• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Possible treatment for ASD and ADHD.

OneEyedAsperger

Hi people, I'm also an Aspie and have discovered a simple trick which calms me down 24/7 and allows my mind to have a single focus, rather than the conflicting, stressful state I was born with.
I've not discussed this trick before, and continue to experiment.

The trick is to simply block one eye. I used a scratched pair of glasses, removed one lens and covered the other with black tape.

After 7 hours the mind begins to play tricks. It stops accounting for the blocked eye, and once in a while it swaps, and you can't see anything (complete blindness), and it takes effort or movement to switch back.

My understanding of what is happening in the autistic mind is lengthy so I'll keep it brief.

Basically, if you block the right eye (and optionally right ear) for Asperger, or the left side for Autism, you stop the unfocused overlay of two vision inputs, and alleviate the stress caused by great efforts needed to compensate autonomically.

I see these conditions as leading to a dreamy or unfocused condition, where amphetamines (I've never tried) wake the person up. Instead, the one-eyed-pirate approach just simplifies the mind's job to handle 1 input instead of conflicting inputs.

Further, I intend to reduce the black taped eye to perhaps 30% shaded, so as to encourage a dominant left hemisphere and maintain a more passive right hemisphere, whilst not affecting overall vision.

An example, beyond feeling much calmer, is I expected when shooting baskets with one eye that I would bomb out, but actually got equal or better score. Though depth perception is a problem, throwing straight is improved amazingly.
With 2 eyes I feel this indecision or conflict in my mind and throw wildly left or right sporatically. This never happens with my right eye covered. Dead straight.

I hope that some parents with ASD children, or oldies like me will try this virtually free method out, experiment further and share with others, so even severely affected ASD children can be helped to make their life better.

As said above it took 7 hours before my mind was trained, but after that the reaction is immediate for me every time. Eg. I feel the stress and complications hit me as soon as I remove the glasses. A vastly different experience. I don't like wearing them much, but if the partial tinting idea works, I think that will help a lot.

Comment, ask away and I'll try to come back and discuss.

Um, I would have to see a whole lot of clinical studies on any of this before taking it seriously. As it is, it just sounds like a very improbable theory.

Um, I would have to see a whole lot of clinical studies on any of this before taking it seriously. As it is, it just sounds like a very improbable theory.

Firstly it works for me so I thought I should pass it on. Secondly thanks for reading and your comment.

No clinical trials sorry, just a very easy, cheap way for real people to try without any foreseeable risk, a way to potentially improve the symptoms of people often suffering from a serious debilitating health condition.

Understand not everything happens through or for the approved and regulated authority systems. I'm not trying to get a drug passed by FDA, or selling a book, or to solicit money, this is just a treatment I found which works for my Asperger condition. So I thought I 'should' share it with others.

As a VIP member please explain, is this sort of anecdotal info not acceptable for this website? I'll happily leave if you only want professional opinions.
Note I hold a PhD Computer Scientist and three other qualifications. No medical or psychology background.

This is very interesting. I had thought of this very thing to tric the brain. I read about it, too. It's actually real. I have thought of this and other things to trick a malfunctioning brain. I would like to learn more.

Firstly it works for me so I thought I should pass it on. Secondly thanks for reading and your comment.

No clinical trials sorry, just a very easy, cheap way for real people to try without any foreseeable risk, a way to potentially improve the symptoms of people often suffering from a serious debilitating health condition.

Understand not everything happens through or for the approved and regulated authority systems. I'm not trying to get a drug passed by FDA, or selling a book, or to solicit money, this is just a treatment I found which works for my Asperger condition. So I thought I 'should' share it with others.

As a VIP member please explain, is this sort of anecdotal info not acceptable for this website? I'll happily leave if you only want professional opinions.
Note I hold a PhD Computer Scientist and three other qualifications. No medical or psychology background.

Anecdotes are ok for how to clean pots and pans or extend the life of your magic marker. But they are not really acceptable for medical conditions if you are suggesting others try it. Because autism still has many uncertainties all manner of explanations, treatments and cures are being presented/peddled from drinking bleach to it not being a medical condition at all, but simply a soul who chose to be a Star Child in their current reincarnation.

