• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ooh Noes...Facebook is down...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before, and I'll say it yet again:

Facebook never existed to bring people together. It's one and only function, from the very beginning, was to get you addicted to the dopamine release of likes and notifications, and thus endlessly funnel you towards ads, which is what they REALLY care about.

I mean, really, the thought process of your average corporate exec goes something like: "Money? Money... money money, money. Money money ADS money ENGAGEMENT money money DURRRRRRR"

So it's no wonder that it ended up being pretty much as you described.

As usual, I advise anyone who uses it to just dump it... entirely. You'll be so much happier.

It's a bloody waste of perfectly good pixels that could be used for something less terrible. Like a picture of a dead horse, or maybe a Windows bluescreen error.

As a person who is (er... was) involved in the artistic community pre-Covid o_O, I keep a Facebook account because it helps me track those communities and their events

I don't "like" any corporate pages, I do "like" some local small business pages, in particular some favourite cafes and coffee shops, I do "like" lots of pages related to the local artistic scene... It is a big part of how I maintain connection and information about their events, not as much right now with Covid restrictions...

And I do know my photography isn't very popular anyway, so I don't worry that much about how few "likes" I get because I don't get very many anyway :p

I had a bit of a problem yesterday, but seems to have corrected itself ( correction! Hardworkers correcting the situation).

Whatsapp was down too, which makes sense for two reasons: it is owned by Facebook and due to the encryption update or something, going down, has caused worldwide halt and I read that all the major tech companies were scrambling to correct everything and I do say: kudos to them, because it must be so stressful for them.

People complain about the messages on facebook.
Why do they continue to view them?

A person isn't forced to accept friendship requests or
to view messages by "friends of friends."

I do have a FB account but it basically just serves as a way to talk to my girlfriend through messenger and occasionally post one of the memes on my computer (only the ones that wouldn't upset my family, though).

I read that FB had to announce the outage on its competitor, Twitter. Ouch! :D

upload_2021-10-5_10-57-59.png

What we are seeing is proof that "we can't have nice things",...when emotions over rule logic.
You have never participated in a mock jury trial, have you? My experience is that most jurors act emotionally, and factual information and culpability/responsibility (in the case of torts for injury) are neglected entirely. This is how so-called normal people think.

You have never participated in a mock jury trial, have you? My experience is that most jurors act emotionally, and factual information and culpability/responsibility (in the case of torts for injury) are neglected entirely. This is how so-called normal people think.
I think it is a neurotypical type of thing to do. I understand going based off of emotions, but NTs do so excessively.

People complain about the messages on facebook.
Why do they continue to view them?

A person isn't forced to accept friendship requests or
to view messages by "friends of friends."

Honestly quite a bit of it is that addiction factor.

Things like the likes, notifications OF the likes, getting *ahem* "friends" added, or the feeling of white-knighting and winning arguements online (lol), and stuff like that... it all drives those dopamine hits. Which sounds like a bad drug situation, but that's literally what it is: You get addicted to that.

What's more, social media is literally engineered to produce psychological effects that lead to that. I remember seeing an article (or was it a video?) where someone was talking about one of the social media platforms (I cant remember which it was) and how the notifications on your phone works. Where, the notifications would pop up, and you'd poke it to see what it was, and there'd be this little delay, right, as it "loads"? Yeah. Wasnt loading. After all, it doesnt NEED to... it already did so, in bringing the notification to you! The delay was engineered into it on purpose to build up that sort of "omigosh cant wait to see what it is" sort of suspense, adding to the psychological trap that this stuff already is, but in a subtle way. And that's just one example.

People keep going back and looking at this stuff, even while complaining about it, because they're literal addicts in far too many cases... they cannot stop themselves (though of course they will tend to SAY otherwise. The ol "I can stop whenever I want" routine). And companies like Facebook will spend absolutely silly amounts of money researching how to get people into that state.

The Main Jokes Revolve Around People Flocking to Twitter, But One Sheriff’s Office Warned People Not to Call 911
The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s office, meanwhile, is asking people to please not call 911 about the outage.

Honestly quite a bit of it is that addiction factor.

Things like the likes, notifications OF the likes, getting *ahem* "friends" added, or the feeling of white-knighting and winning arguements online (lol), and stuff like that... it all drives those dopamine hits. Which sounds like a bad drug situation, but that's literally what it is: You get addicted to that.

What's more, social media is literally engineered to produce psychological effects that lead to that. I remember seeing an article (or was it a video?) where someone was talking about one of the social media platforms (I cant remember which it was) and how the notifications on your phone works. Where, the notifications would pop up, and you'd poke it to see what it was, and there'd be this little delay, right, as it "loads"? Yeah. Wasnt loading. After all, it doesnt NEED to... it already did so, in bringing the notification to you! The delay was engineered into it on purpose to build up that sort of "omigosh cant wait to see what it is" sort of suspense, adding to the psychological trap that this stuff already is, but in a subtle way. And that's just one example.

People keep going back and looking at this stuff, even while complaining about it, because they're literal addicts in far too many cases... they cannot stop themselves (though of course they will tend to SAY otherwise. The ol "I can stop whenever I want" routine). And companies like Facebook will spend absolutely silly amounts of money researching how to get people into that state.

I was already off of Facebook when the movie The Social Dilemma was released. If you haven't seen it, it gives some confirmation to what you are saying. https://www.thesocialdilemma.com/

They A.I. computers have over a decades worth of finely tuned data on how to manipulate a population of humans. We are so screwed.

I joined FB around 2008 when I started to receive requests from my friends at high school, I didn't want to really use fb, so far most of my friends and I used Hi-5 (I never used Myspace lol). Anyway, I always felt "social networks" werent designed or created to unify people, bring them closer. If it was free, then you were the product they sell. In recent years, as anyone has seen, violence, fake news and all types of crap have increased on internet, and the clearest sign has been on fb.

For years I have tried to delete my account, I only used it for science new from verified sources my university's news and talk with my "friends", and I only added those who I personally knew face to face, about 240people, never more. But the recent news, the 60min interview with the "whistleblower" and todays hearing with the congress were the final nail in the coffin. I deleted my account, and to make a bigger commitment on this goal I deleted all my photos (although lets be honest, the pictures never delete really, they are probably store in some FB server). But at least I want to stop being feed misinformation, hate and violence, I just want to stop fed my head with all the negativity fron social networks.

I saw a post on r/insanepeoplefacebook yesterday that claimed only people vaccinated for covid had lost contact with Facebook. You've gotta love these geniuses.:rolleyes: They've turned social media into anti-social media.

I saw a post on r/insanepeoplefacebook yesterday that claimed only people vaccinated for covid had lost contact with Facebook. You've gotta love these geniuses.:rolleyes: They've turned social media into anti-social media.

I changed this because it sounded like I was being grumpy. :p
Anyway, I agree.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom