• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Parents of autistic child restrained by Police to sue

Do you mean to leave a child engaged in meltdown alone on the floor to repeatedly slap & punch himself in the face and head? Staff cannot allow that. There are some children that self harm. One staff person I know used to sit on the child to stop the self harm. Is this more acceptable? Probably not.

Straddling a kid during a violent meltdown is something I've seen several times. It was an interesting combination of restraining and soothing. Seemed to work well every time I saw it. But someone could post a ten second clip right in the middle of where it could be construed as abuse. All those kinds of intervention were recorded on cam.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/parents-s...ly-pinned-151609948--abc-news-topstories.html

Found this to be an interesting story, with all the issues going on with the police (for those living in the US, I am sure other countries have similar issues.) How would you deal with your autistic child being disruptive at school? Clearly the police and school system were in the wrong.

First and foremost was the responsibility of the school staff.

I'm very sorry but WTF?! The kid is Autistic, I don't know the severity of his Autism, but suffice to say he probably can't help his behaviour.

And for the local Constabulary to respond aggressively? How about no? Completely wrong way to deal with this particular situation IMO.

Far as I know now that the parents are suing the school, the school has the right to tell the whole story as far as what's relevant to the case. In the other case from last year I mentioned there are now 50 documented incidences that have been presented by the school.

Yes. Thanks. 50 documented cases, of which the media, nor we the public will not have privy to due to confidentiality laws. What if there has been 50 incidents also in the past with this particular child...of which we have no knowledge of, and the media does not either? The child’s records will be released in the court. Perhaps this child had a history of acting out in ways that we just do not know.

Staff, police, bus attendants, classmates routinely might have gotten injured. Perhaps it’s unfair to judge ANYONE in this case for their actions because the facts beyond the media story are unknown. A single incident does not create the entire story. That’s all I am trying to say. Let the judge figure things out before jumping to conclusions.

Every single incident like this does serve a good purpose in the long run- it helps create more autism awareness. It ultimately creates more educational trainings to teach police, and other workers to deal with these issues. On the other hand it’s extremely difficult to get hit, kicked, punched, slapped bitten, bruised, and screamed at by children one works with. We have to understand this side of autism too, and have compassion for the people around the meltdown child. The child harms the worker, and there is nothing the adult can do! I cannot work around children (or adults) who physically or emotionally injure me anymore (it has happened). I do not know how others do it, and I have to give them credit for showing up to work every day.

As I said, parents have years and years of training dealing with autism. Workers get one or two hours of training once if at all in their jobs. Bus attendants / drivers might get 1 hour (or less) at the start of the school year. It’s simply not enough- especially when they have an entire busload of hyperactive kids to watch.

Police and security guards are trained to stop violence immediately by any means. (Which is why they shoot and kill so many young black men in my city - often for no real reason - as the men are often running away and get shot in the back!). This issue goes far beyond meltdown autistic kids in handcuffs. Kids acting extreme are to be stopped immediately. The officer reacts as he has been trained. He might want to beat the crap out of the kid, but puts handcuffs on him instead. The officer is only being human- overreacting to a bad situation.

I am speaking not about this one situation posted above, but overall about all the autistic meltdown situations in the media, where an adult reacted in a negative way. They are human beings too, and probably sick and tired of all the abuse they endure over repeat incidents over time with explosive meltdown children. Collectively, the repeat incidences cause, one day, an explosion of bad reaction to the meltdowns. That’s when the adult explodes and does something that winds up in the pages of the news.

Straddling a kid during a violent meltdown is something I've seen several times. It was an interesting combination of restraining and soothing. Seemed to work well every time I saw it. But someone could post a ten second clip right in the middle of where it could be construed as abuse. All those kinds of intervention were recorded on cam.

Yes, whole heartedly agree- a tiny video clip taken out of context is not the entire story. We simply don’t know, and should not judge!

I have read on these forums that sitting on or “straddling” a meltdown kid is dangerous and life threatening. It can cause suffocation, I was told. So this behavior would make a person to wind up on the evening news, perhaps in jail, and labeled an abuser, should an adult do it too.

I'm very sorry but WTF?! The kid is Autistic, I don't know the severity of his Autism, but suffice to say he probably can't help his behaviour.

And for the local Constabulary to respond aggressively? How about no? Completely wrong way to deal with this particular situation IMO.

We do not know what happened prior to the video. We do not know this kid’s incident history nor his long term relationships with classmates, teachers, security, etc. Meltdown children engaging in abusive, harming, destructive, or injurious behavior might “not help it,” but that does not mean we should give them a free pass in continuing, or stand idly by either.

Yes. Thanks. 50 documented cases, of which the media, nor we the public will not have privy to due to confidentiality laws. What if there has been 50 incidents also in the past with this particular child...of which we have no knowledge of, and the media does not either? The child’s records will be released in the court. Perhaps this child had a history of acting out in ways that we just do not know.

Staff, police, bus attendants, classmates routinely might have gotten injured. Perhaps it’s unfair to judge ANYONE in this case for their actions because the facts beyond the media story are unknown. A single incident does not create the entire story. That’s all I am trying to say. Let the judge figure things out before jumping to conclusions.

Every single incident like this does serve a good purpose in the long run- it helps create more autism awareness. It ultimately creates more educational trainings to teach police, and other workers to deal with these issues. On the other hand it’s extremely difficult to get hit, kicked, punched, slapped bitten, bruised, and screamed at by children one works with. We have to understand this side of autism too, and have compassion for the people around the meltdown child. The child harms the worker, and there is nothing the adult can do! I cannot work around children (or adults) who physically or emotionally injure me anymore (it has happened). I do not know how others do it, and I have to give them credit for showing up to work every day.

As I said, parents have years and years of training dealing with autism. Workers get one or two hours of training once if at all in their jobs. Bus attendants / drivers might get 1 hour (or less) at the start of the school year. It’s simply not enough- especially when they have an entire busload of hyperactive kids to watch.

Police and security guards are trained to stop violence immediately by any means. (Which is why they shoot and kill so many young black men in my city - often for no real reason - as the men are often running away and get shot in the back!). This issue goes far beyond meltdown autistic kids in handcuffs. Kids acting extreme are to be stopped immediately. The officer reacts as he has been trained. He might want to beat the crap out of the kid, but puts handcuffs on him instead. The officer is only being human- overreacting to a bad situation.

I am speaking not about this one situation posted above, but overall about all the autistic meltdown situations in the media, where an adult reacted in a negative way. They are human beings too, and probably sick and tired of all the abuse they endure over repeat incidents over time with explosive meltdown children. Collectively, the repeat incidences cause, one day, an explosion of bad reaction to the meltdowns. That’s when the adult explodes and does something that winds up in the pages of the news.

What I know is that in the case of John Benjamin Haygood, multiple incidences of his alleged conduct and behavior that occurred at school were disclosed in detail to the media. That's how I found out so much about it and him. There's really not much left to be kept concealed.

Yes, whole heartedly agree- a tiny video clip taken out of context is not the entire story. We simply don’t know, and should not judge!

I have read on these forums that sitting on or “straddling” a meltdown kid is dangerous and life threatening. It can cause suffocation, I was told. So this behavior would make a person to wind up on the evening news, perhaps in jail, and labeled an abuser, should an adult do it too.

The kids weren't actually sat on. The adult was on their knees holding the kids arms down. Really it actually involved the least amount of force being used.

The kids weren't actually sat on. The adult was on their knees holding the kids arms down. Really it actually involved the least amount of force being used.

I could see even a small video clip of a paraprofessional “holding a kids arms down retstrained on the floor as causing widespread media frenzy and public outcry of “abuse.”

Some kids are way to big and strong too, and some cannot be retstrained without the sitting on them. But luckily, I am not the one having to make these decisions. I do not ever want to work with meltdown kids or be around them ever again.

I never knew a tissue could be construed as a deadly weapon. That is really a stretch by someone who wanted to do a little anger management of the poor child.

