• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post music you've made!

Conversely, some people say, "It's all subjective." But, this isn't true, either, or we couldn't communicate.
I truly believe it can only ever be FULLY subjective. If only because of the nature of a value judgment. There truly is no good and bad music without someone's opinion. A shared opinion doesn't make it objective either. And opinions are all you need to communicate. We can point at aspects of music objectively, but only in our personal taste can we follow this up with "and that's something I like". If music discussion was purely descriptive it'd mean nothing to me.
I think of some of the most accomplished and famous pieces that were ever made, and I think of the people that just don't really care for them. To claim an objectivity in the value of those pieces is equal to denying those people their reality.

I truly believe it can only ever be FULLY subjective. If only because of the nature of a value judgment. There truly is no good and bad music without someone's opinion. A shared opinion doesn't make it objective either. And opinions are all you need to communicate. We can point at aspects of music objectively, but only in our personal taste can we follow this up with "and that's something I like". If music discussion was purely descriptive it'd mean nothing to me.
I think of some of the most accomplished and famous pieces that were ever made, and I think of the people that just don't really care for them. To claim an objectivity in the value of those pieces is equal to denying those people their reality.
I don't really disagree with this. When I said there were objective aspects of art I was thinking of story or song structures, for example. They must appeal to a certain way of receiving information to be popular. Not that all minds are identical, but we need some amount of overlap to communicate, especially at that level. You seem to allude to this, though, when you say we can point at aspects of music objectively. I didn't mean liking something was objective. That's why I said I can dislike music, but realize it isn't necessarily bad--it's just not for me.

My problem with the idea of everything being subjective is it becomes easy to ignore those objective qualities. I've seen people get a pass for bashing something without acknowledging that it still took talent to make. I don't think they had to like it, because we don't choose what we like or dislike. But, we do choose to be open-minded.

I don't really disagree with this. When I said there were objective aspects of art I was thinking of story or song structures, for example. They must appeal to a certain way of receiving information to be popular. Not that all minds are identical, but we need some amount of overlap to communicate, especially at that level. You seem to allude to this, though, when you say we can point at aspects of music objectively. I didn't mean liking something was objective. That's why I said I can dislike music, but realize it isn't necessarily bad--it's just not for me.

My problem with the idea of everything being subjective is it becomes easy to ignore those objective qualities. I've seen people get a pass for bashing something without acknowledging that it still took talent to make. I don't think they had to like it, because we don't choose what we like or dislike. But, we do choose to be open-minded.
Respecting effort is separate isn't it? Bashing something is simply mean after all. I don't think it's really a subjectivity problem; though I understand the desire to point at something substantial to defend the passion you feel towards a work of art. Related example: You could say I've bashed the Mona Lisa before by saying I wouldn't even pay 10 bucks for it to have it in my living room because I just don't care for the painting (was in a discussion about art-pricing for context). To me, it's an unimportant piece of art.
So am I ignoring objective qualities there? Why should I care that it took talent to make if I don't like the painting? I don't mind that it exists obviously, good for the artist for working hard, good for the people that love it, but none of that should matter to me. I just shouldn't be rude about expressing that. Don't dismiss art, but don't pull value out of nothing either.

A little wake up song to start the day , This is a song I wrote about the comfort in repetition and how sometimes things can change , with anything, partners , life , hobbies etc . What ever your favorite thing to do is .

F.... He'll this guitars. You played it? Sing it?

I wrote the music 75% of it , played bass , and backing vocals and producer on this song .
Some lyrics
Mike/Rhythm Guitarist who sang lead Vocals .

Lead Guitarist Zach Came up with the little intro and outro thing

We recorded in a house studio that was in the shape of a dome in the middle of the woods it was really cool !

They have a baby grand piano there , I remember it being fall time , and getting there early in the morning before everyone. Sitting down at the piano and writing most of it . The band came in I showed them . They added their parts and we recorded it that day .

S
I wrote the music 75% of it , played bass , and backing vocals and producer on this song .
Some lyrics
Mike/Rhythm Guitarist who sang lead Vocals .

Lead Guitarist Zach Came up with the little intro and outro thing

We recorded in a house studio that was in the shape of a dome in the middle of the woods it was really cool !

They have a baby grand piano there , I remember it being fall time , and getting there early in the morning before everyone. Sitting down at the piano and writing most of it . The band came in I showed them . They added their parts and we recorded it that day .
ounds good. It gave trip to '90. Vocal and music.... Really intrigued. I like it

S

ounds good. It gave trip to '90. Vocal and music.... Really intrigued. I like it
Thanks I really appreciate it . I have writing a lot more music and in a different band these day after a 10 years hiatus . Unfortunately don’t write to much in my older style , I can still write stuff like that when I want . just writing differently these days. Not sure if people will like it or not . But I do !

New Threads

Top Bottom