• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quiting Facebook

Sorry your sister sucks so bad, you're a good person to forgive her. I have had similar experiences.

Yes Joel, we read some of your experiences with your sister in your wife's book. Just gave you a great positive review for that. My sister I cannot trust either. Thinks of herself all the time. With family like that, who needs enemies.

Last edited:
Almost 2 days since the last time I logged in, not bad but the damn fb notification service is trying to make me fall lol, I've never received a mail notification, two days without it and I got an email "You have 12 notifications, 3 group updates", then I receved another one: "Someone has uploaded a new picture". Damn that page is like a drug dealer lol

But I'm not going to going back again at it, at least not for this finals week

I've closed my FB account at least twice up to now, but always end up going back eventually.

I stay away from it because I can't help but feel unhappy when I'm on there. I'm also not able to tweak the settings properly without spending so much time filtering content -- I had this habit of accepting requests from people connected to my friends. I don't know, it seemed all right back then, but it kind of spiraled out of control.

There's plenty of psychology behind Facebook, and it's quite sneaky. When I was taking a Social Psychology course in Coursera (that was fun btw! free too, you may want to check it out), there was a discussion about being conscientious about the use of psychology. Well, FB does the exact opposite. There have been studies about why, for example, posts keep appearing as you scroll down the page. Or, how people feel rewarded with the like system, despite there being no actual achievement in the equation.

As I mentioned somewhere here before, I do use the Messenger function for this one group of friends and the occasional pet food donation post. That's all. :) I'm thinking, if it doesn't help me live well, then there's no reason to use it.

The problem with Social Media in general, is that the majority of the main sites such as Facebook, Twitter et al, are hosted in North America or Canada, and under the First Amendment, Americans and Canadians can say almost anything to anybody they like and to heck with the consequences.

Outside those Countries, that's not so legal IMO, as this "Freedom of Speech" crap doesn't extend beyond their Borders.

My point is that you can get mortally insulted, report it to the Mods/Admin, and it's virtually guaranteed they'll do sod all because of said "Freedom of Speech" laws.

The problem with Social Media in general, is that the majority of the main sites such as Facebook, Twitter et al, are hosted in North America or Canada, and under the First Amendment, Americans and Canadians can say almost anything to anybody they like and to heck with the consequences.

Outside those Countries, that's not so legal IMO, as this "Freedom of Speech" crap doesn't extend beyond their Borders.

My point is that you can get mortally insulted, report it to the Mods/Admin, and it's virtually guaranteed they'll do sod all because of said "Freedom of Speech" laws.
As a citizen of the USA,I happen to like that we have Freedom of Speech because it lets us air what we think about things without being strangulated by our government and their edicts.

I really don't think that we should alter the way we communicate just to appease others who don't share our views.

My thoughts for those who don't agree with it is to simply avoid those sites if they are upsetting to the users.

First thing, I'd appreciate it if you could stop stereotyping us Americans. Please? You've done this before on another thread, and I can understand the anger you might have if it was someone from across the pond, but we are not all like that.

Another thing, we're not the only country with freedom of speech, and having so-called freedom of speech doesn't always put you above consequences. Pretty positive the UK has a similar ideology in place (which means you're free to speak your mind as you did here), so maybe keep that in mind when you discuss it?

Thanks for sharing this post. I also believe that Facebook is becoming so addictive sometimes. It becomes hurdle in my professional and personal life.

Facebook was too creepy and not very useful. It's weird when people you hardly know like coworkers find you and try to add you or message you. The only people I had on mine was family and one friend. I deleted mine and don't miss it. I like not being able to be found by others.

I went on a camping/roadtrip for 2 weeks, most of it with no access to internet/wifi, and quite a few days without phone coverage. I didn't miss it. I logged into facebook on returning as was reminded why.

1. Selfies. Narcissistic photos, usually at some point of interest, with your ugly head blocking the view. Why???
2. Bigots/racists/homophobes/Islamophobes/ Hanson supporters.
3. Stupid memes. Because reposting someone else's photo that they typed words over makes them more real than your own?
4. The my life is more wonderful than yours dynamic.
5. People that post about politics , or veganism, with every damn post.
6. I realise there are are a bunch of my "friends" that I've unfollowed for various lengths of time for being too damn annoying.

I'm thinking of disabling my account for awhile.