The reality is that people cannot be educated into compassion. The cop got mad and the kid was small. The most chilling part, "We're back to where we were the other day." That means it happened before.

One time would cause so much trauma in a child that it would take maybe a year of therapy IF he were now in a safe, gentle environment. But that this happened to him other times?

Get that kid out of there. Homeschool! I know many can't. They have to work , etc.......but ask a church to help private school costs? Sue for the money for a private school......they are doing that. The poor little kid! And he is only ten?

Now I need a tissue, too.

This is the background on this kid. Please read about his history.

John Benjamin Haygood: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

https://heavy.com/news/2017/04/john...ar-old-viral-video-police-okeechobee-touched/

This is the background on this kid. Please read about his history.

John Benjamin Haygood: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

https://heavy.com/news/2017/04/john...ar-old-viral-video-police-okeechobee-touched/

That's not really saying anything about what all they said he did to teachers and students. And in my entire education in schools for ASD kids have I ever heard of a kid behaving that way especially to that extreme.

But the thing I've learned with that case and others, is there's usually a lot more to the a story than a brief article like that presents.

For right now though as to the kid this thread is about, handcuffing him seems excessive and unorthodox to me. But if I knew more details, then I might change my mind.

Regarding this incidence, and any similar that occur, I would agree 100% with filing a lawsuit, with information discovery and letting things play out in court, to determine who was at fault. Only with such lawsuits will all relevant information be uncovered, and will, if the evidence warrants, such police, school systems, and even parents who are naive or selfish not only learn of the harms that occur at schools, but for the appropriate parties to be held accountable. My blame is not with the child with that condition who had a meltdown, as he did not ask for that condition, and likely did not ask or choose to be at that school. It was the parents and school administration who wanted or needed that.

That Autistic child likely had no control of certain behaviors that occured in that classroom with those surroundings and students, and if a sensory trigger was present, or sensory accommodation need not given, or if the teacher's desired or needed ways of doing things things did not match that pupils needs because of any Autistic rigid routine need or other personal or other need to be met with compassion or understanding. Yes, the teachers also need knowledge, coping abilities and a detailed plan that puts these children and safety first, which would reduce these meltdowns, the occurence and duration of such , to make the learning experience and environment best for all.

And so although I do agree no teaching or school staff should be physically harmed, if they did not physically harm the student first, or do some action negligently or maliciously that precipated that, the school system/teacher(s) though needs to take accountability, if any school staff negligence or misconduct occurred, and that does not mean wrongs done just in the classroom by staff. Administration decisions made prior, often without parental input, like regarding where best to place the child for classrooms, and with regards to bullying, accommodation and crises policies, and IEP plans that were originally general or crafted without asking parents first, can be not a fit for the situation. Sometimes administration refuses to bend on such items, or they may not follow their own policies.

Of course some parents can be to blame too, if they just wanted their child like in the local public school without looking into that school first to make sure it was a safe and acceptable learning environment, and if they made no great attempt to communicate specifically in detail about the child's Autism issues prior, and to talk to the staff that would be instructing their child, to get acceptable answers to their many questions, in writing if need be, too, including getting all the school's policies in writing, too. Parents must demand changes and clarification of any such issues they disagree with, too. Parents must not be naive, enabling and uncaring and assume harms are not occuring in the school. Coverups happen all the time. When do teachers and administration ever admit wrongs? So of course lawsuits are often needed to uncover the truth, if a disabled child's rights seem to have been potentially violated.

Specific school systems should not be obligated to accept any child if they feel that child could be a danger to others. That school administration and relevant staff must not assume all autistic persons are the same, and treat them the same. Some might not be a fit for a specific classroom, and then other educational or other recommendations must be made to the parents. It is not a parents fault though if the school system accepts a special needs student and tries to integrate that child either with regular students or with special needs students with different conditions that could be triggers to that autistic child. The right decision needs to be made there.

