• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ooh Noes...Facebook is down...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

rach3rd

My response: cat /dev/null > Facebook

Twitter right now:

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 4.42.34 PM.png

screen-shot-2021-10-04-at-4-42-34-pm.14667

Last edited:
So, it's as if a huge sentient pile of desiccated cat turds that goes around farting on people suddenly passed out.

71348021.jpg

Good question @Kalinychta! The "cat" utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. "/dev/null" is a special file used to write. Whatever you write to /dev/null will be discarded, forgotten into the void. So the command reads: send "the void" to Facebook. In other words delete Facebook from existence. :)

Rant alert: I am hoping Facebook, as we know it, will cease to exist. It gives a voice to a lot of very dysfunctional people. The more bizarre the posts and responses, the greater the attention given to it. It brought about the "troll" and the "a-hole" in many of us,...some people just seem to get some sick satisfaction with "destroying" each other on-line. There is an inherent flaw in the A.I. programming that, over the past decade or so, has created such a divide in our country that Facebook has become, essentially, a national security threat. The harm that Facebook creates in the minds of its followers in terms of the dopamine response, and in some cases addiction, has really upset our entire social structure in terms of face-to-face interpersonal relationships and skills. It also is a very effective tool for spreading false information and fear-based BS. Furthermore, don't get me started on these spin-off apps like Instagram "Reels", Tik-Tok, and the other apps that have insecure women dancing around and doing acts scantily clad and nude. The weaknesses in some people's minds have been exploited and put on display for the world to see, and yet, somehow many have not the intellect to see the larger picture. Freedom of speech is a wonderful concept, but in practice, still requires some nuance and some degree of moderation,...because it is destroying us. What we are seeing is proof that "we can't have nice things",...when emotions over rule logic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked FB when it first came out when I was in college. Back when it was a networking app like for college students only. It lost its appeal once it went completely public and anyone could join. Then it just became super annoying because of all privacy issues and now has become as toxic as Twitter and Instagram with too much disinformation and virtue signaling.

Last edited:
Rant alert: I am hoping Facebook, as we know it, will cease to exist. It gives a voice to a lot of very dysfunctional people. The more bizarre the posts and responses, the greater the attention given to it. It brought about the "troll" and the "a-hole" in many of us,...some people just seem to get some sick satisfaction with "destroying" each other on-line. There is an inherent flaw in the A.I. programming that, over the past decade or so, has created such a divide in our country that Facebook has become, essentially, a national security threat. The harm that Facebook creates in the minds of its followers in terms of the dopamine response, and in some cases addiction, has really upset our entire social structure in terms of face-to-face interpersonal relationships and skills. It also is a very effective tool for spreading false information and fear-based BS. Furthermore, don't get me started on these spin-off apps like Instagram "Reels", Tik-Tok, and the other apps that have insecure women dancing around and doing acts scantily clad and nude. The weaknesses in some people's minds have been exploited and put on display for the world to see, and yet, somehow many have not the intellect to see the larger picture. Freedom of speech is a wonderful concept, but in practice, still requires some nuance and some degree of moderation,...because it is destroying us. What we are seeing is proof that "we can't have nice things",...when emotions over rule logic.

I've said it before, and I'll say it yet again:

Facebook never existed to bring people together. It's one and only function, from the very beginning, was to get you addicted to the dopamine release of likes and notifications, and thus endlessly funnel you towards ads, which is what they REALLY care about.

I mean, really, the thought process of your average corporate exec goes something like: "Money? Money... money money, money. Money money ADS money ENGAGEMENT money money DURRRRRRR"

So it's no wonder that it ended up being pretty much as you described.

As usual, I advise anyone who uses it to just dump it... entirely. You'll be so much happier.

It's a bloody waste of perfectly good pixels that could be used for something less terrible. Like a picture of a dead horse, or maybe a Windows bluescreen error.

Good points. I agree with you about how social media like FB (I've never had a FB account and have no desire for one) has brought about the "troll", etc. That speaks to the behavior of some individuals. The other aspect of FB which I think is far more of a threat is FB's ability to manipulate the social consciousness. In a certain real sense, it's a massive and effective mind control and propaganda tool. That not because of "Basement Trolls" spouting off; that comes about directly by FB at FB and what it chooses in relation to information it manipulates and allows to be presented or not presented.

There are many people who actually disbelieve that that's happening. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I don't have a lot of trouble with facebook.

There is one cousin that I put on "Snooze" if/when
he posts too much nonsense.

I have 20 facebook 'friends.'

If I was friending strangers there more likely would
be offensive material. But I don't, so that cuts down
the likelihood of obnoxious posts.

I don't have a lot of trouble with facebook.

There is one cousin that I put on "Snooze" if/when
he posts too much nonsense.

I have 20 facebook 'friends.'

If I was friending strangers there more likely would
be offensive material. But I don't, so that cuts down
the likelihood of obnoxious posts.

@tree, I think you may be one of a relatively few people that know how to navigate and utilize Facebook. I too, made some attempt with Facebook, twice,...a few years on,...cancelled my account for a year,...then tried again for about a year with an anonymous account,...and cancelled again. I was being constantly distracted and confused with the overall lack of logic in the posts and responses,...how so many just embraced BS,...how so many never made any attempt to fact check. For me, it put a magnifying glass on just how bizarre people can be. I tried to filter and block what I could, but it just reinforced my thoughts about myself that I was an "alien observer". I was and am so much happier not being on Facebook.

My experience with Facebook was people telling me to off myself because they disagreed with me.
My experience with Instagram was mainly transphobia and bodyshaming- but on the complete other end of the spectrum, also people fetishizing me... which is why I don't like posting pictures of myself anywhere anymore. I've been brave enough to post a few here because my interactions with people on this site have been generally very positive.
I had Snapchat for a while in 2016 but I had bad experiences with that too. People use it for booty calls and there are a lot of eggplant emojis.
I'm too old to have a Tiktok so I have no experience there. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom