• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Parents of autistic child restrained by Police to sue

SimplyWandering

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/parents-s...ly-pinned-151609948--abc-news-topstories.html

Found this to be an interesting story, with all the issues going on with the police (for those living in the US, I am sure other countries have similar issues.) How would you deal with your autistic child being disruptive at school? Clearly the police and school system were in the wrong.

First and foremost was the responsibility of the school staff.

Last edited:
Why did I click on the comments section for that story? I knew it was just going to be all forms of hatred towards people with autism. And yet I dared hope.

"seemingly" held down and handcuffed?
I sense a bias.

At least they've trained him to be calm, sometimes, in handcuffs;
A valuable talent for Any American, these days.

Maybe we've been wrong, all along;
There most definitely seems to be treatment.

smh

The question is how do you deal with your disruptive child at school?
Parents, please understand, that society does not understand your child’s sometimes violent, aggressive, loud, screaming meltdown behaviors. Even though you might have given a de-escalation plan to the principle, or his teacher, that does not mean that all staff, or security/police, or bus drivers/attendants, or anyone else has the coping skills, knowledge, or experience to deal with meltdown extreme behaviors. The expectation that society should know what to do, or how to behave during a child’s extreme behavior is unrealistic. Sad and disturbing, of course.

The chain of people your child deals with daily just do not have the education, patience, nor skillsets that you the parents of autistic children do. It’s easy to say how bad and abusive the people in these kinds of stories/videos are. Of course it’s heart breaking. But I listen to staff people that deal with autistic children, tell their stories all the time. School and bus attendants. Bus drivers. Teachers. How they get punched, kicked, bitten- and observe that happening to the other children - by the meltdown child too! I myself have been bitten badly by a 12 year old autistic female.

Staff dealing with groups of children are on high alert all day long for the entire group of children. That’s the nature of all jobs involving cpkids. Your child might need a single person that is with him solely. A staff person who can watch for the first signs of discomfort before the meltdown. A staff person who knows your child and is not distracted by having to deal with 14 or more other kids too.

No staff should expect to go to work and get screamed at, punched in the face, slapped, kicked, or have objects hurled at them. You might have years being used to it. You have had a long time to learn coping skills. If you have any ideas how to teach every single person he has to deal with daily (teachers, classmates, school bus drivers/attendants, cafeteria staff, etc about your child’s needs, please share.

The name Autism Speaks is difficult to attack on purpose. You can't call it Autism Reeks, because it looks anti-autism. Clever moniker there.

It seems to me a simple "Hey, go easy, the child has autism," on the part of the school staff should have sufficed.

That is impossible once the meltdown has begun, and staff or other children have been injured, or property destroyed. I mean in theory, you are correct, but humans have emotions, and things happen very quickly.

Mary Anne: No such thing happened. He was hiding in a cubbyhole. They dragged him out. I'm going to quote part of the article:

What irks the parents most, Holum, who heads the Texas-based Advocacy Behavior Consulting, told ABC News, was that there did not appear to be any serious or imminent danger to the school authorities, himself or others when Thomas was placed in handcuffs.

"If he's being put in handcuffs just because of a tissue, that's outrageous," he said. "I do this professionally in over 50 districts. This is the worst I have ever seen and there's no close second."

If the situation had been as you described, you would have much more of a point. But it just wasn't, as far as I can tell. Not remotely.

Matter of fact, leave autism out of it, it was simply unacceptable to have handled this this way, for ANY child under those circumstances. Autistic or not.

Mary Anne: No such thing happened. He was hiding in a cubbyhole. They dragged him out. I'm going to quote part of the article:

If the situation had been as you described, you would have much more of a point. But it just wasn't, as far as I can tell. Not remotely.

I was speaking COLLECTIVELY of all these types of incidents continually reported here in the forums, as well as ongoing in the media. Also, the original poster posed a question not inclusive of this article.

We do not ever know the entire story. Media could not report it because schools are not allowed to divulge the entire story. So even discussing it, as with any child story in the news, is not getting all the facts.

Besides, We need to discuss these ongoing incidents collectively, as they keep happening everywhere around the world.

New Threads

Top Bottom