I deactivated a couple of weeks ago for 3 days, then logged back in and remembered why I deactivated int he first place. Facebook and messenger send my anxiety into full swing. I turned it back off the same day and have been about a week without it and have no urge to return now. I feel so much better for it.

First thing, I'd appreciate it if you could stop stereotyping us Americans. Please? You've done this before on another thread, and I can understand the anger you might have if it was someone from across the pond, but we are not all like that.

Another thing, we're not the only country with freedom of speech, and having so-called freedom of speech doesn't always put you above consequences. Pretty positive the UK has a similar ideology in place (which means you're free to speak your mind as you did here), so maybe keep that in mind when you discuss it?
I'd just like to point out, as an Englishwoman, I don't hate the USA or Canada, so it isn't a blanket hatred shared by all of us here!

I'd just like to point out, as an Englishwoman, I don't hate the USA or Canada, so it isn't a blanket hatred shared by all of us here!

...and I don't hate the UK, Canada or Australia at all :)

I know, I know, America doesn't always get a good rep because people here like to shoot their mouths without restraint (and guns :D), but some of us are truly disgusted by that kind of behavior and have to put up with it.

Speaking of, that's another reason why I quit Facebook...too many people pushing their agendas around, whatever it may be, and unfortunately social media is the perfect tool for just that. That's not something I stand for or ever will.

Last edited:
I deactivated a couple of weeks ago for 3 days, then logged back in and remembered why I deactivated int he first place. Facebook and messenger send my anxiety into full swing. I turned it back off the same day and have been about a week without it and have no urge to return now. I feel so much better for it.
You should just straight up delete it. It takes about a week for your profile to be gone forever though.

I never got the appeal of Facebook, if I'm going to go on-line and chat with people, I'm going to do it on a dedicated forum, and I don't see anything (beyond simple egotism) being a reason to post your every action online to get "likes". I know some people are only on it to stay in touch with relatives and stuff, but for me I would not find Facebook be be a site I would enjoy frequenting. The same goes for 4chan and Reddit (which is a nightmare for me to navigate)

I am another one who likes the fact that we have theoretical "free speech" laws. Theoretical is because their limits are ever shortening. Free speech can be cut off at any time if someone decides to label it as "Hate speech" This can be increasingly applied to anything that may disagreeable to the dogma of the powers that be. It leads to a further controlled media and the state increasing in power to silence the people. I'm happy that we can mostly still say pretty much what we like at least for a little while longer.

Its unfortunate if you get insulted on Facebook, but you can block a person and move on with you life.

To the original spirit of this thread. I have not used facebook in probably more than 5 years. There is a certain freedom about not being connected. "Ignorance is bliss." A statement of danger when a person needs to know, but facebook is full of time to waste. No one to hassle me, no meaningless "like" stuff, no co-workers prodding me in to stupid social events I have no interest in, no relatives badgering me about why I never had kids, and so on.

I am another one who likes the fact that we have theoretical "free speech" laws. Theoretical is because their limits are ever shortening. Free speech can be cut off at any time if someone decides to label it as "Hate speech" This can be increasingly applied to anything that may disagreeable to the dogma of the powers that be. It leads to a further controlled media and the state increasing in power to silence the people. I'm happy that we can mostly still say pretty much what we like at least for a little while longer.

Its unfortunate if you get insulted on Facebook, but you can block a person and move on with you life.

To the original spirit of this thread. I have not used facebook in probably more than 5 years. There is a certain freedom about not being connected. "Ignorance is bliss." A statement of danger when a person needs to know, but facebook is full of time to waste. No one to hassle me, no meaningless "like" stuff, no co-workers prodding me in to stupid social events I have no interest in, no relatives badgering me about why I never had kids, and so on.

Note my 'rating'. :)

Deactivating all my social media accounts was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I've never looked back.

I quit Facebook back in...I think it was 2011 when one of my friends signed me up for a bunch of spam without my consent. I had to return in 2014 for two reasons that happened pretty much simultaneously. Since then it hasn't been too bad except for one person I recently had to friend for organizational reasons...he's really misguided. It's for the best that I only have about 40 friends, of whom about half rarely bother to log in.

I have several friends on Facebook, including a few people I've known for years in the real world, and various Family members.

I did once close my account due to troll problems, like Piper on Neighbours is getting at the moment (but not as bad as hers), but overall it's the only chat fora I'm not banned on (yet) apart from here.

New Threads

Top Bottom