Also, school systems that accept special need students into a classroom must have the proper training, knowledge and coping abilities, and with a specific reasonable crisis plan in place, or else they have no business taking these students in. School systems must use their monetary resources and grants given to them wisely, and not scrimp on training and programs for those with special needs and where safety is involved. It should be seen as a privilage to be working with children with needs, and parents need the schools to put these children first and not themselves.

This does not mean children with conditions are all saints, or that some may not act out when no wrong has occurred. But, they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, and teachers and police need to be smart enough to use common sense. For instance, if such a child is calming down in a corner, do not try to restrain him, take him away then, or trigger him in those verbal and physical sensory triggering ways. Certain actions police and teaching staff did or did not do could have caused a meltdown in at least some of those cases, or caused the meltdown to prolong. This society still does not understand much about Autism we agree, and it took us as parents awhile to figure things out.

But, unfortunately, I think school systems, police departments, etc. will never admit outwardly any wrong regarding such meltdowns, anyways, even if they had all that knowledge what to do, coping ability or a plan in place, or if they secretly knew they were partly to blame. It is easier to blame that child as being some monster, or to blame the parent, and it is easier often for that entity to have policies that protect them foremost and that are catered to the masses to make things easier for them. Those other entities often focus on following just their rigid rules and protocols, and not making attempts to see persons as individuals, with individual needs, limitations, and individual ways to be handled. When persons enter the police and teaching profession, standards are set high. One mistake by these employees could mean life, death or much suffering. It takes a very strong, vigilant, yet empathetic flexible person to do well or succeed in these professions. Those who cannot be such, or be open minded and admit wrongs when they occur, need to consider another line of work. I see fault with all entities, except often with the special needs student.

Last edited:
Because the entire story would be the child’s entire school records, which by law would never be devulged.

The school cannot reveal the student's school records to the media due to privacy laws UNTIL parents sue the school. Once litigation ensues, the school can and should defend itself by use of the child's school records as relevant in the context of the litigation, but cannot give the records to the media. The court may or may not close the courtroom to media and third parties in order to protect the child's right to privacy. If the court allows for open pretrial proceedings and an open trial where the evidence related to the child's school record is presented, then it is fair game for the media and anyone else to acquire and publish that information. Bear in mind, that school records can also help the parents establish their claims against the school. It's a 2-way street.

The school cannot reveal the student's school records to the media due to privacy laws UNTIL parents sue the school. Once litigation ensues, the school can and should defend itself by use of the child's school records as relevant in the context of the litigation, but cannot give the records to the media. The court may or may not close the courtroom to media and third parties in order to protect the child's right to privacy. If the court allows for open pretrial proceedings and an open trial where the evidence related to the child's school record is presented, then it is fair game for the media and anyone else to acquire and publish that information. Bear in mind, that school records can also help the parents establish their claims against the school. It's a 2-way street.

I'm also wondering if statements of things that happened made by teachers and school staff, qualify as divulging school records.

I'm also wondering if statements of things that happened made by teachers and school staff, qualify as divulging school records.

I think it depends on what the teachers and staff say, to whom they say it, and the purpose of their statements. If the teacher said something to the police officer who came to deal with the child, then her statement would likely be admissible in evidence at trial (even though technically it is hearsay) and it would not constitute her violating the child's right to privacy. If she is talking to the media about the child's propensity for violence or his grades or something like that, then she may be improperly divulging information that appears in his written school records. She and the school would be fools to talk to the media about any of this and they probably know better than to do that.

Regarding this incidence, and any similar that occur, I would agree 100% with filing a lawsuit, with information discovery and letting things play out in court, to determine who was at fault. Only with such lawsuits will all relevant information be uncovered, and will, if the evidence warrants, such police, school systems, and even parents who are naive or selfish not only learn of the harms that occur at schools, but for the appropriate parties to be held accountable. My blame is not with the child with that condition who had a meltdown, as he did not ask for that condition, and likely did not ask or choose to be at that school. It was the parents and school administration who wanted or needed that.

