory it just never happends in real life. I just unnistalled the app from my phone and plan to block it from my router.

Making a quick search I found a couple of (scientific) articles (among all the "news/garbage" sites) that have linked a decreased mental health in people who connect to FB/social networks often and I really think it is possible to be happier without fb, I mean I remember being a little happier when I didn't have any social network.

7 Ways Facebook Is Bad for Your Mental Health

5 Ways Quitting Facebook Will Improve Your Mental Health

I really want to quit facebook but I'm afraid this will be very hard to do, even quiting smoking is wayy easier for me, I mean I haven't smoked for at least a month and I don't feel like do ing it again but fb...well, I believe I waste like 4h/day in that sh**t.
Facebook was terrible for me! It seemed to involve a different set of social rules that I couldn't figure out well enough, plus all these normal filters and barriers that are naturally in place in real life are suddenly all removed - unless you spend all this time creating filters for each person as the uniquely relate to you. I always felt vulnerable after sharing things - it could always result in misunderstandings, or I'd feel sad that no one cared, then I would wonder about that. People who didn't have access to my photos anymore would get upset and want an explanation. People felt offended if they weren't added, but I felt intruded upon if I added them. I hated operating within this facebook filtration system of what to share with what people - it never seemed nuanced enough. I ended up deleting so many people and blocking the ones left from so much content, it seemed silly to be on there. Then finally, I posted what I thought was a really important post about a controversial person in my community - some very serious information was found out about this person that was shared publicly to prevent further harm/damage. When I posted it, no one bothered to respond! Well, one person argued, everyone else kept silent. All these folks who cared about "liking" pictures of ham sandwiches couldn't care enough about a serious issue with much damage occuring to certain people because of it.....then I wondered - WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE? Those people who were on my facebook as "friends". Were they truly friends, if a) I apparently didn't even know them well enough to understand their values; and b) they seemed to have crappy values? That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me and made me quit. I have never, ever regretted it! It is so much more normal to limit interpersonal involvement to what happens in real life. Also, I hated the feeling of being scrutinized, at any hour, for any of my posts or info on my profile. It was like being under an unpredictable microscope.

Sorry your sister sucks so bad, you're a good person to forgive her. I have had similar experiences.

I did, too. The way to do it is to unfriend everyone. I still have it for pics I don't want to lost. But no friends and no newsfeeds.

If you unfriend everyone it is HIGHLY unlikely you'd get the courage to friend them again.

I hated FB. It's a fake. It ruins lives. You can see nurses in a hospital checking their status instead of pts.

It is INSANE that half the world is on it .

I am glad t be off it. I am lonely as fu** but so are people on FB

For someone like myself Facebook used to be more of a curse than a blessing. Made me go even steeper downhill. I'm just glad I learned how to use it properly over a course of long dreary months.

If I decide to use Facebook again, it will be anonymous this time around. Zuckerburg can zuck it - if I want to be a cat, then damn him I'll be a cat. The internet's for cats anyways, everyone knows that.

I know how it works - follow a trend, upvote everything, post and share inspirational pics, share everything you find. Yeah, don't care much for that.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom