• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question for Artists & Photographers

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
Any ideas on storage solutions for lots of framed pieces?

I've got about 20 new frames that have been unboxed. But they're still all sealed in the plastic wrapping.

Once I've framed and mounted the pieces, I'm trying to think of a good storage solution. In an ideal world, if I had space I'd look for some sort of custom shelving. But for now, I need it to be:

Cheap
Space saving

I'm thinking I could do a single wrap round with bubble wrap and just stack them. But if anyone has any other ideas, or experience in this?

Ed

If they are small enough would a filing cabinet work? It would keep them safe and out of sunlight. The other option, if they are larger, would be a plan chest but these are not small.

Storing them vertically is preferable to stacking them
one on top of another. Same as how vinyl records
are placed on shelves. Side by side, not pancake
style.

That is what I know from experience.
Here's some tips from people who do it for a living.

How to Store Your Paintings Properly

• Store all paintings separately, and never stack them on top of one another or lay them against each other. If you’re short on storage space, consider using a painting rack or extra padding.
  • Lay your paintings on acid-free boards or paper, and then lay them on top of a flat surface.
  • Use a clean cloth to cover your paintings to keep dust and dirt from accumulating. If you plan to store them for a long time, consider airing them out every once in a while to prevent humidity from building up.
  • Whenever possible, avoid storing your paintings on concrete floors and walls. They could absorb the dampness from concrete, which can cause significant damage to the painting.
  • Keep all paintings out of direct sunlight whether you store them or display them at home. Too much sun can cause paintings to fade.
  • Make sure your paintings are out of direct heat, as this can cause the paint to get soft and possibly peel off.

Any ideas on storage solutions for lots of framed pieces?

I've got about 20 new frames that have been unboxed. But they're still all sealed in the plastic wrapping.

Once I've framed and mounted the pieces, I'm trying to think of a good storage solution. In an ideal world, if I had space I'd look for some sort of custom shelving. But for now, I need it to be:

Cheap
Space saving

I'm thinking I could do a single wrap round with bubble wrap and just stack them. But if anyone has any other ideas, or experience in this?

Ed

Can you hang all of them on a wall? I don't trust those "command strips" because a couple of them at my house have failed to support the weight advertised on the packaging. You could use real picture hangers with nails/screws to create a photography or art wall if you don't mind putting holes in walls.

I have so much art on my walls, shelves and tabletops that my kids have teased me that the house looks like a knickknack shop. I'd rather display everything than hide stuff in a closet.

Storing them vertically is preferable to stacking them
one on top of another. Same as how vinyl records
are placed on shelves. Side by side, not pancake
style.

That is what I know from experience.
Here's some tips from people who do it for a living.

How to Store Your Paintings Properly

• Store all paintings separately, and never stack them on top of one another or lay them against each other. If you’re short on storage space, consider using a painting rack or extra padding.
  • Lay your paintings on acid-free boards or paper, and then lay them on top of a flat surface.
  • Use a clean cloth to cover your paintings to keep dust and dirt from accumulating. If you plan to store them for a long time, consider airing them out every once in a while to prevent humidity from building up.
  • Whenever possible, avoid storing your paintings on concrete floors and walls. They could absorb the dampness from concrete, which can cause significant damage to the painting.
  • Keep all paintings out of direct sunlight whether you store them or display them at home. Too much sun can cause paintings to fade.
  • Make sure your paintings are out of direct heat, as this can cause the paint to get soft and possibly peel off.
Thanks, @tree! That is good information for all of us art lovers.

New Threads

Top Bottom