I don't mean to say you are not well meaning, but you are far from the first individual who has shared supposedly positive results from single sample uncontrolled experiments on themselves. Without clinical trial the results are essentially meaningless as they are subjective and may have zero to do with autism and potentially hazardous if not done under the supervision of a medical doctor. For instance do you drive a vehicle with one eye blacked out? Will it trigger migraines? The Computer Science PHd is impressive, but only gives you qualifications to study computer, not people.

If you really are serious about it you would have to take the long road and if not change fields yourself find someone in the field willing to take it on.

I had a stroke and my left eye didn't work for quite some time. I had to do vestibular rehabilitation which involved blocking one eye, and when I regained vision I had to look through little pinholes in glasses to correct double vision. I can't say that the experience of losing sight in one eye did anything to help or correct my Level 2 autism or my combined type ADHD, but I do like your theory and find it very interesting. Thanks for sharing. It's great that it seems to have helped you.

Basically, if you block the right eye (and optionally right ear) for Asperger, or the left side for Autism,
This is something I don't get, why they right eye for Asperger's and left eye for autism?? Also, the diagnosis of Asperger's is no longer used in many countries, just ASD.

In the many years I have been on forums like this one, I have come across umpteen people saying they discovered a treatment for ASD, ADHD, anxiety, depression and so on.

So basically the theory is that humans would be happier if we only had one eye?

I had my left eye bandaged/patched for two weeks once. The only effect it provided was making me even more clumsy. I was bumping into things, knocking things over and falling down much more often.

Last edited:
I scratched the cornea on my left eye about a decade ago and had to wear a patch for a while, the only effect was that I had no depth perception and kept knocking cups over when I tried to pick them up, it was incredibly annoying.

Interesting. Maybe for some it would work, but we don't know what your other conditions might be.

I know a more broad treatment based on environmental factors known to date: nutrient [vitamin & mineral] supplementation pre-natal and pre-conception seem to lessen the chances of individuals with genetic factors developping autism. So even as an autistic mom or if the father is, you can possibly maximize the chances your child will be a NT.

Autism is both genetic and environmental, so the only thing you can possibly change is the environmental, unless you make a point not to have unsafe sex/kids with autistics, which might increase the chances but you need the family tree verified, so you never know.

Environmental factors influencing the risk of autism

Nutritional Status of Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Do We Know Enough?

The only treatment I can get is in my mamma's belly. Thus, the health police should be watching if she's taking the right nutrients, then again now there is such a thing of mothers having too much power of decision and being able to refuse treatment, although they're not tested for mental illness and reasons why they are not pursuing the treatment, or her reasons for having children to begin with and her mental ability to raise healthy ones.

Last edited:
You need to do a clinical trial on multiple people in a controlled environment to prove something like that. Otherwise it’s just hearsay.

If it helps I don’t see the harm for limited periods of time. Messing with one eye for a prolonged period of time can damage your eye muscles though (same for wearing an eye patch).
I’d consider talking to your eye doctor about this if you’re using this system for more than 30 min a day.

If your mind can not handle the input you can limit the input. This seems to be the thing.to do when you can not handle the input. In this case there might be something else going on.

I suggest you to do some research on stereovision. It is fairly common for people to have vision conflict between their eyes. It is around 5 %. Anyway I'm so conflicted here that I have developed a neurological stereoblindness in my very early years. Vision conflict can be due to badly functioning eye muscles which can go worse when you get tired and it causes certain effects such as double vision or dizziness.

Anecdotes are ok for how to clean pots and pans or extend the life of your magic marker. But they are not really acceptable for medical conditions if you are suggesting others try it.

This seems pretty harmless to try. I don't feel ASD and ADHD are disorders or medical conditions, they are my brain and my brain is me and I am not a disorder or a medical condition :)(yeah... I have some pretty strong ideas about this)

Personally, the only thing that has worked for me is meditation. My brain moves like a tornado in a thunderstorm in a hurricane.

A regular practice of 10 minutes a day is pretty achievable and far better than an hour every other day. The goal is learning to go to your breath when your mind is all over the place... it is not about "not thinking".

I'm confused about what's confusing. :eek:

When we made those comments the entire first post appeared to be missing. it was just a thread titled "possible treatment for ASD" and a bunch of comments, and a couple of us had no idea what was being referred to.

I just scrolled back up and now it appears to be loading properly. Must've been a glitch that affected a few of us.

New Threads

Top Bottom