That Autistic child likely had no control of certain behaviors that occured in that classroom with those surroundings and students, and if a sensory trigger was present, or sensory accommodation need not given, or if the teacher's desired or needed ways of doing things things did not match that pupils needs because of any Autistic rigid routine need or other personal or other need to be met with compassion or understanding. Yes, the teachers also need knowledge, coping abilities and a detailed plan that puts these children and safety first, which would reduce these meltdowns, the occurence and duration of such , to make the learning experience and environment best for all.

And so although I do agree no teaching or school staff should be physically harmed, if they did not physically harm the student first, or do some action negligently or maliciously that precipated that, the school system/teacher(s) though needs to take accountability, if any school staff negligence or misconduct occurred, and that does not mean wrongs done just in the classroom by staff. Administration decisions made prior, often without parental input, like regarding where best to place the child for classrooms, and with regards to bullying, accommodation and crises policies, and IEP plans that were originally general or crafted without asking parents first, can be not a fit for the situation. Sometimes administration refuses to bend on such items, or they may not follow their own policies.

Of course some parents can be to blame too, if they just wanted their child like in the local public school without looking into that school first to make sure it was a safe and acceptable learning environment, and if they made no great attempt to communicate specifically in detail about the child's Autism issues prior, and to talk to the staff that would be instructing their child, to get acceptable answers to their many questions, in writing if need be, too, including getting all the school's policies in writing, too. Parents must demand changes and clarification of any such issues they disagree with, too. Parents must not be naive, enabling and uncaring and assume harms are not occuring in the school. Coverups happen all the time. When do teachers and administration ever admit wrongs? So of course lawsuits are often needed to uncover the truth, if a disabled child's rights seem to have been potentially violated.

Specific school systems should not be obligated to accept any child if they feel that child could be a danger to others. That school administration and relevant staff must not assume all autistic persons are the same, and treat them the same. Some might not be a fit for a specific classroom, and then other educational or other recommendations must be made to the parents. It is not a parents fault though if the school system accepts a special needs student and tries to integrate that child either with regular students or with special needs students with different conditions that could be triggers to that autistic child. The right decision needs to be made there.

Also, school systems that accept special need students into a classroom must have the proper training, knowledge and coping abilities, and with a specific reasonable crisis plan in place, or else they have no business taking these students in. School systems must use their monetary resources and grants given to them wisely, and not scrimp on training and programs for those with special needs and where safety is involved. It should be seen as a privilage to be working with children with needs, and parents need the schools to put these children first and not themselves.

This does not mean children with conditions are all saints, or that some may not act out when no wrong has occurred. But, they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, and teachers and police need to be smart enough to use common sense. For instance, if such a child is calming down in a corner, do not try to restrain him, take him away then, or trigger him in those verbal and physical sensory triggering ways. Certain actions police and teaching staff did or did not do could have caused a meltdown in at least some of those cases, or caused the meltdown to prolong. This society still does not understand much about Autism we agree, and it took us as parents awhile to figure things out.

But, unfortunately, I think school systems, police departments, etc. will never admit outwardly any wrong regarding such meltdowns, anyways, even if they had all that knowledge what to do, coping ability or a plan in place, or if they secretly knew they were partly to blame. It is easier to blame that child as being some monster, or to blame the parent, and it is easier often for that entity to have policies that protect them foremost and that are catered to the masses to make things easier for them. Those other entities often focus on following just their rigid rules and protocols, and not making attempts to see persons as individuals, with individual needs, limitations, and individual ways to be handled. When persons enter the police and teaching profession, standards are set high. One mistake by these employees could me life, death or much suffering. It takes a very strong, vigilant, yet empathetic flexible person to do well or succeed in these professions. Those who cannot be such, or be open minded and admit wrongs when they occur, need to consider another line of work. I see fault with all entities, except often with the special needs student.

I wish you could switch places for a day with the overworked teacher who runs a overly large classroom of diverse students (with no teacher’s aides to help her); the principle running a large school constantly under constant budget cuts, protocol changes, and increasing scrutiny from all sides; the bus attendant that gets physically abused on a regular basis and is warned not to report the incidents; and police/ emergency personnel who have extremely busy lives and stress 24/7 and probably have a lot of PTSD themselves.

Why in your opinion should be seen as “a privilage to be working with children with needs?” All children have “needs” don’t they? I understand you are a parent and naturally understandably biased. Just curious.

Mary Anne, that is the easiest question I have ever been asked. Because in my opinion, persons with special needs are more special than regular students, who are either the ones with less needs, have more things working for them in life, and as those angels (sarcastically) are the ones often bullying, critiquing and rejecting the ones who look, act and feel different. Even if I was not a parent of two with such issues I would have said the same, as I have empathy for those especially who are being taken advantage of because of their special needs.

If this upsets you, sorry, but my posts are always very fair and unbiased, and I pointed out the wrongs from all sides, in a logical way. You never detailed any wrongs that occur from school officials, that occurs everyday in all schools. It is not students' and parental concerns about school administration or staff excuses. All they care about is a safe, caring and compassionate environment for learning. If the school cannot provide such, or staff cannot handle such, or are in denial of their wrongs, they will be getting more lawsuit judgements against them.

Last edited:
Mary Anne, that is the easiest question I have ever been asked. Because in my opinion, persons with special needs are more special than regular students, who are either the ones with less needs, have more working for them in life, and as those angels (sarcastically) are the ones often bullying, critiquing and rejecting the ones who look, act and feel different. Even if I was not a parent of two with such issues I would have said the same, as I have empathy for those especially who are being taken advantage of because of their special needs.

If this upsets you, sorry, but my posts are always very fair and unbiased, and I pointed out the wrongs from all sides, in a logical way. You never detailed any wrongs that occur from school officials, that occurs everyday in all schools. It is not students' and parental concerns about school administration or staff excuses. All they care about is a safe, caring and compassionate environment for learning. If the school cannot provide such, or staff cannot handle such, or are in denial of their wrongs, they will be getting more lawsuit judgements against them.

Why on earth would I “be upset?” I always appreciate what you have to say. I do not have to fully agree.

Hey, I'm going to make a bunch of baseless assumptions and posit that as justification for what happened and for what happens every day to special needs kids all across the globe. But wait, that's not all, I'm going to say that without actually saying it so that I have plausible deniability if somebody calls me out on it.

But that's not all; in the same breath, I'm going to take those assumptions as being solid facts and also imply that because the system is broken, that makes these incidences okay. I'll also draw an inappropriate comparison to black men getting shot by the police for some reason.

Yup, I know not crap about how any of this works, I have no idea the scope of this problem, but since I've had negative experiences in the past I'm going to staunchly defend the rights of teachers and police to traumatize autistic kids who aren't actually in control of themselves.

Of course, I'm also going to ignore the fact that these sick puppies might actually enjoy hurting children. Someone has already said it, "the cop got mad and the kid was small", but let's ignore that side of this. Noooooo, surely these people don't enjoy hurting the child they dislike. They're just doing their job the best they can, and we should give them a pass to do so because they have "a lot of PTSD".

In conclusion, it is my full intent to staunchly defend the most idiotic viewpoint one could possibly hold on this issue and I'll do all the mental gymnastics I need to do to make it make sense in my mind. Then I'll vomit the result all over my keyboard and put on the pretense that I'm high-minded about the whole thing.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do.

@Gritches

I like your sarcasm, and what you say in this forum through that truth through sarcasm (humor) mixed in with the direct truth. To you, I and many others here, it may seem frustrating to have to even point out in detail the obvious. There are still alot of people in this world that cannot even grasp even the basics of Autism, including those professionals giving services to them, like being clueless about sensory triggers and needs, and how those Autistic children view the world differently that the NTs, through defails, logic and their own routine needs because of genetic differences, and they cannot act as to the robotic desires of the teachers or school administrations, geered to the NTs, etc.

Those with Autism are trying their best to live in a world not created for them. They would create their own world if there was enough of them and they could put those NTs back in their places, yet many of those professionals want these ASD students to think, feel and act like the other students. It does sound like Autism Speaks line of thinking, 'These are little scary monsters that need to be dramatically changed. We and the rest of society are the victims, and obedient or perfect ones. We will take your money, but not help your child in the ways they need, but in the ways we need to get more money. We know your child best, you ungrateful people. We are suffering at their little hands. We want a negative publicity campaign about Autism and those with ASD, so we can convince you all we need a cure and get more resources and studies done. We know that cure won't happen, but give us your money anyway, so we can get rich off of your children, while harming them in the process."

Does this mean there are not some teachers and medical persons who care and truly "get it" and put forth real efforts and individualize the learning, if need be, No, but far more such professionals are clueless as they are not trained or do not have the personality to show true care, and as they will follow their rigid desires or protocols, be ignorant, and want to blame everyone else but themselves. I am so glad we did not put our child/children in the school system, more than a week that we had given that attempt a try, after my wife witnessed up close that cluelessness and neglect. If our child stayed any longer, we as parents would have been blamed for their wrongs, and CPS would be at our doorsteps. Again, since when do schools staff and administration admit wrongs? They will "always blame others." That is telling.

@Gritches

I like your sarcasm, and what you say in this forum through that truth through sarcasm (humor) mixed in with the direct truth. To you, I and many others here, it may seem frustrating to have to even point out in detail the obvious. There are still alot of people in this world that cannot even grasp even the basics of Autism, including those professionals giving services to them, like being clueless about sensory triggers and needs, and how those Autistic children view the world differently that the NTs, through defails, logic and their own routine needs because of genetic differences, and they cannot act as to the robotic desires of the teachers or school administrations, geered to the NTs, etc.

Those with Autism are trying their best to live in a world not created for them. They would create their own world if there was enough of them and they could put those NTs back in their places, yet many of those professionals want these ASD students to think, feel and act like the other students. It does sound like Autism Speaks line of thinking, 'These are little scary monsters that need to be dramatically changed. We and the rest of society are the victims, and obedient or perfect ones. We will take your money, but not help your child in the ways they need, but in the ways we need to get more money. We know your child best, you ungrateful people. We are suffering at their little hands. We want a negative publicity campaign about Autism and those with ASD, so we can convince you all we need a cure and get more resources and studies done. We know that cure won't happen, but give us your money anyway, so we can get rich off of your children, while harming them in the process."

Does this mean there are not some teachers and medical persons who care and truly "get it" and put forth real efforts and individualize the learning, if need be, No, but far more are such professionals are clueless as they are not trained or do not have the personality to show true care, and as they will follow their rigid desires or protocols, be ignorant, and want to blame everyone else but themselves. I am so glad we did not put our child/children in the school system, more than a week that we had given that attempt a try, after my wife witnessed up close that cluelessness and neglect. If our child stayed any longer, we as parents would have been blamed for their wrongs, and CPS would be at our doorsteps. Again, since when do schools staff and administration admit wrongs? They will "always blame others." That is telling.

Well spoken. I do always appreciate your writings. However, when I have been bitten by a 12 year old autistic girl, and no report was made where I worked; and I continually hear from parents of autistic children, and clients (one disability bus attendant, one preschool child worker, one primary grade bus driver); in addition to my own family members: 2 policemen, one step-sister overwhelmed teacher (who has taught years as both 1st and third grade); and I AM autistic , AND I work in an enormous city region with autistic adults daily, and have worked in schools with young autistic kids myself....I can tell you that these violent, destructive and emotionally damaging incidents/ meltdown experiences ARE ongoing, and cause PTSD TO us staff! To deny it’s NOT happening, or never happens is plain wrong.

It’s just wrong. I am NOT vilifying anyone. I realize autistic children can not help their meltdowns. But no one protects us staff either. Certainly on these forums, no one understands. I read on these forums how autistic individuals recollect how they kicked, or hit their teachers, and no one says anything! But boy, say something from the other end as the one getting punched in the face, kicked, slapped, or bitten and all of a sudden we are accused of being “haters of autistic people.” It’s just not true.

New Threads

Top Bottom